Sensible and bombproof breeds - help with new pony please!

madginger

Visit site
I've decided that a mad chestnut mare is not for me following a serious broken ankle after a bad fall! Very long story!!

So, I'm looking for a calm, sensible and bombproof pony for myself and possibly my young child to share.

I'm tempted by Connemara's, not too keen on heavy cob types, and I know there is no guarantee with these animals but is there a breed out there which is more good natured and sane!!

Also, I've been looking at horses for sale at Meadow stud, does anyone have any experiences with them? Good or bad, PM me if you like

Thanks

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
I really do not think its about breeds. It's about how they were handled and trained from a young age. I have a new forest pony who is as evil as sin - wants to murder me on a daily basis. I also have a wb x tb who is the most safe, sane bombproof horse I've ever come across.

PorkChop

Visit site
Don't focus on particular breeds - however a good native advertised as a schoolmaster would be what I would recommend :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Don't dismiss a cob out of hand. A sporty one is so much fun with inbuilt sensibilities other breeds can lack.

I would probably avoid a welsh from what you've said, they are my fave breed but they are often a bit highly strung.

Connies tend to have an extra grand on their value because they are Connies. I've never had one so don't have anything else to say.

Sporty highland could fit the bill as well.

Find the right type and temperament is my main advice.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Morgans can be good, as they seem to want to be helpful, friendly and co-operative - although some can be "hot." One American lady said that they are very forgiving of their rider's mistakes. They can be spoiled as any other breed, with bad handling - either too soft or too harsh - but one that is well brought up can easily be an adult and child mount.

It is a shame there are not more of them around, Morgans have won HOY in driving three or four times (different horses) and some are currently doing well eventing, show jumping, showing and endurance.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
As others have said, maybe dont get fixated on a specific breed.
That said ..... I had 2 New Forest ponies for my daughters, both very different characters, but both brilliant for all round fun, and I exercised them during the week to keep them fit/sensible and had so much fun.
My own pony now is a Haffie/Fjord and he is very calm and sensible, but goes up a gear for my now grown up daughter.

Hope you find something to suit all.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Twice I've decided what I wanted in a horse and twice I ended up with something different.
My first was that I wanted something bigger than 15.2hh, over 7 years old, already backed, warmblood. I got a 4 year old, 13hh (now 14.2hh) not yet backed highland.
I was looking for a companion so wanted small a small pony (but not a shetland), any age and was looking for a Welsh C as love them. Came back with an unhandled, 13.3hh (now 14.2hh) 3yr old New Forest.

Know what qualities you are looking for in a horse and go see any that meet those criteria. I would always recommend a nice highland but that's my preference.

rowan666

Visit site
Don't dismiss a cob out of hand. A sporty one is so much fun with inbuilt sensibilities other breeds can lack.

I would probably avoid a welsh from what you've said, they are my fave breed but they are often a bit highly strung.

Connies tend to have an extra grand on their value because they are Connies. I've never had one so don't have anything else to say.

Sporty highland could fit the bill as well.

Find the right type and temperament is my main advice.

^^exellent advice

stormclouds

Visit site
Like everyone else has said, don't be swayed by breed - go for temperament/manners/upbringing, and how secure you feel with them.

I'd say maybe not a Connie - they can be pretty sharp and quirky (from the ones I know anyway), and while they are great all rounders, some are definite live wires! I've had a New Forest and own one now - both the most brilliant boys I've ever met. Flew round courses of 85cm, bold over xc, hacked out, quick learners.

Victoria25

Visit site
Just go by the nature of the horses you view and go from there. I got a 3 year old ex racer straight from the track a few years ago and she'd walk with her eyes shut if she could ... 200% bombproof - amazing horse!

willhegofirst

Visit site
My connie certainly would NOT suit you, he can spin on a sixpence and spook at a flower, though I Know a couple that would, so as others have said don't look for a particular breed, but a good native advertised as suitable would.

Nari

Visit site
Ignore breeds, for every pony that fits what people think a breed should be there's another that's the complete opposite. My welsh D can look hot at times but he's the easiest, safest pony you could wish for & always has been - as a 5 yo my friend's 6 yo daughter could hack him off road without a lead rein & go ahead for a trot (she had to have a lead rein on the roads simply because we felt it was unsafe not to when her feet didn't come below the saddle flaps) - yet a lot of people won't even look at Ds because of the breed reputation.

I'd start by looking locally, simply because it's easier to check out reputations. Look on tack shop for sale boards & ask if they know the pony advertised, riding & pony club sites etc. Be honest about what you want. Try what sounds right but if you don't get a good feel then don't get talked into buying. Dealers can be good, but unless they're a producer of quality horses I must confess that I'm suspicious about why a pony is there - why would a bombproof hack that's a nice person to handle not be sold privately?

Bernster

Visit site
I'd agree, but if we are going to stereotype (!), then you're probably going for a more cold blood type breed - natives, ID, Connie, rather than a warmblood/TB type. Always plenty of exceptions either way - attitude, temp and handling are most important and pay particular attention to whether they are already doing the job you want AND with a similar type of handler/rider.

LHIS

Visit site
Don't think it's as clear cut as identifying a 'safe' or 'bomproof' breed. As many others have said it's all down to how they've been handled and brought on. I know 1 crazy Connie, and 1 level-headed Connie; a friend of mine has 2 level-headed TBs.
A native breed / cob / welsh X might be the way to go. I learnt to ride on a Fell mare who was the calmest pony I've ever met - however my sister rode her half sister, and she was nuts. Go for temperament over breed.

L&M

Visit site
I have owned both a connie and a coloured cob - both were as sharp as nails, and not for a nervous/novice! The quietest horse I have owned was a tb......!

So echo what others have said - don't necessarily go for a set breed.

Good luck in your search x

TTK

Visit site
I'd suggest a Quarter Horse because they have many fine qualities, but, sadly, in the UK you will never find a nicely brought up one with manners to die for and established training for sale. This is because no one who has one sells it. Sigh.

QueenDee_

Visit site
As others said it really depends on the horse.

That said, I have had a connemara and wouldn't have put a novice on him, he was sharp and even at 15 years old was still a massive baby, although a lovely person on the ground.

I'd perhaps be swayed towards an ID. My last mare was an IDxTB and was lovely (although the TB side came out occasionally so she too was quite sharp). However, despite not having had a full ID myself, I have never encountered a bad one. They seem to be a versatile and sensible breed.

I'd advise looking for something that has done a lot of hacking. I feel this is where my connemara fell down as before coming to me he hadn't done much, so there were a lot of things he just hadn't encountered before.

exracehorse

Visit site

Go and view lots of different types. I was looking for a connie type, something with some fuel in the tank if required but, gentle, kind, sensible, I found and bought an American Saddlebred, a breed Id never heard of before, last week, I threw my 9 year old up on her back and he cant ride, he took her around the schooling ring all by himself. she is a poppet.

Last edited:

Lintel

Visit site
Another one for definite nature and not breed.
Have ridden am absolute sweetheart of an ex racehorse and know of plenty that are off the wall!
I have a highland pony and although a real sweetheart and as bombproof as they come he gets bored easily and can throw some cheeky wee moves! !
Although I think your right to write off ex racers, warmbloods, Arabs and firey Welsh types I think totally leave your options open! :D

Enjoy horsey hunting!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
In your position, I don't think you can do better than to go for a ride and drive pony/horse. They are usually calm by nature and have often been handled by professionals, so are well-mannered. If you don't want a cob-type, you could look for a Standard-bred, although as said above, you need to choose by individual temperament not breed.

kassieg

Visit site
I really do not think its about breeds. It's about how they were handled and trained from a young age. I have a new forest pony who is as evil as sin - wants to murder me on a daily basis. I also have a wb x tb who is the most safe, sane bombproof horse I've ever come across.

Totally agreed with this! Its how they are handled broken & produced that matters

Of course there are breeds which carry stigmas as do chestnut mares but mine is an angel!!

Connies are fab, although if anything can be stubborn

I'm not a cob person but a good sporty cob is great! my friends is great happily goes round a be90 :)

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
Welsh D.

No just kidding - don't buy one, they are the least bombproof pony ever. No one warned me about this before I bought one!! They are very loveable though :)

Hope you find something suitable though, on a serious note.

Cobbytype

Visit site
In your position, I don't think you can do better than to go for a ride and drive pony/horse. They are usually calm by nature and have often been handled by professionals, so are well-mannered. If you don't want a cob-type, you could look for a Standard-bred, although as said above, you need to choose by individual temperament not breed.

I too thought a Standardbred would fit the bill and they're reasonably priced because the breed isn't particularly fashionable. I was tempted to go and try one a few days back, but it's early days for me after the loss of my horse-of-a-lifetime last year, so I ducked out for the time being. I can send you the details of the gelding if you want to PM me (and no it's not me selling it, and I don't know the seller from Adam, she's 100 miles away from me, but she seems a genuine sort)

merlin12

Visit site
My Standard bred has manners to die for. Can get a bit hot when in company doing fast work. I am very impressed with the breed.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
There are two things that can be positively evil if they've a mind to:

(1) a stroppy little native pony that's been spoiled to hell and has no manners

(2) a rude bargey cob who's a nappy so-and-so and totally ignorant on the ground, who'll use his strength against you

Look for temperament, not breed would be my advice. If there is one is your area, go to a well-recommended dealer and tell them exactly what you want, and see what they come up with, as well as asking friends/instructor to keep an eye out for you, plus the usual places like pony club & local hunt.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Are you wanting to do M&M classes or just have something safe to ride?

Personally (not that I've biased at all) I love NF's.

The main factor is temperament. What I'd also ask is if the pony isn't ridden for a week or two how does it behave? If as sane as the last time he/she was ridden then that's a good sign.

When I was looking for another pony for my son, I was adamant I wasn't going to have a mare for him as the last one could be difficult. Ended up with a mare though! :D