Sensible people required!

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I'm on the south coast and seen a horse I really like and keep coming back to...in Scotland. He's not massively expensive, but I've seen so many recently that aren't as described...

...and yet I'm still so tempted to just buy him and get him transported down here. Need a head wobble from someone sensible!!

Snitch

Visit site
I'm on the south coast and seen a horse I really like and keep coming back to...in Scotland. He's not massively expensive, but I've seen so many recently that aren't as described...

...and yet I'm still so tempted to just buy him and get him transported down here. Need a head wobble from someone sensible!!
**wobbling your head from Cumbria**
Take atropa up on their potential offer!

FlyingCircus

Visit site
🤣 He's near the boarder, so a fair distance I imagine!

Keep thinking "well, if I get him vetted, it's almost as good as viewing..."

Been horse shopping too long methinks!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
have you seen videos ? have you spoken to the seller? if not i would get those things done and if you really liked him take a trip to scotland, make it into a short break away then if he doesnt seem like the ad you have at least had a couple of days away

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I went to see Skylla (with my box) from Manchester to Essex, came back the next day with a new addition 🤷🏼‍♀️

Though she was only two and I didn’t bother with a vetting, so probably best not to listen to me...

TPO

Visit site
I'm in scotland and have bought horses from Liverpool, Hereford and Wales. The one from Wales was bought unseen. I sold a horse to Melton Mowbray too and they bought him unseen.

I also travelled to Surrey to see a horse and got there to find a lame horse with a disfigured fetlock that seller forgot to mention...

No distance is too far for the right horse but I'd recommend going to see it for yourself if it's going to be your horse (rather than produce to sell etc). Only you will know if you get that click

FlyingCircus

Visit site
have you seen videos ? have you spoken to the seller? if not i would get those things done and if you really liked him take a trip to scotland, make it into a short break away then if he doesnt seem like the ad you have at least had a couple of days away
Not spoken to them, as don't want to waste their time! As not sure where my head is at on the situation.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I'm in scotland and have bought horses from Liverpool, Hereford and Wales. The one from Wales was bought unseen. I sold a horse to Melton Mowbray too and they bought him unseen.

I also travelled to Surrey to see a horse and got there to find a lame horse with a disfigured fetlock that seller forgot to mention...

No distance is too far for the right horse but I'd recommend going to see it for yourself if it's going to be your horse (rather than produce to sell etc). Only you will know if you get that click
Would be producing to sell, so less of an issue on that front. Although would prefer a "nice person"!

The prospect of a 7 hr journey for a horse that might not be as described just makes me nervous!

Reactions: TPO

TPO

Visit site
Would be producing to sell, so less of an issue on that front. Although would prefer a "nice person"!

The prospect of a 7 hr journey for a horse that might not be as described just makes me nervous!

I was over 8hrs to surrey and the seller knew where I was travelling down from. It was an expensive waste of time and money BUT less expensive than if I'd bought unseen...

@Jenni_ is borders I think or at least has connections there as I saw that she does the common riding so might be worth dropping her a PM about the dealer

silv

Visit site
Maybe you can get a cheap flight up there and if the seller is within distance of the airport they can pick you up since your going all that way.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
🤣 He's near the boarder, so a fair distance I imagine!

Keep thinking "well, if I get him vetted, it's almost as good as viewing..."

Been horse shopping too long methinks!

Ehmm........ yes a vetting will tell you what the vet sees ON THE DAY. Horse may fail a vetting the day before or the day after, it may have underlying issues such as ongoing lameness or back problems you know nothing about, it may crib or windsuck or do any number of things, but the vet will be looking at the animal in front of him/her on that particular vetting day, and will report what they find for that occasion only. And if vetting without actually having seen the horse, I'd deffo ask for 5-stage and for bloods to be taken.

Personally, I would say never to buy unseen, unless either (a) you can afford to throw away whatever the asking price is if the horse proves unsuitable, or (b) as well as (a) you are very experienced and confident - and are prepared to deal with a worse-case-scenario such as getting a horse with a long-term behavioural issue such as one which bolts, rears, kicks, or repeatedly throws its rider, or even lower down the line isn't good in traffic, or won't load, or whatever - then look elsewhere!! You may be throwing money away, not to mention getting a heartbreaker horse!

The only exception to that advice might be for e.g. buying a youngster from Sales in Ireland, say.

I've been to see horses which going by the advert, you'd think were even half-decent, and within ten minutes (or less even) or arriving at the yard you realise you've been well and truly had, and have wasted your time.

IF you're still committed to going to Scotland, then, as others have suggested, make a little trip out of it - and also it would be good to have some others up there to see as well so as to make the journey worthwhile. Perhaps there's a dealer's yard in the particular area which people here might like to recommend?? (OR advise you to avoid!)??

Otherwise, my advice would be to stay home!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I started to get desperate enough to wildly consider this, but then I decided to go and view, as a wasted 7 hour trip is not as bad as a wasted 12 moths if it is awful, plus it is not a wasted trip if you actually buy the horse.

I looked at one in Scotland, saw numerous videos, asked loads of questions... was assured it had no sacrcoids, but when we got there and pulled the horse out of the stable there was a big and angry sarcoid that the owner had 'never noticed' before.

Reactions: TPO

be positive

Visit site

If the prospect of taking a 7 hour trip to see one that is not as described is bad what will the result be if you get it home having paid for it, the vetting and the journey then find it was not correctly described, vets can and do miss things that may not be important to them and will know you have not seen it so may be a bit cautious about passing something with a minor issue that you would find acceptable, I know they don't pass or fail but they do influence your decision.

The Trooper

Visit site
I live in the borders and have taken numerous road trips to see horses down in the Manchester area. It's an investment and a commitment. I would be very nervous to buy without viewing regardless.

When i bought Bonnie I actually went to view another, bright bay mare with black mane and tail and 4 white socks. We didn't really click though by Bonnie and I did. If i had ended up with the other I am sure it would have been fine in the end but i don't think she thought alot of this big jock picking her feet up and poking and proding around her

Bernster

Visit site
I’d get as much info as you can with current videos and pics, call with seller, then have a friendly neighbourhoods hho’er go visit 😁