sensitive on back

xequusx

Visit site
my 14.1hh skewbald gelding is quite sensitive on his back eg wen u brush him he flinches his back muscles as if its hurting him but he's fine to be saddled (both ridden n driven) and a rider mounted but maybe its just the brush...!?! i dunno...

Molineux

Visit site
Has he always been like that? if so then he may be a little sensitive to the brush, try using a soft brush on his back?

If he has only started doing it then - I would run your fingers down his back and see if he has a sore point, has he any lumps from where the saddle has been?

Its just a little strange that he is ok with the saddle and when he is being ridden?

I would just keep an eye on it - but try a softer brush.
Mu old horse had very sensitive / thin skin and hated being brushed so I got some soft brushes and he was fine.

xequusx

Visit site
yah i might do that cuz his dandy brush is quite 'spiky' and even though he's a cob x trotter he's thin-skinned and quite sensitive. i'll just use his body brush there instead (we already do this on his legs anyway) thanks

emma_lg

Visit site
Hi..If you think it could be the brush, my mare has sensitive skin so I never use a 'brush' on her...another thing you could try is a hand mitt...I use them all the time now. You can get ones with a corded side which can get dirt off and then a soft fluffy side...