Sensitive to shoe

nicola2019

Visit site
Hello,

Has anybody experienced a footy horse after shoeing? Farrier is brilliant but the horse appears to be super sensitive. I think it could be to do with the hammering of the nail.

Tips please.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Yes. The horse may have nail bind or have been pricked by a nail. Let the Farrier know. The shoe may need to be removed and reset.

It is important that a horse is never less sound after a trim or after shoeing than it was beforehand. If the horse is less sound do not accept this. Something is wrong.

nicola2019

Visit site
Yes. The horse may have nail bind or have been pricked by a nail. Let the Farrier know. The shoe may need to be removed and reset.

It is important that a horse is never less sound after a trim or after shoeing than it was beforehand. If the horse is less sound do not accept this. Something is wrong.

The farrier has already taken the shoe off flattened it out to have less pressure and put it back on. She was ever so slightly better after but not 100%.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Is this after every shoeing?

Yes for a few days. In between shoeing completely sound.

OK I've just seen these.

Does the Farrier know that she is footy after every shoeing? If they know, then I'm horrified.

A 'brilliant' Farrier doesn't keep on doing the same old thing and make the horse sore every time.

Other options include -
New (better) farrier
Take the horse barefoot
Try hoof boots

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Just for informations sake.

I was told that horses should never be worse after a trim/shoeing than they were before by an AWCF Farrier who took on a lot of difficult cases. This was his basic rule and one that he said applied to all farriers and trimmers (remember Strasser anyone?) in his opinion.

I haven't plucked it out of the sky. No-one should accept something that makes their horse sore/lame or sorer/lamer. No horse should suffer (even if it is low level) for a few days because they were shod or trimmed.

nicola2019

Visit site
Just for informations sake.

I was told that horses should never be worse after a trim/shoeing than they were before by an AWCF Farrier who took on a lot of difficult cases. This was his basic rule and one that he said applied to all farriers and trimmers (remember Strasser anyone?) in his opinion.

I haven't plucked it out of the sky. No-one should accept something that makes their horse sore/lame or sorer/lamer. No horse should suffer (even if it is low level) for a few days because they were shod or trimmed.
I have thought about trying her barefoot but she is flat footed and so not sure if that will make her worse? She’s only shod for the fronts and bare foot on the back.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of my horses was very lame after being shod to the point vet thought it was laminitis, we took the shoes off and within 5 days he was almost sound so we xrayed turns out he had very thin sensitive soles, looking back he began to play up when they were nailed on so I think they were causing àn issue before he went very lame, he won't tolerate being shod now so he is barefoot and copes fine.

nicola2019

Visit site
One of my horses was very lame after being shod to the point vet thought it was laminitis, we took the shoes off and within 5 days he was almost sound so we xrayed turns out he had very thin sensitive soles, looking back he began to play up when they were nailed on so I think they were causing àn issue before he went very lame, he won't tolerate being shod now so he is barefoot and copes fine.
Thank you. That is exactly what mine has been like. From a 4 year old never liked the banging, always footy but has got worse in the last few months. She is flat footed so not sure how she would be without shoes, but I cant think of another option.

Nari

Visit site
If it's after every shoeing and your farrier is already being careful and doing a good job then I would suspect an underlying problem in the feet that is temporarily highlighted by trimming or shoeing. I'd want the vet out and x-rays done to try and pinpoint the problem.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thank you. That is exactly what mine has been like. From a 4 year old never liked the banging, always footy but has got worse in the last few months. She is flat footed so not sure how she would be without shoes, but I cant think of another option.

I would get them x rayed if it's just foot sensitivity I would do a proper barefoot rehab with hoof boots, my horse couldn't walk on anything but grass for months without boots, I can now ride him without them but it took 9 months! His fine just a bit sensitive on hard stony ground now.

bluehorse

Visit site
Yes, this used to happen to my horse. It was caused by a combination of shoeing too tight (horse had DFT issues so was being shod with a short toe to improve foot balance) and EMS, so basically he had low grade laminitis. I ended up taking him barefoot, not because I was particularly pro barefoot (at the time, i am now!) but because I couldn’t keep putting him through that every 5 weeks. He was in pain every time he was shod, the last time he was shod I had to keep him in for a week, he was so uncomfortable on his feet. That is wrong, and I decided I couldn’t do it to him anymore. With what you describe I‘d suspect metabolic issues. Review your shoeing but get him off the grass and see if that helps.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If you take the shoes off she will most probably need hoof boots for riding.
I would however suspect a problem like low level laminitis and would get the vet to test for metabolic issues.

asmp

Visit site
My horse was recently shown to have large calcified side bones, which explained why he didn't like the banging of the nails going in. He won't be shod next time as I'm going to try boots.

He had been footy for ages but no one suggested calcified side bones and I'd never heard of them

ihatework

Visit site
I had an event horse that was always footy for a couple of days after shoeing (this is going back many years now) and I don’t believe it was the farriers fault, over the years I used 3 different farriers, all highly thought of. Ultimately we managed by timing shoeing to allow a withdrawal period, I’d give a bute am & pm and the farrier would only sear the shoes very lightly and do the bulk of the job cold. He was the type that needed pads through the summer.

Fastforward and at 15 the horse was diagnosed with Cushings with sky high readings. He had a spell around 11 when I thought he was laminitic, but the vet dismissed it. So actually I think he had early onset Cushings and his shoeing issues were linked to grumbling sore feet.

millitiger

Visit site
I had one who was sensitive to nailing on and could be footy, the farrier used a type of cork hammer instead of the usual one which worked brilliantly.

paddy555

Visit site
Yes, this used to happen to my horse. It was caused by a combination of shoeing too tight (horse had DFT issues so was being shod with a short toe to improve foot balance) and EMS, so basically he had low grade laminitis. I ended up taking him barefoot, not because I was particularly pro barefoot (at the time, i am now!) but because I couldn’t keep putting him through that every 5 weeks. He was in pain every time he was shod, the last time he was shod I had to keep him in for a week, he was so uncomfortable on his feet. That is wrong, and I decided I couldn’t do it to him anymore. With what you describe I‘d suspect metabolic issues. Review your shoeing but get him off the grass and see if that helps.

this. I had a sec D come with shoes on. I had him reshod a few times before taking him barefoot. I had no doubts about the efficiency of the farrier it was the horse and looking back now I can clearly see it was most likely a LGL problem.

He was fine without shoes and never had a problem after being just trimmed.

Some barefoot horses become footsore after trimming. Some are obviously over trimmed but the ones who are not then I would be suspecting a problem most likely LGL. Those of us with barefoot horses look to the front feet as a guide for potential laminitis. You can see very quickly if an unshod horse becomes slightly sore in front and you know you probably have grass problems.

IrishMilo

Visit site
If I had a horse who was sore after every shoeing then I would not be doing it every month.

Horses with flat feet can absolutely go barefoot, and it's often because they've been wearing shoes and have been trimmed with a shoe in mind that they have flat feet. Can you upload some photos so we have a better idea of what state they're in?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If I had a horse who was sore after every shoeing then I would not be doing it every month.

Horses with flat feet can absolutely go barefoot, and it's often because they've been wearing shoes and have been trimmed with a shoe in mind that they have flat feet. Can you upload some photos so we have a better idea of what state they're in?

This is what it was like with my horse he has very flat feet with almost no concavity of the sole, it took me 9 months of exercise with boots but now I ride without, he is a bit ouchy on stony hard tracks but his fine on every other surface, if it's really stony I just get off and lead him so it really can be done.