Separation anxiety HELP

Lucy-S

Visit site
Hi all, currently trying to manage my horse’s anxiety when it’s coming in time. I am on a DIY yard (no option of moving) and so people bring their horses in whenever they like. For some reason recently people have decided to start bringing in between lunch and 3pm. I have teamed up with another livery as she turns out for me and means my horse isn’t left on her own and I bring them in at 4pm. They have both been together for a year due to both having ligament injuries. My horse is still living in a pen (decent sized) she has grass, hay and a full treatball to keep her entertained. As soon as more than 1 horse comes in she starts kicking off and now 2 days on the trot she’s come in, in white sweat and destroyed her pen. She’s never left on her own and if I turn her out with one horse next to her it’s not an issue but as soon as they start coming in it’s came over and due to her suspensory injuries and her weakness I cannot allow this to keep happening. Unfortunately the horse she’s lived with is attached to her so means someone can’t just bring her down with them if she is getting upset. The horse needs to go out but I am stuck between a rock and a hard place because my work doesn’t allow to pop down and bring her in at lunch. Before all of this she wasn’t like this and as long as she had 1 friend next to her it wasn’t issue. This seems to have occurred since her being confined and micro managed. I can’t blame the horse but unfortunately this is how it is till she is back in full work and stronger and the vet signs her off.

- she’s fed low starch low sugar diet
- fed magnesium
- fed a calming mix with valarium and Valeria in it. (Also tried the Lincoln cordial)
- had mild ulcers last winter which was triggered from her steroid injections into her back and although some of this stress behaviour in the field is similar her behaviour on the ground and around tacking up is completely different so don’t think it’s ulcers.
- she’s happy in the stables on her own
- happy to hack go to the arena on her own
- isn’t specifically attached to any horse
- never been left on her own and I think in her past life has always been in a heard
- she’s turned out later in the morning so she isn’t out as long
- sometimes she isn’t bothered if a few horses leave other days 1 goes and it’s game over

I have been thinking about speaking to a behaviourist? Would this work?
Shes on rehab work for her suspensorys and other related issues so this is a slow process, she’s a hot TB/WB mare and I do feel like it’s the reduced work load. Everyday I do something with her even if it’s a hand walk up the lane and back so her brain is stimulated Atleast on her day off.

Anything other suggestions? Phoned the vet and waiting for a call back. I can’t afford to sedate her everyday and it’s not lasting long enough it needs to be a daily thing for the next month or 2. Anyone had good results with potassium bromide?

9tails

Visit site
Can you make the pen big enough for her companion too? She may think that she's alone because her companion is grazing a couple of yards too far away.

Lucy-S

Visit site
Can you make the pen big enough for her companion too? She may think that she's alone because her companion is grazing a couple of yards too far away.
Both friends are literally right next to her as we have turnout rather than grazing. But I suppose I could try having the friend in her field whilst she’s in the pen. I will just run out of grass and that’s a whole other thing. Not easy at all!

Lucy-S

Visit site
I had this, eventually it stopped. Its tough watching them stress themselves out but once he realised that I am coming soon after to get him , he was fine
This sort of happened yesterday as I phoned the owner of the other horse I have teamed up with they were the only two out and she quickly went up as she was able to but it was still 20 mins or so. It’s just so so hard when I’ve invested a lot of money getting her better and watching her potentially undo it all and re-injure herself devastates me :(. I also am aware that bringing her in all the time or pandering to the behaviour isn’t helping but it’s soo hard! On Sunday I waited at the gate until she settled enough before I went in and fetched her but when you aren’t following a routine of others I can’t be there to be consistent with it if that makes sense.

Barton Bounty

Just simply loving life with Orbi 🥰
Visit site
This sort of happened yesterday as I phoned the owner of the other horse I have teamed up with they were the only two out and she quickly went up as she was able to but it was still 20 mins or so. It’s just so so hard when I’ve invested a lot of money getting her better and watching her potentially undo it all and re-injure herself devastates me :(. I also am aware that bringing her in all the time or pandering to the behaviour isn’t helping but it’s soo hard! On Sunday I waited at the gate until she settled enough before I went in and fetched her but when you aren’t following a routine of others I can’t be there to be consistent with it if that makes sense.
Yeah i had the same thing. Hopefully she will settle and not injure herself, id maybe try and put a little bucket with nuts or something into her and walk away and see if that works