Separation Anxiety?

RolyPolyPony

Visit site
I've had my mare now for around 18 months, 9 months ago, due to arthritis, I've had to retire her. I took on another horse in August. My mare, whilst she hates being in the field alone (which never happens now) she is never fussed about being in on her own. My 'new' boy, however, hates her being taken out of the stable if he is still in. Just taking her out of stable to have her feet done (in full view of him!) he will really stress, call out constantly and start weaving. He always hacks out fine and tends to forget about her, if she doesn't call for him.

This morning I decided to go for a little ride, he was really chilled until my mare started calling. He held it together pretty well but then just crumbled. He span and tried all he could to get back to her. Whilst he doesn't do anything dangerous, it's frustrating as he just gets to the stage he can concentrate on me.

Is this just going to be a case of taking one of them away from the other for a few minutes and gradually increasing the time they are apart? Or is there something else I can do to help my gelding cope with not having my mare in sight?

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense!!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I think you hit the nail on the head with the gradual increase of time apart. My mare got the same as she got older, however with her it was a lot easier as she was retired , I just bought her a baby to love. I take it your mare had food to take her mind off your gelding while you were out? It seems the lad was fine until she called him home.

Deseado

Visit site
Horses which are herd-bound are a major PITA, so it is up to the owner to train them not to be. The first thing you need to do is learn to just plain ignore all the histrionics. If you have a top door on the stable, close it. If the horse starts to spin or weave, tie him up. Basically he's just plain going to have to man up.

RolyPolyPony

Visit site
I think you hit the nail on the head with the gradual increase of time apart. My mare got the same as she got older, however with her it was a lot easier as she was retired , I just bought her a baby to love. I take it your mare had food to take her mind off your gelding while you were out? It seems the lad was fine until she called him home.

She had her haylage (which is what she's always left with) but looking back I should have perhaps given her her breakfast. They were both fine about him going out before winter but he had winter off so I'm guessing it's just getting them both into the routine again. I rode him out a couple of days ago before they went out in the afternoon and it was all fine, so maybe because I brought them in and took him straight out, it was all out of routine for them.

Deseado - I always ignore unwanted behaviour as I don't believe in reinforcing negative behaviour. Have no top stable doors as we have American barn style stabling.