Separation anxiety?

Laika

Visit site
Hi everyone, I just wondered if somebody with a little bit more knowledge can help with an issue that has arisen.

Last year, my horse had some separation anxiety, which was something we worked upon so it wouldn't become an issue if he needed to be separated from the other horses (if he needed to be taken to the vets etc) and it worked tremendously and this year we've had no problems with this. When the horses originally went out into the fields, they were separated into two groups, the older horses went out during the day and then the younger ones (inc mine) went out over night - this was the yard owners decision not mine but this generally worked better with my routine. As the weather has gotten hotter, all of the horses are now out together in the field, which of course is absolutely fine by me. This hasn't been a problem since this morning. All the horses were huddled together in the corner and usually when I come into the field, my horse usually comes over to me - he didn't. So I jolly on over to him put his head collar on and start walking him out of the field. We get close to the gate and he gallops off and stands in the huddle with all his field mates. This happens for a second time so at this point I get his bridle and a lunge line as I suspected he'd try to run off again, he had no objections to me putting the bridle on at all. At this point, I manage to get him out the field but he runs into me and rears up. The whole time, I stay calm and try my best not to react as I don't want to stress him out any more than he already is. When I came back to the field to top water off, all the other horse's had left their little huddle? Does this mean he is the dominant one in their eyes?

Background info:
- He has no objections to a head collar/bridle going on at any point, even throughout this showed no signs of rejection to the head collar or bridle
- Absolutely fine to handle on a day-day basis, he has been difficult in the past but he's been a doddle for quite a while now
- he's sound and fit as a fiddle!

Have you any tips on how to tackle this? Last time, we tackled this for him, we leave him in for graduated periods of time until he calmed down and it worked a treat. Is this something I should do again? OR he is just trying his luck?

Laika

Visit site
Thanks for replying Twiggy!

Not all the time, this is why I'm confused. He was absolutely fine yesterday, a little doddle and then this morning it was a different story. His field mates were still out in the field when I brought him in. I've recently had my hours changed at work so I think this changing routine isn't helping either.