Separation dilemma!

Radar Lugs

Visit site
I have 2 horses, 1 I've had for 14 years, the other 6. They have been together since I bought the 2nd one.
The older 1 has always been a big stressy horse and gets easily attached. Gradually as he got older I have done less work with him and he is now fully retired (24 years old ).
Problem is he is getting more and more stressed when I take the other away to work him. Can't leave him in his stable anymore as he gets really worked up to the point where some days he can be white with lather by the time I get back. Other days he will stomp round his stable and call but not get into such a state. Even starts to get upset when I open the other ones door incase I'm taking him away. Easier solution, which I have used all summer, is he will go out into a field alone. He still calls but as long as he can see other horses he doesn't go into panic mode. However with winter fast approaching this means I can only ride during daylight hours and won't be able to go to training nights etc, and as I compete this really isn't practical.
It's been suggested that I separate them and put the retired 1 to a different yard. It's a yard he liveried at for a few years and it's a quiet yard that he was relatively settled at. That way I can compete the younger 1 with no stress over what the other is doing, are the other horses still out, etc etc.
Have any of you separated bonded horses? If so did it work? I will still be going to both horses daily so will need to juggle yards but I still feel like I'm abandoning the old boy. However the way he's currently going he will drop with a heart attack one day and I certainly don't want that.

Shay

Visit site
I'm not sure you have any "good" choice OP. I am sorry. Over the years they have clearly become very bonded. You really can only choose to separate them permanently or to keep them together, giving up competing etc with the second one. It doesn't sound like there are the options for a half way house where you are.

You obviously want to do the best you can by both - and quite right too. Although moving to be with others more permanently will upset your old boy in the short term he is likely to be happier in the long run as he won't be left to work himself into such a state.

Just thought of a third option - not sure how practical it is for you? Could you adopt a companion for him?

zaminda

Visit site
I wouldn't have horses in separate places as it is a nightmare if you do both of them every day. You say over the summer he was bad in the stable, but was there anything else in for company? If there wasn't, will there be company when he is in if you go training or ride in the school in the evening? Also do they go out with other horses, and would this be possible if they don't currently?

GirlFriday

Visit site
Permanent separation seems a little harsh. These are herd animals, you need a bigger herd so that your oldie isn't entirely reliant on the 6 yr old to not be alone.

As suggested above: other horses they can be both turned out and stabled with are key.

Ceriann

Visit site
I have two that are bonded and when I took them both to livery (for one to be backed) they were separated completely. I thought it had worked, mare being backed (the one with the most anxiety) seemed better and when I brought them home,whilst I kept them together they would separate for work (I don't take off site though). But my backed mare ended up with ulcers which has set us back massively! Have you tried a mirror in the stable? I stable the companion when other worked and give her something tasty - a lick or haylage or alfalfa block. It helps. If you can get a little companion though that does usually sort it - when I had 3, whilst the two left would call they would settle easily.

Radar Lugs

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. When in the stable my old guy was never once left on his own. Even to the point that I would pop his other field companion into the stable next door but usually this didn't make any difference.
In the field it did help and that's how I got away with things over the summer.
Main problem now with winter approaching is I will need to ride after dark, and that's when everyone is in for the night. If he would only settle surrounded by other horses it would be manageable.

Tapir

Visit site
I have two on a private yard. The one who is left behind has a stable mirror which has made a huge difference. She is also left with two treat balls and has the top stable door closed as she is inclined to jump out. She now calls when we get back but isn't really that bothered anymore.

Radar Lugs

Visit site
Putting the older horse to the yard I'm thinking of is essentially retirement livery. It's a quiet yard with not much movement. He would be going out all day with others and in his stable at night.

GirlFriday

Visit site
You'd be doing the same thing at the other yard then. You just might not see it so much

Stupid question... But stable layout... Can adjoining horses touch? Would it be possible to swap stables? Not sure if your two can touch/are opposite so have good view of each other? Might be worth switching with field companion so you're not separating, just putting someone else in the prime location?

Also, you mention how long your two have known each other... What about the rest of the field?