Separation

Migavie

Visit site
Hi,I've always kept my ponies on yards with plenty of company.I'm now lucky enough to have the two of them at home. I can ride the younger one out without my older boy getting stressed(as long as he has grub!) but when I ride the older one away the younger gets desperately stressed. I don't want him galloping about in the soggy field and I'm concerned he may damage the stable if left in .
It's understandable as he has always been in a herd setup.
Any ideas that would help?

Tapir

Visit site
I have two at home and can take either away to be ridden. The one that is left behind has a stable mirror (this made a big difference to one), one or two treat balls and a grill over the top door just in case they decide to jump out. I'm happy to leave them like this as I know that barring something really random, they can't hurt themselves even if they do get upset. I started by separating them for fairly short periods and building up. Now all I get is a call from the left behind one when we return.

Merlod

Visit site
As above, probably safer in the stable with some food distractions! Perhaps you could practice popping the younger one in the stable and taking the older horse out of sight to feed etc in the evening. Get him into the routine of going into the stable and being alone and gradually increase the time. Perhaps put an anti-weave up so he can still look out but not jump out. Mirror and radio may help too.

alibali

Visit site
I found this problem reduced significantly when one of mine had to spend 12 hours a day on a starvation paddock so they were separated in adjacent fields but could see each other half the time and turned out together over night. It seemed to weaken the pair bond and meant both mine can now be left out in the field whilst the other is taken away. I also try to make sure they are separated at least a couple of times a week to keep them in the habit.

It was an unexpected benefit from the hassle of having to restrict the fat little ponies food intake!