seriously is this how the world is now !!!

stacie21

Visit site
I am so fed up and saddened by the amount of free to good home or being shot ads put out there to guilt trip warm hearted kind people who feel they need to help its beyond a joke. it is either people wanting rid of a older horse that dont fit the bill anymore or is starting to have issues so try to pass them on to someone else so they can get in a younger model what happens when that poor bugger gets old or has a problem yep you guessed it out comes the add again by gilt tripping another person. All my animals including my horse are part of the family and as when i am ill or have aches and pains i go to docs or back person my animals get the same treatment and have a home for life no matter what. i no people are finding keeping animals hard in these climate me included everything has gone up but that old saying about a dog is not just for Christmas counts for horses to. i have also seen a number of adds with 20 plus year old horses for sale for a couple hundred quid in add a real family friend well blow me im glad i not there family friend poor poor animals

mulledwhine

Visit site
I agree, I am lucky that I do not pay for hay or livery , but I even dOg walk, and sell cards and jamie at home just to keep my ' friends'

There is always away to look after them!!!

And the fact I do what I do means that I can plan my day around them x

Shantara

Visit site
I couldn't have a horse shot just because I couldn't ride it.
My dog has cost us thousands over the years (Over £1000 in just one year!) but we'd only put her to sleep if it was the very very last option.

luckyoldme

Visit site
i m keeping my horse till he dies,,, but it must be a real dilema for the real keen riders who can only afford one horse as that horse gets older and unable to work. i think i would have greater respect for someone who put a horse down than i would for a person who sold an old horse on to an uncertain future. as a percentage of the horse population i reckon not very many see out a comfortable retirement.

sami4971

Visit site
In my opinion, there are far worser things in life than getting a healthy horse put to sleep. I would much rather my horse have been happy and well cared for until the end than passed on to an uncertain future, to perhaps be neglected or passed around sale ring to sale ring. I am not naive, many of our horses have come from a sale ring skin and bone passed from dealer to dealer before ending up with us. These are not the typical binend horses I am talking about, a Hanoverian with fantastic lines, a masters horse, an eventer sold in good faith privately then tossed to the sale with newly developed fears only a few weeks later. You sell, you can never guarantee a horses future no matter what standard it is; you put to sleep, and no harm will ever come to that horse again. I may come under fire for this post but frankly, I don't care. I am proud of the fact that all my horses will be safe in my care as long as I can keep them, hopefully until they die, but if anything dramatic changed they would be loaned out or put to sleep. They will never enter the dealers circuit again.

nicolenlolly

Visit site
you can only worry when a horse is free to a good home...surely if times are that desperate and the horse is any good then a loan or a low price would be preferable. One of the riding schools I went to when I was younger took on a few free horses to up their numbers as they were getting busier, one of them was fab and only in her teens, the other two were nightmare cases and lobbed people off more frequently than they behaved.

I will do all that I can to keep my boys forever and as they are only 5, 3 and 3, they are with me for a looooooong time but I look forward to our adventures together and they have taught me so much, I owe them more than one. I love my boys like they are my family, ok I wouldnt put my daughter or my parents in a field in the snow but they are ok with that! :)

I feel so lucky and appreciate every day that I have my boys, I couldnt imagine abandoning them in their older years or when their health started failing, I too would prefer to PTS and know that they wont make the trip to Belgium or end up in the hands of someone who might not treat them with the love and cuddles I do.

Gosh sorry to ramble, got so upset at the thought of it!!! :)

ps, I think that Jamie refers to Jamie Oliver's products that you have sales at home for similar to anne summers parties etc

Last edited:

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Let's hope some of you never get into a situation then, that dictates what you do next in life.

Of course no-one wants to have to get rid of their beloved animals, but in the real world, it doesn't always go to plan you know.

In this current climate, it is a buyers market at the moment, there are MANY good horses on the market, so buyers can have their pick.

Don't be too hard on people who have no other choice.

bugbee717

Visit site
I have 10 horses/ponies on a livery yard, I have 3 kids. I don't live of the state. My horses have homes for life, why because when I handed the money over they became my family. I would not sell my kids, so why the horses

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I have 10 horses/ponies on a livery yard, I have 3 kids. I don't live of the state. My horses have homes for life, why because when I handed the money over they became my family. I would not sell my kids, so why the horses

Do you have a crystal ball to see what the future will bring? Can you guarantee that your life circumstances will not change AT ALL?

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I would rather see an older horse or one with problems put down rather than send it from pillar to post.

Over the last four years I have had four horse put down
One was an old hunter who was lame on all four, a 10 year old mare that had navicular. Another old mare who had a bad bout of colic, and most annoyingly, a lovely 3 yr old TB that severed his superficial tendon.
I have another mare that will go to the kennels before Christmas. She is finding life harder and is not very sound.

I think there is nothing wrong with having them euthanised by the hunt. I will be with them and they will know nothing about it. Rather that than not knowing what happens to them.

luckyoldme

Visit site
I would rather see an older horse or one with problems put down rather than send it from pillar to post.

Over the last four years I have had four horse put down
One was an old hunter who was lame on all four, a 10 year old mare that had navicular. Another old mare who had a bad bout of colic, and most annoyingly, a lovely 3 yr old TB that severed his superficial tendon.
I have another mare that will go to the kennels before Christmas. She is finding life harder and is not very sound.

I think there is nothing wrong with having them euthanised by the hunt. I will be with them and they will know nothing about it. Rather that than not knowing what happens to them.

fair enough really

FionaM12

Visit site
Do you have a crystal ball to see what the future will bring? Can you guarantee that your life circumstances will not change AT ALL?

Well said DS! When people say "I'll never part with my horse" or "I'll never claim benefits" they presumably mean they're confident they will always be well off.

Lucky them.

For the rest of us, the best we can do is say "I'll always do the best by my horse". That may mean pts, or giving away. We'd do the best we could at the time, if the worst happened.

Many years ago I was desperately ill, including a life-threatening allergy to horses. I couldn't look after my beloved old horse Bamber any more and, being so ill, couldn't work so had to live on benefit. I was facing the heart-break of putting him to sleep, when an old friend came forward and offered him a free home. She kept in touch, and cared for him until he died.

I don't think people should be so quick to judge.

charlie76

Visit site
I agree about not being so quick to judge. People sell horses all the time When They can no longer care for them or find they are not suitable
Its how the equine world goes round.
As long as there is enough research done into a new home What does it matter whether the horse was sold for £1 or £10k? Just because someone can afford thousands on a horse doesn't mean they will look after it any better than some one who takes on a freebie
We are often given horses for the school, usually because financial constraints have meant that they Can no longer keep the horse or they have a quirk that they cannot manage, they Have a lovely home with us with the best of everything.
I also agree that there are worse things than being put to sleep. Many horses that are in full work do not cope with simply 'living out their days' in a field.

nicolenlolly

Visit site
To be fair dragon slayer, my circumstances have changed, I was made redundant last month and for now i have no income but my husband us looking after the bills for the house and the bit I put by whilst I was working is covering my bills. I am not claiming benefits, I have started my own company do hopefully will have an income again soon. At least by working for myself i can go and check the boys when I want but if money runs out, I will do whatever it takes to have an income. I appreciate sometimes people's circumstances are different but I would rather sell most of my belongings than my boys!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
To be fair dragon slayer, my circumstances have changed, I was made redundant last month and for now i have no income but my husband us looking after the bills for the house and the bit I put by whilst I was working is covering my bills. I am not claiming benefits, I have started my own company do hopefully will have an income again soon. At least by working for myself i can go and check the boys when I want but if money runs out, I will do whatever it takes to have an income. I appreciate sometimes people's circumstances are different but I would rather sell most of my belongings than my boys!

Of course you will do what you can, and you are lucky that the bills are covered. BUT it's not like that for everyone, is it? If the main wage-earner is made redundant, or whatever else there is that can happen, are people really going to put their livery bills over their mortgage? I know I wouldn't....

Accusing people of being hard-hearted, not caring, not taking responsibility etc etc is not fair. I would say they ARE taking responibility, by ensuring their beloved horses will at least get the care and attention from someone else who CAN afford it at that time.

Cuffey

Visit site
Quite upset to see someone I know selling her 23yo TB who has ''been there done it got the T shirt'', she has had amazing fun with him, must have a wall of rosettes.
Sure it is down to circumstances but..........

Having just pts one of mine I have had for 16years, perhaps I am oversensitive!

charlie76

Visit site
I also think the title is not necessarily true' the way the world is now's. To be honest horses Have never had It so easy. They are no longer seen as simply a work animal as They used to be. In past times there was not the vet science and treatment available today so horses That no longer do a job were put down or worse still, put on bute and carried on working until the bute no longer had effect or broke down. Retirement homes were few and far between and those That were allowed To live out their days probably Did so in pain.
These days the majority of people have more disposable income and improved Vet care so They do try and do their best by them but the simple fact is, sometimes circumstances mean a line has To be drawn.

soulfull

Visit site

you are lucky BUT what happens if your OH is made redundant and doesn't find decent work for 2 years or more, or simply decides he is leaving you? you would be surprised how many men up and leave not giving a penny to their families. Yes you eventually get money out of them legally but that can take 1 or 2 years what do you do inbetween.. could you just go out and earn enough money to pay mortgage, feed for kids and horses? if so you are VERY VERY lucky

I also think the title is not necessarily true' the way the world is now's. To be honest horses Have never had It so easy. They are no longer seen as simply a work animal as They used to be. In past times there was not the vet science and treatment available today so horses That no longer do a job were put down or worse still, put on bute and carried on working until the bute no longer had effect or broke down. Retirement homes were few and far between and those That were allowed To live out their days probably Did so in pain.
These days the majority of people have more disposable income and improved Vet care so They do try and do their best by them but the simple fact is, sometimes circumstances mean a line has To be drawn.

Echo this, years ago the horses weren't kept as pets no one batted an eyelid if fred farmer had his hunter pts and got another one cos it could no longer hunt!! He may not of even had more than the local cow vet look at him, never mind all the £thousands we spend nowadays before making the decision

nicolenlolly

Visit site
wow what a pleasant thought for Tuesday morning, what if my husband leaves me?! I think I will bow out of this conversation now, I was merely saying that if a horse is old, I agree that it is not fair to pass them from pillar to post or risk them going to belgium on a long trip. I am not daft, if horses were never sold then I wouldnt have my boys but I hope to have mine forever now they are part of the family.

soulfull

Visit site
wow what a pleasant thought for Tuesday morning, what if my husband leaves me?! I think I will bow out of this conversation now, I was merely saying that if a horse is old, I agree that it is not fair to pass them from pillar to post or risk them going to belgium on a long trip. I am not daft, if horses were never sold then I wouldnt have my boys but I hope to have mine forever now they are part of the family.

:D Hope I didn't offend you too much I was just curious :p

nicolenlolly

Visit site
you did to start with (I'm 15 weeks pregnant so my hormones are all over the place) but no harm done, if the hubby leaves me, I will take him to the cleaners :D then my boys could go to luxury yard lol.

FionaM12

Visit site
Of course you will do what you can, and you are lucky that the bills are covered. BUT it's not like that for everyone, is it? If the main wage-earner is made redundant, or whatever else there is that can happen, are people really going to put their livery bills over their mortgage? I know I wouldn't....

Accusing people of being hard-hearted, not caring, not taking responsibility etc etc is not fair. I would say they ARE taking responibility, by ensuring their beloved horses will at least get the care and attention from someone else who CAN afford it at that time.

Yes, nail on the head again! I don't have a husband to pay the bills if I lost my job or became ill again. I'd have to go on benefit, or starve. I have no savings. Grim thought, I hasten to add there's no likelihood of losing my job at present! But it happens to some poor souls.

I keep Mollie on a shoe-string budget. A dear friend offered to help with the expense, and I said I'd rather cope alone, but we made a deal that if things changed and I couldn't, I'd let him know. So I'm very lucky.

Some people aren't.

FionaM12

Visit site
If anyone thinks horses in this country have a raw deal nowadays, try reading about what happened to Britain's horses in the early 1900s, especially between 1914 - 1918.

lula

Visit site

100% agree with charlie on the title of this thread. Horses are a lot better off today than at many times in the past.
Ok its an extreme example but im sure horses that were drafted up for WW1 & WW2 and killed horribly would have MUCH rather lived in 'how the world is now'
Horses really have never had it better for the most part than the way things used to be as work animals through the ages.

Probably im being pedantic though as thats probably not quite what the OP meant, sorry ;)

stacie21

Visit site
just to be perfectly clear i am not on about people selling horses as they dont get along or cant keep them any longer that i totally agree with that a horse that is not right for you can be perfect for someone else. what i am on about are sick or lame horses or older ones that are starting to have problems and are unable to sell as of these problems so give them away to some kind person who then takes on all the expense and ultimately the responsibility to pts so they can get another one to break then give that one away. man up and if they are that bad then pts dont pass from pillar to post. as for my circumstances i am not well of by any means and dont have a crystal ball but my horse and dogs would not go anywhere by hook or by crook people struggle along with kids dont they :)