Sesamoid Issue

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Seen a horse advertised as having had the "smallest nick" from its sesamoid bone that has been investigated and now cleared by vets.

What is the general prognosis of this? What is usually the cause? Said horse is only 4 and seems to have done a reasonable amount of showing, dressage, sj and XC. Is it strain related?

Something I don't know a lot about and curious to know more.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Picture is 2 years post 75% basal fracture of one of his hinds...so this might not help you much if you were looking for a reason not to buy!35425348_10156153432532254_5490288571724070912_o.jpg

He did his inside 20 mins in the field - probably being an idiot. Vet says if tendon's stronger than bone the bone goes, if bone is stronger than tendon, tendon goes.

Mine was cleaned up and the chip removed in surgery (due to size and the fact treatment was the same - lots of box rest - but that if the chip didnt reattach it was surgery anyway!)

If they do go hinds are better than fronts, top of the sesamoid is a lot better than bottom. My horse was lucky. He only got given a 60% chance of any work at all when he did it. He is (and has been since) 100% sound on it, doing everything and would pass a vetting!

You do need to be sure the 'chip' isnt floating. Down that route is problems in the future, but if you like him might be worth asking your vet to look at the xrays!