Session 16.....

_GG_

Visit site
Okay then. Please get his back end checked out again (think it was armas that had it done a while ago? Never really come into this part of the forum very often so cant remember if it is you or someone else?) It does not work correctly and he is not happy to use it. Especially when he works higher up in his neck and behind the vertical.

Yep...James has it in hand and is waiting for someone to come out.

I think he would be happy to use it the work he was being asked was different, but I'm not the one training him so I can't change that.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
Do you lunge him in a pessoa?

I'd personally be tempted to sack off all 'ridden schooling' for a while. Lunge in pessoa 2 - 3 times a week to build more topline and the other days hack him out. Let him chill and 'grow out' of this whole being up tight and upset. Obviously if there is nothing wrong with him physically. Dont ask for any roundness etc. The first minute of that video I saw a lovely loose swinging horse - he needs to be hacked out like this. Obviously havent read all posts and looked at many vids so all that may of already been said. But if you're not selling/competing him any time soon, have some fun and let him chill his mind.

_GG_

Visit site
That ^^^
So would taking the noseband off help? So he doesn't associate?

I did see an improvement when the flash was taken off. To be honest, this is one of the reasons I like it when people who clearly have a great deal of knowledge put forward suggestions objectively rather than just comment negatively...it is because James has been taking things on board and making changes. A fair few of us that have kept in touch with these threads advised removing the flash and after some consideration (correct to not just take our word for it) by James, the flash came off.

If you purely criticise, you are removing your ability to help the horse.

If you offer objective, constructive advice, you have a chance at actually helping the horse :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Considering I did an awfully long literature review on it I do think I have some idea. This horse has been ridden in rollkur as some point during his life.

Many things may cause a horse to go like this poor use of the Rollkur system is just one of them .
The noseband idea mentioned above is a good one.
Being worked on no contact in a curb when young would do it to.
My ex driving horse will go like that for ever if you let him he was never sat on until he was ten .
I doult anyone who dealt with him knew what Rollkur is .

Goldenstar

Visit site
Do you lunge him in a pessoa?

I'd personally be tempted to sack off all 'ridden schooling' for a while. Lunge in pessoa 2 - 3 times a week to build more topline and the other days hack him out. Let him chill and 'grow out' of this whole being up tight and upset. Obviously if there is nothing wrong with him physically. Dont ask for any roundness etc. The first minute of that video I saw a lovely loose swinging horse - he needs to be hacked out like this. Obviously havent read all posts and looked at many vids so all that may of already been said. But if you're not selling/competing him any time soon, have some fun and let him chill his mind.

Long lines help him , I would not like to see him trussed up in a Pessoa He have that sussed and evaded in a nano second .

Last edited:

_GG_

Visit site
Long lines help him , I would not like to she him trussed up in a Pessoa He have that sussed and evaded in a nano second .

Agree....I also don't like using them where there are SI issues. Working my mare through her SI issues, a pessoa was one of the worst things for her. A simple lunge cavesson, line and nothing else worked best for her...allowed to put herself where she wanted to be and just built up strength until I could ride the exercises to help and improve.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
I think it would depend on the setting of the pessoa. It depends on each horse, mine has improved his back end with great help from a pessoa. Anyway, hho is taking over my life!

Amaranta

Visit site
Considering I did an awfully long literature review on it I do think I have some idea. This horse has been ridden in rollkur as some point during his life.

The horse is not in rolkur, I doubt he has been ridden in a serretta either.

Because of the way PRE's are built, it is terribly easy for them to go BTV, they have, if you like, been bred to go BTV as a default, I have one that does this at the drop of a hat, it is most certainly NOT rolkur.

Armas, I am loving the long and low walk work and have now watched more of the video, personally, I would like to see him working long and low in all paces (including the canter), this way you will strengthen him over the back before asking him to come back up. Depending on the horse, this can take a long time.

I am not going to criticise the rider, she is obviously very competent and is doing her best to understand the horse, I feel it is more a case of her being more used to warmbloods, so she is also learning something. I would like to see her come off the track a little more though, show more lateral work and use it to slow him down, shoulder in is your best friend with a rushing horse and has the added benefit of aiding straightness. I would NOT use draw reins to straighten him.

Amaranta

Visit site
I think it would depend on the setting of the pessoa. It depends on each horse, mine has improved his back end with great help from a pessoa. Anyway, hho is taking over my life!

I agree with you, I have used the pessoa on the low setting for a mare with SI issues and it worked very well.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I thought on a previous thread James said that he had been passed fit for work by the vet c. 6 months ago when the SI issue was first treated, not recently.

and I think plenty of us know how such issues can grumble on/need re-injecting.

_GG_

Visit site
I thought on a previous thread James said that he had been passed fit for work by the vet c. 6 months ago when the SI issue was first treated, not recently.

and I think plenty of us know how such issues can grumble on/need re-injecting.

Oh I agree...got one with SI issues myself....but James has it hand and I'm sure it won't be long before we get news on that. :smile3:

Armas

Visit site
I tried to book to Chiropractors today both pregnant and not working ! However we have found one.