Setting up electric fencing - tips?

SunshineTallulah

Visit site
Currently have horse living out 24/7 in a huge paddock which has stock fencing (YUK!) and at one end of the field are two horses (in seperate paddocks) and he is out on his own.

There is fake electric fencing up inside the stock fencing near to the two horses that he can see. Obviously he is wise to the fact it's not on and is having a whale of a time trashing it to reach his fenced off buddies and it seems I am going to have to invest in something to put a stop to this before he damages himself.

Property owner told me when I looked around before moving there that there was electric fencing, turns out only a few of the paddocks actually have it switched on! Arghhhh...

I have no idea how to go about setting up electric fencing. Any tips on what batteries to get and tape? I'm on a budget and it has to stand alone as am sure property owner won't let me run anything off of his mains. In fact, I've been told by other liveries that it's a DIY job and to not even ask.

Field is quite open and blowy so any tips on tape or kinds of poles that are best?

Everyday I go to stables to feed etc he has snapped the tape and broken another post.

TIA!!

just-me

Visit site
I have found this to be the best tape and have the 20mm as 40mm would catch the wind. http://www.electricfencingsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/electric_fencing_maxitape_polytape.html

We have a fenceman cp250 energiser with a lorry battery which last ages!! before needing to be charged.

If you just want to keep them off the existing fence you could use these screw in insulators http://www.ukcountrystore.co.uk/acatalog/Tape_Distance_Insulators.html

I divide my fields up so have these posts http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-X-GREEN-5FT-POSTS-156cm-Tall-Electric-Fence-4ft-6-/170667304307?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27bc906573(but my 13.2h 25yo pony still jumps them!)

BigRed

Visit site
The tape needs to be good quality and where it joins, try to join it properly with the metal buckles you can buy - rather than just tying it together. You need a good battery - I had a Leisure Battery which last a bit longer than a regular car battery. When your horse gets a couple of good wallops off the fence, he will give it a bit more respect.

eggs

Visit site
Get a good quality earth stake. I prefer 20mm tape to polyrope as I is more likely to break if the horse gets caught in it. Buy more fencing stakes so you can have on every 3 - 5 paces if it is windy. I find I helpful to loop the tape round each post to keep it taut.

muff747

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

Are batteries very expensive?

I bought a Fenceman unit which runs of normal batteries inside the unit. They lasted a good two months before they showed any signs of needing changing. I got it off e-bay, there's a company selling starter kits and there's instructions with it. Don't worry, it's not rocket science, you'll figure it out.
Main thing to remember is don't fix the electric tape directly to trees or fences, otherwise you'll lose the electric charge to earth.