Settling a anxious horse on new yard

Buddy26!

Visit site
hi, I'm after some advice, I've a lovely 14 year old cob who is as chilled as they come most of the time, but previously when we have moved yards he has either handled it like a dream or turned into an anxious unsettled ball of stress, bouncing up n down at stable door, calling, walking the fence or escaping his paddock.

Now I've made some mistakes over the years with him, I now know that he must have company in with him, over the fence doesn't work for him. And I know smaller less busy yards suit him best. At the end of July we're moving from the big yard were currently on - where we learnt that big yards aren't his ideal situation, he is ok now but it took a long time to get to where he is.

How can I help him settle and not fret when my other horse goes to and from field or for a ride.
Any tips on settling him in to make it easier on him would be great!

I'm sure I'm part of the issue as I find the whole moving Yards thing very stressful so maybe I need to chill too!

When he is fully settled he will happily stay in stable on own while I ride or in his paddock, but last time we moved it took months to get back to that.

Were not ones to move often but basic maintenance of fences, stables, facilities isn't happening and despite raising to YO things aren't improving and the care isn't to the standard we want. So we're moving before there is an accident.

Any reassurance, encouragement or advice you guys can offer would be great ?

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I dont think it ever goes away completely, BB runs for a wee while and shouts but he gets over it! He used to be really bad!! We moved yards 8 weeks agos and It does get better, he is currently in on his own right now after his anaphylactic shock yesterday ☺️

Equi

Visit site
Do you have a place booked at the new yard? Can you take him there a few times for lessons or the like so he can see the place?

If he gets off the box and is instantly just chilled out, don't take him home lol

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Ignore any stressing and get him into a routine straight away. Daily turn out and working, work him til he's tired. That will help him relax.

Buddy26!

Visit site
I dont think it ever goes away completely, BB runs for a wee while and shouts but he gets over it! He used to be really bad!! We moved yards 8 weeks agos and It does get better, he is currently in on his own right now after his anaphylactic shock yesterday ☺️
Oh no, hope you're boy is ok!

Buddy26!

Visit site
Do you have a place booked at the new yard? Can you take him there a few times for lessons or the like so he can see the place?

If he gets off the box and is instantly just chilled out, don't take him home lol
Thats a great idea, we move this Saturday so not sure i have the time now, but I'm definitely keeping this tip in mind!

Buddy26!

Visit site
Ignore any stressing and get him into a routine straight away. Daily turn out and working, work him til he's tired. That will help him relax.
Would you say get out hacking straight away then not just staying in the school for a while.
He will love more turn out at his new yard we will have to build up the time as I dont want to let him stay out 24/ 7 and risk colic. He only gets 5 hours out at moment!

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Would you say get out hacking straight away then not just staying in the school for a while.
He will love more turn out at his new yard we will have to build up the time as I dont want to let him stay out 24/ 7 and risk colic. He only gets 5 hours out at moment!
I would, nice wee wander around and get your bearings

Buddy26!

Visit site
Dont stress about it,he will sense it, just be relaxed, i moved 8 weeks ago and wish I did years ago now. My boy is so relaxed at this new yard
Yes I need a calmer for me lol
I admit I am probably overthinking it all.
I've viewed the yard 3 times and instantly feel at ease when I arrive and its well recommended by my farrier and he's not one to recommend places!

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Yes I need a calmer for me lol
I admit I am probably overthinking it all.
I've viewed the yard 3 times and instantly feel at ease when I arrive and its well recommended by my farrier and he's not one to recommend places!

No, they dont like to recommend cause most yards are full of witches!
Thats good you feel comfortable there. That always helps.
i had to move it was becoming ridiculously busy at the yard and far too much going on , it was frying poor bb’s head ?

Buddy26!

Visit site
Thanks everyone i feel better already!
I will make sure I keep you posted on the move
No, they dont like to recommend cause most yards are full of witches!
Thats good you feel comfortable there. That always helps.
i had to move it was becoming ridiculously busy at the yard and far too much going on , it was frying poor bb’s head ?

Yeah I can relate 70 horses on current yard, its too much for them and me. So many big personalities with opinions on everything. Its knocked my confidence to be honest feel like I can't do anything right!

Farrier got told off by staff for drinking a brew which I think tipped him over edge to say what are you doing here so I said I'm not happy and he gave me phone number of this new place and said they're great with horses and he can drink tea! Haha

Sossigpoker

Visit site
If he's a safe hack then yes. What's important is that you set a routine, so turn out same time , feed same time , ride same time, every day if you can.

Buddy26!

Visit site
Well that almost everything packed and ready for the move tomorrow.
Naturally I'm a tad nervous but just trying to be rational about it!
I've been and walked a few bridleways so I know a few routes to start with while we find our feet.

Buddy26!

Visit site
Well we did it! We moved! It really wasn't as bad as I was thinking.
They loaded well, ways have done before but I don't travel often as dont have my own trailer. They did ive 2 horse have a argument on route over the haynets tied up for for them, maybe I tie up shorter next time!

Once they arrived they were best buds again and walked to their paddock like they owned the place, heads down grazing!
We stuck to their routine and they came in for night, happy as anything in stables making pigs of themselves with how much hay they were inhaling but sure novelty will wear off.

We took your advice and got on with some work I just rode in arena they were fine. And I've arranged to hack out tomorrow evening with 2 ladies on the yard who have offered to give us the tour!

So relieved now time for a drink for me!