Settling after a long journey?

Bri

Visit site
New girly should be arriving tomorrow - any hints or tips on settling her very much appreciated.
She's coming over from Ireland, poor girl - 36 hour trip. Planning to let her out in the school when she arrives so she can stretch her legs but obviously she has to be wormed then stay in for 2 days. Also she's never been in a stable before so not sure how she's going to react to it! Any ideas on how to make it as stress free as possible for her?
Thanks!

Skhosu

Visit site
Let her in the school -how long can you leave her out for?
The longer the better I'd say, but maybe walk her round first to make sure she has stretched her legs.
No other suggestions really, walk her in hand lots if she can't go out, otherwise leave her with a big bed and lots of hay!

_jetset_

Visit site
How exciting!

I'm with vicijp with regards to letting her rehydrate. Maybe get her in her stable as soon as she arrives so she has a safe space and then get some electrolytes in her. Once she has been in her stable for a while, I would walk her around the school for a while to let her stretch her legs.

I know you'll already do this, but make sure she has lots of water, hay and a nice deep bed so she can have a sleep after her journey.

I hope everything goes well for you both. Lots of piccies when she comes please!

Salcey

Visit site
If shes never been in a stable before, I'd leave her in it for quite a while to become acustomed to it. (as long as its being enough for her to walk around and stretch her legs of course).
When I first got my mare she was 15.3 6yo and unbroken, she had never been in a stable before and I think it helped her to have that safe space which was hers.

Pidge

Visit site
No advice I'm afraid, but I'm so pleased you've bought her
smile.gif

Bri

Visit site
Thank you - me too!
smile.gif
Can hardly wait for her to arrive! Will be boring you all with the hundreds of pictures!

KatB

Visit site
Cant wait to see the new girly, I bet your very excited??! Echo what is said about electrolytes, though I fed mine in a sloppy mix of sugar beet water and a small feed, didnt want to worry him by syringing stuff down his throat, though thats prob me being soft! but other tahn that, just give her space and let her work out whats happening, and she'll be fine!
smile.gif
Good luck :grin;

truffles

Visit site
I'm bursting for you Bri! How exciting, you must be ecstatic! I can't get enough of that girly, the more photo's the better! Can't wait!
laugh.gif
xx

Pidge

Visit site
What time is she arriving? You won't be boring us with the photos, can't wait to see some more of her - you deserve her after everything you have/are going through.

Visit site
erm ... I would say let her in the school to stretch her legs for as long as possible and make her a big bed with plenty of hay etc. Stay with her for a while after you have put her in the stable to see how she reacts. Good luck x