Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t.

Lonesome_Dove

Visit site
My shetland pony was hobbling one evening, even rearing because he couldn't walk quick enough to get to his bucket and the vets do try to avoid coming out 'out of hours' if they can, but I insisted as I couldn't bear the thought of him being like that all night. Never got to the bottom of the lameness though!

Hopefully it's just an abcess - they can look like something a lot worse!

druid

Visit site
Well. we cuaght her up and she held the leg up and refused to move hence teh "non-weight bearing" bit - then we had to get her to teh stable and she wlake dthere (few hundred yards) but was hobbling rather than hopping on 3 legs...I found it hard to guage myself.

My normal vet isn't here, he's playing polo in Holland! This is just a referal to an equine hospital who I'm sure are competent of deciding when she needs to be seen. She's not improved this morning but seems bright and happy in herself.

druid

Visit site
Nope - just sitting here waiting for the vet. Just been out to talk to pony who would like to be out in the field NOW!!!

druid

Visit site
My horse is the world's biggest drama queen!!
smirk.gif
Vet came out walked her up (too lame to trot), had a fiddle - decided the heat in her hock is just from a bang and not contributing to the lameness. So we tried her with hoof testers and she nearly fell over, vet decides to x-ray pedal bone as the recation is too strong for bruising/abcess...clean plate. So we open where she's reacting....bingo, abcess!

I'm so relieved....not so happy about 7 days box rest though
crazy.gif

The best bit? As my neighbour/YO took off the shoe and opened the abcess (He's a qualified farrier) the bill was only €70!

TGM

Visit site
I've been waiting for this post all day! Bet you've never been so pleased to see pus in all your life
tongue.gif
. Glad to hear it was nothing serious!

GTs

Visit site
Pleased to hear she is OK - what you posted yesterday was quite concerning. I do not think you can classify her as a drama queen any horse would do the same.

You guys seem to put horses on box rest an awful lot, mine were never on box rest - for an abscess, bruised feet, kick (30 days off), and mystery lameness. To me horses are not made to stand still so unless you really really have to (like Barbaro for example) I would want them turned out.

LauraBR

Visit site
phew!

JF once wouldn't move at all with an abcess. Was jumping when he went lame- got lamer and lamer until about 10 feet from his stable he just wouldn't move AT ALL.

Very scary... after pus was found seem to remember myself and a very tall/strong vet reversing him into the nearest stable (regular occupant of nearest stable kicked out lol)- he would not walk.

Really must hurt them an awful lot- I guess it would be like us walking on a huge deep blister.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Really must hurt them an awful lot- I guess it would be like us walking on a huge deep blister.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever had a boil? I would say it would be like having one of those on bottom of your foot.

druid

Visit site
Thankys guys - GTS, she is a drama queen....she was freaking over the injections until we covered her eyes! She's on box rest becuase a muddy field will only bring another infection!!!

druid

Visit site
Yep...but the vet said 7 days box rest so 7 days box rest it is.... It's not that big of a deal really!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Thats great news Druid, my old mare once had an abscess, she lay down groaning and sweating. I thought she was dying of colic as she hadn't been lame! Bloody horses
smirk.gif