Shallow feet? What are the risks?

FFF

Visit site
We have just seen a lovely 5yo horse, who could be perfect, but one thing that is worrying us is that he has quite shallow feet.

He has never been shod so would be shod and would help a lot? Looking on the internet it seems that navicular can be brought on by shallow feet. Could this be possible?

We will be getting him vetted and aksing the vet/farrier, but can anyone help?!

Does anyone have a horse with shallow feet? Is it a problem and what do you do? :)

L&M

Visit site
I owned a sec d x arab with flat feet - my farrier did improve them and the only problem I ever had was a couple of occasions of bruised soles. He was sound for the 6 yrs I owned him.....

Snowysadude

Visit site
My boy has flat feet and his heels collapsed, corns also more common and he bruises his sole quite easily (now in bar shoes and gels to prevent this)! To get him shod costs me £140 a time :)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
We have just seen a lovely 5yo horse, who could be perfect, but one thing that is worrying us is that he has quite shallow feet.

He has never been shod so would be shod and would help a lot? Looking on the internet it seems that navicular can be brought on by shallow feet. Could this be possible?

We will be getting him vetted and aksing the vet/farrier, but can anyone help?!

Does anyone have a horse with shallow feet? Is it a problem and what do you do? :)

Navicular is usually brought on by contracted heels/high heels but then you can injure the navicular bone by also having underrun heels. It's the tiny bone that acts as a fulcrum for the ddft.

Anyway, how shallow are they? Have you got a photo?