Shamelessly judgemental thread!

Littlelegs

Visit site
And the 'my horse likes a wkend lie in' crowd always finish off by 3 or so at wkend too, presumably cos the horse enjoys a quiet early night in bed too.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Liveries not coming to see to their horses until after 9am on weekends, the horses don't know its a weekend and you want a lie in!

I'm with you on this one, though turnout at 12 and bring in at 3 is more the norm round here... because they need a lie-in, and they have stuff to do. I heard a good one yesterday, actually. "I was snowed in on my drive. By the time I got the car out it was nearly midday, and I figured that someone would've given her some hay by that time so there was no rush". She turned up mid-afternoon to muck out, and horse was left in all day. She didn't ask anyone to put hay in, she assumed.

There's also the people who insist on leaving stabled 24/7 purely for convenience, then get upset with horse when they barge and drag them across the yard. Seen a couple of those lately.

Luci07

Visit site
Actually for me, its when as soon as the horse isn't quite right, the immediate reaction is vet, full body scan and PANIC. Where as a dose of common sense is often all that is needed. Truly amazed at the amount of people who complain their horse has changed character/becoming unrideable and then it transpires said horse is only being ridden once a week whereas it was worked more previously. Or turned out more. Or a baby horse "suddenly"being horrid. They are babies, most try their luck. And of course, the "buy a saddle off ebay and it will fit". It might, if you knew you needed a specific saddle..

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Professional saddle fitting but must have breastplates for hacking or low level activities or saddle slips.

I myself have gone through 2 saddles on the last year as my big girl did indeed change shapes. I could have had my saddler out to reflock but wanted a new to me one. And indeed a saddle can be made to fit your horse by master Saddlers. As in flocking, yes the saddle has to fit in other areas. But this isn't the rocket science people make it out to be. Honestly it isn't. If you haven't got a clue about saddle fit then learn. This does not mean any ole cheap piece of crap will do. Also does not mean you have to spend 2k and tell everyone horses need "custom" saddles. I watched the crowd here pay 2k sterling for a saddle that retails at 1200 sterling. For that the saddle was missing the flap that covers the girth buckles. It sits way too high on the horse and slips around. The previous "custom" saddle was too narrow at the wither and too wide down the center. Quite strange. A little education and common sense goes a long way. I brought my ancient re flocked Stuebben out for the fitter when he was here. It fits my 18yo TB. Not the others. He couldn't believe the quality of a saddle made in the 60's, yup that's right. Still not even worn. Tried to buy it. No way. Fits Frank to a tee!

And like Lucie says, panic at every little thing and needing a vet for the slightest of things. It is possible to treat certain things yourself. Again common sense. Just because you throw money at something doesn't mean you're superior. And if you don't doesn't mean you're neglectful or stupid.

Terri

HeresHoping

Visit site
I've got one that actually, I am beginning to doubt my own sanity over (having seen that dressage pic on the other thread).

Flash nosebands. If you must wear them. I was always told the strap on the flash should point downwards. I say always told, but many years ago a well-intending Uni student made a mockery of the fact that I had the loose end facing upwards by pulling me out in front of the clinic and asking the other three members what was wrong with the picture. They all piped up straight away that my flash strap was pointing the wrong way and that an AI should know better. Given that the horse was handed to me like that it was a lesson learned with a heavy underline - doesn't matter who has tacked up, always check!

So forever more I have been surreptitiously turning them round on the horses that I ride with a quiet 'tut'.

RunToEarth

Visit site
People who buy horses as the natural progression from being at a riding school for a year or so, with nothing more than a basic ability to stay on the horse, and some concept of "mucking out" and then spend half their life on HHO reading threads that for all they know are completely inaccurate, and then diagnosing their horse with x, y and z based on that.

Buying a horse based on your abilities is a very sensbile thing to do, but if you don't know what a nose band's purpose is, are not sure how many rugs to put on without consulting the forum and cannot identify even the most basic problems a horse may suffer from - don't buy a horse.

Equine fashion & every one else's opinion. I tend to start with a very basic set of kit, if I think it needs something else I will ask three other people what they think and go on that. I'm not a fan of putting everything in a gag "just in case".

RunToEarth

Visit site
Actually the one that really got me this weekend just gone was "oh god, it's so cold out there, the horses would hate it, they're having a duvet day, they're so happy to be in and warm."

Horses (well, any horse I have ever had the pleasure of meeting) do not have duvet days. They don't really mind what the weather is doing, ours know that 7.30 is going out time, and I would be hard pushed to persuade them it was cold and snowy just because I could not be bothered to go outside in the cold to do them.

They are like hippos, they do not care what the weather is doing, they go out 365 days a year regardless and to the best of my knowledge they seem to like it that way, if they don't want to come in they stay out, no bother. Why people taylor their horses routines depending on the weather/their plans confuses me.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Actually the one that really got me this weekend just gone was "oh god, it's so cold out there, the horses would hate it, they're having a duvet day, they're so happy to be in and warm."

Horses (well, any horse I have ever had the pleasure of meeting) do not have duvet days. They don't really mind what the weather is doing, ours know that 7.30 is going out time, and I would be hard pushed to persuade them it was cold and snowy just because I could not be bothered to go outside in the cold to do them.

They are like hippos, they do not care what the weather is doing, they go out 365 days a year regardless and to the best of my knowledge they seem to like it that way, if they don't want to come in they stay out, no bother. Why people taylor their horses routines depending on the weather/their plans confuses me.

RTE if you would like to explain that to mine that would be great. I put her out at 8 this morning, went up at 11 to muck out cos I'm on holiday and she was pacing the fence line in the mud to come in.

Haylage untouched and it wasn't just because she had seen me because I snuck up on her and spied

You are lucky yours will stay out happily in all weathers , I wish mine would. She is genuinely happier inside when the weather is really rubbish. Which is annoying because I much prefer her to be outside but equally I'm not going to let her fret all day, eat nothing and lose condition

PolarSkye

Visit site
And like Lucie says, panic at every little thing and needing a vet for the slightest of things. It is possible to treat certain things yourself. Again common sense. Just because you throw money at something doesn't mean you're superior. And if you don't doesn't mean you're neglectful or stupid.

Terri

Well said Terri (and Lucie) . . . common sense is a wonderful thing when correctly applied. Joint fluid gushing down the leg? Get the horse to the vet ASAP. A superficial graze/cut? Clean it up with warm water a little hibiscrub and apply some sort of anti-bacterial agent to it. Keep an eye on it and if there's heat/puffiness, get the vet out. It isn't rocket science.

P

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oh dear that doesn't sound fun, my old mare did used to bring herself in when she felt the weather was too awful for her.

But I presume you put her out most days, even if she only stays out for a short time? What annoys me are people who make that decision for the horse - the lady this weekend who hadn't even been to hers because they wouldn't want to go out in this.

Ours come in early if they are stood at the gate, I think they know I can see them from the kitchen window - Jerry is good at pulling his "hey lady, blowing a gale, coming in time please" face at me :) But regardless I will always turn them out - let them decide if the weather is too pants for them.

PolarSkye

Visit site

Not mine. I'm having to feed him lunch and rug him up to the eyeballs b/c there is just no grass out there for him at the moment and if I don't he makes it known that he wants to come in by first pacing and then galloping along the fence line - expending precious calories.

On Saturday, I turned him out . . . watched him walk across the field and end up on stilts and when I went to catch him to de-ice his feet he actually sighed and followed me to the gate . . . he spent the day in, happily munching on ad lib hay and was calm and chilled.

Obviously, I would rather he was in than out . . . but when the weather makes it unsafe for him to be out, he stays in . . . and he doesn't mind one bit.

P

Jesstickle

Visit site
Oh dear that doesn't sound fun, my old mare did used to bring herself in when she felt the weather was too awful for her.

But I presume you put her out most days, even if she only stays out for a short time? What annoys me are people who make that decision for the horse - the lady this weekend who hadn't even been to hers because they wouldn't want to go out in this.

Ours come in early if they are stood at the gate, I think they know I can see them from the kitchen window - Jerry is good at pulling his "hey lady, blowing a gale, coming in time please" face at me :) But regardless I will always turn them out - let them decide if the weather is too pants for them.

I try to. When I am at work sometimes I can't manage it or can't do more than half an hour first thing though because I work full time and it's forty minutes from the yard to work so no popping back and by quarter to six she would be belting round in a fury!

She is being a perfect menace about it at the moment. It's tough though I don't want to ride something that hasn't been out for weeks so out she will go this week! Mares :rolleyes:

ETS: I would leave her to it but she is a nightmare for being a bit too fond of the vets AND she gets laminitis if she gets really stressed. She's a bit high maintenance. Good job she's pretty!

Last edited:

RunToEarth

Visit site
I try to. When I am at work sometimes I can't manage it or can't do more than half an hour first thing though because I work full time and it's forty minutes from the yard to work so no popping back and by quarter to six she would be belting round in a fury!

She is being a perfect menace about it at the moment. It's tough though I don't want to ride something that hasn't been out for weeks so out she will go this week! Mares :rolleyes:

It is a nightmare, I can remember being on limited turnout at uni and just dreading having to get on my old horse!

The comment about them being like hippos was specifically referring to our boys - I am not suggesting that everyone else's horses wallow about like ours do, they are an odd bunch!

DJ

Visit site
So what are yours?

People in general tbh ... lol ..... i`m a bit of a loner, having been bitless and barefoot, and classed as the local loonie for so long.

Makes me laugh when i see horses strapped up to the nines, trotting sideways down the roads, sweated up, eyes on stalks etc .... yet me and my lad in a halter, riding buckle end, chilled out enjoying each others company are the village weirdos :rolleyes:

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
OK, this is going to make me unpopular.

People who refer to themselves as "so and so's mum" or refer to "that's my baby".
No you're not, you're the owner.

If you were their mum/dad, you would do the horse equivalent of letting them grow up, get drunk occasionally, make silly mistakes and wave them off to Uni or on a tour of the world, date unsuitable men/women and possibly end up holding the baby or in some cases change from being a man/woman to a woman/man.

And if they never, ever did what you wanted, you'd just put up and decide to live with what they wanted.

onmybreak

Visit site
I always thought mine would hate duvet days so out he went every day. Then he got a swollen leg from mudfever so had to stay in a few days. The day he went back out he looked at me as if to say "Hey carrot lady what the heck are you doing putting me out in this?, I was quite comfy in my nice warm stable with a v large haynet"

Now I don't fret over it as much knowing he is perfectly happy to be in on particularly wet and nasty days.

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
thanks for comments on flashes. I agree they needed to be needed, not just used because they came with the bridle. Agree with the not too tight it cuts the blood supply off or effectes breathing. Bit.....I was told (recently by an instructor0 that unless it is tight enough the horse just sets his jaw against it to take up the slack, so making it worse.

Dont hate ignorance - ignorance only means not knowing something, there are an awful lot of things I am ignorant about (and so are you) - because I dont know what i dont know so cant go and find out about it! But I do try and learn - hence asking aboiut flashes!

wench

Visit site
People in here who think that DIY is the only way to keep a horse. Apparantly if your on full livery, you can't possibly develop a "bond" with your horse... yet they can develop a "bond" with their horse by just shovelling up it's ****e...

diamonddogs

Visit site
...Just because you throw money at something doesn't mean you're superior. And if you don't doesn't mean you're neglectful or stupid.

I'm going to frame this and hang it up on the noticeboard at the yard! I won't spend a penny on anything unless I have to (love the moneysaving tips threads, and most of my horsey cosmetics are bought from the human sections in Home Bargains for a fraction of the cost you'd pay in a tack shop) which means more cash for things that really matter.

I must be a ridiculously judgemental person, as I wholeheartedly agree with just about every post on this thread. :D

But in particular:

Baby horses who are learning how to be riding horses being trussed up in all sorts of unnecessary gadgets - if you buy a baby horse you should have the time and patience to take it slow and sure - there are no shortcuts if you want a well mannered horse, be it on the ground or under saddle.

Over rugging, or not applying common sense - a horse on my yard was wearing three rugs last week. He was then clipped, and I saw him running about the field with a single rug on, with the neck turned back, and there was no way he'd got it like that by himself.

Lie-ins at the weekend. Or any day for that matter. Your average horse doesn't appreciate breaks in routine - it unsettles them. Unless your routine is leaving them standing hock deep in filth because your routine happens to be visiting the yard at 2pm.

Keeping them in for no reason - like someone's already said, chuck them in the field and if they don't like it, leave them for an hour then let them come back in. Conversely, leaving them hanging round the gate for hours on end when you're around to fetch them in. Common sense again!

Know-alls. I've been around horses for over forty years, and rarely a day goes by when I don't learn something new, or learn a better way of doing things, and it drives me insane when someone who doesn't know me or my horse telling me that their way is the only way.

olop

Visit site
Know-it-alls & lack of common sense - unfortunately the horse world seems to attract these kind of people :rolleyes: