Share your feathers and

The-Bookworm

Visit site
How do you look after yours? Just curious thread.

I just wash and leave to dry. This was their second wash this year.
I don't use any lotions or potions on them over winter or summer.

We don't show but it's nice to see them the colour she was born with from time to time!

PicsArt_05-15-06.07.34.jpg

The-Bookworm

Visit site
Now thats a horse mine would love to trot of into the sunset with.
Lovely looking lad.

She has to have very warm water for her feathers and a decent scratch of the cannon bone then she's asleep.

Reactions: SEL

Twohorses

Visit site
Wowzer! Those are some gorgeous feathers!

I have Walking Horses so no feathers. What little they do have gets completely cut off when the weather warms up. -- as in crew cut off:). We have waaay too much humidity, I would have to wash legs every day starting last month:)

However, as another poster commented. I am going to enjoy this thread and I tip my hat to those of you who give such great care to those gorgeous legs. They are sort of the "Betty Grable legs" of the horse world:):)

SamanthaToby

Visit site
I have a very hairy Cob. I have put a mix of tessamae Deep Cleansing, Vanish, and the Blue fairy (and even teh Green Platinum one) in a bucket and stood his foot in the bucket and gone for it. Must do a test patch 1st to make sure it didn't bother his skin and I have been up this morning and checked the skin again. I left it for a bit and then added Galop Purple Shampoo on them and left for a few mins then washed through. Then added conditioner (the cheep coconut stuff) They were gray from the rubber in the arena but seems to have comen up well. They are a little yellow at the ends so will be doing teh same again in a few days. I have sprayed just pig oil on them as they dry as I have heard mix reviews about the Super. I have also been advised that Cowboy Magin yellow removal shampoo is a godsend so I am awaiting delivery of this. I have also put a touch of leg guard on the wet legs and allowed to dry in. Looking this morning at him (he lives out 24 hrs) he seemed to still be white, there are a few brown bits nothing that I think Ehh why did I bother, in his defense, it did rain all night last night.

How soon before you have a show planned do you guys bath and how may bath do you go thought. I am due to have him clipped about 2 weeks before teh show and some on the yard as saying that is to close to the show. I can't get her out any sooner thought.

Ps this is my 1st hairy and my 1st show prep experience!

The Trooper

Visit site
I don't wash either of my two mare's legs (2x mares, 8x legs total - Incase anyone had visions of a 2-legged horse) all that often.

Bonnie is a shire and I like to keep her legs greasy to aid waterproofness etc.

When I do clean them, I use normal off the shelf shampoo, tresemee last time as that's what my partners sister left at ours last time she was down and then follow up with wood flour, really makes them fluffy and white!