Share your stable secrets + tips to make everyone's lives easier!

2K85

Visit site
I can't claim this as mine - but someone mentioned on here not long ago that they use a magnet on a pole to pick up nails after the farrier has been - I'll be using that idea next time he comes!

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
Pledge polish as a detangler, smells nice and works for a couple of days - cheaper too

for those with thick tails like mine, dog brush - half the time half the ache

Vic under the nose in winter - refreshes them like nothing,

surgical spirit for spots that need hardening, obviously no wound

warm warter and a sponge after clipping, removes most of the dead hair, flick off with brush, rug and out

Doing biggish long plaits and leaving in for a couple of days will help those, again like mine, where the mane does not know which side to sit. best done in summer as keeps neck cool and flies get swatted better too.

Vaseline on lips or round the lips and bit, if on long hacks

seche

Visit site
I second Pledge - cheaper that show shine and goes just as far!!

long plat in tail to keep mud off and detangled

liquid parafin (or glup) as its know in our familly on legs

hot clothing a clipped horse - much quicker than hours grooming where it may get chilly. hot hot hot water, rubber gloves, propper stable rubber/tea towel, lavender wash OR detol and off you go.

wash boots/girth/numnahs/sleeves etc - religiously everyother ride with touch of detol in machine - kills any potenial bacteria and prevents skin infections etc

for the 1st time you wash a sheepskin cover it in really cheap conditioner (co-ops apple stuff I use) before it goes in the machine - comes out super fluffy!

a laddered pair of nylon tights polish up long boots amazingly!!

saddle balm - brilliant hand moisturiser!! plus cornusressin (sp?!?!) very good at hardening human nails - makes them go an attrctive brown colour too though!!
frown.gif

brightmount

Visit site
I keep a pizza knife in my grooming box for cutting baling twine on hay and straw bales. The curved blade is good at finding the twine even when it's embedded in the bale.

This sort of thing...

arton207.jpg

AnnaandStella

Visit site
Gave stella a super-groom today + a tail wash + she's literally sparkling (bit of baby oil). She was basking in the sun as i did it - what a gorgeous day!

townfieldlass

Visit site
I put double ended clips on the haynets so instead of tying them up I just clp them up. Saves time and they cannot untie a clip.

Also, never brush a horse before turnout, I always brush on turn in, if you brush before turnout thy are more likely to roll!
smile.gif

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
some great idea here, although I am smug as my pony is a dark bay and thus already the colour of mud
laugh.gif
here are my top tips

> Rubber mats and deeplitter shavings; so much easier if you work during the week - and you can do a 'thorough' job on a Sunday afternoon.
> use a large pair of scisors to put a hole though a swede and thread it onto a likit holder. not only is it healthier for the horse, it is also quicker to do that trying to open the likit packets!!
> using turn out rugs instead of stable rugs - they seem to fit better as they are designed to allow maximum movement and saves time when you want to turn out.
> a metal cattle comb (one of those double circle things) is great for getting SERIOUS mud off in a hurry if used carefully. Much kinder than scrubbing with a plastic/rubber curry comb

thats all I can think of for now.

Hollycat

Visit site
Put 'Vanish' on a white/grey tail (avoiding dock). Leave for 5 mins then shampoo and condition as normal - you will have a wonderful clean tail
cool.gif

f_s_

Visit site
Cut off the clips on old lead ropes and attach to hay nets, much easier to hang and tie securely

SO1

Visit site
I use pig oil and sulphur as anti mud fever potion - also found it makes a good hoof oil and mane and tail conditioner.

Human hairbrush for brushing manes and tails

Skiing ear muff for keeping ears warm in winter can also be warn under riding hat

Use garden gloves to muck out as can pick up stray poos. Also use them to take the poos out before touching the bedding, quicker and saves bedding.