Sharer woes

JulesRules

Visit site
A combination of circumstances including losing my sharer for various reasons, bad weather, a really busy YO and a new job have all conspired so that my horse hasn't been ridden in about 12 days.

She is going really well - fit, muscled and slim for her, considering she is normally a fatty and I'm worried if this goes on much longer and the spring grass comes through I will lose all the hard work of the last 6 months.

I'm desperate to find a sharer, and being experienced in having sharers I know it can take a while to find the right person, but in the two weeks since I advertised I have only had one response and that person wasn't hugely suitable.

I have asked my YO to ride her a couple of times (for payment ) but the last 2 times she hasn't ridden in the end for various reasons (being too busy and not being well) so I've kind of given up on that.

I have a new job where I am away a bit in the week and the only days I have had time to ride the weather has conspired against me.I'm not just talking a bit of drizzle. Our yard is on a windy hill top and the weather can get quite wild.

Anyway. I'm just venting my frustration really as the real answer to my prayers would be a super sharer but there is currently no sign of one.

I've advertised on Preloved and local FB groups and my horse isn't for everyone and my ad is honest about her faults and capabilities. Anyone got any other thoughts where to find a sharer?

Fingers crossed for the weather this weekend.

SEL

Visit site
Are you anywhere near the local agricultural college or equine college? Plus ads in feed stores / tack supply places sometimes get a better response.

An ad on here might be a good idea too!

abbijay

Visit site
Ask around and mention to everyone that you're looking. Your instructor, vet, farrier, dentist, local riding club, etc. These people will all know horsey people who might be without a ride at the moment not just some of the novices who respond to a preloved ad. The old paper ad at tack shops still has a place as do local competition centres.
I can completely empathise with how difficult it is to find a good sharer. I have recently "settled" with a sharer who wasn't really what I wanted but I was desperate for help. It took 5 months but then I started to get more suitable offers in.

JulesRules

Visit site
Wrong end of the county for the agricultural college. I'll put ads in tack shops over the weekend but if I'm honest I've never had a reply to anything put up in any before.

Might have a chat with YO and say if she doesn't have time I will have to pay someone. SHe is a bit funny about other people being paid to ride our horses.

JulesRules

Visit site
Wrong end of the county for the agricultural college. I'll put ads in tack shops over the weekend but if I'm honest I've never had a reply to anything put up in any before.

Might have a chat with YO and say if she doesn't have time I will have to pay someone. SHe is a bit funny about other people being paid to ride our horses.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
She looks like a nice useful type, and your ad is very honest. However, the fact that she needs an experienced rider and is not good in traffic at age 13 goes against her I'm afraid. Many folk want to hack out without having to rely on accompanying hacking buddies.

Still, maybe the right sharer may pop up. In the meantime, paying someone to exercise her sounds like the way forward. Good luck.

ihatework

Visit site
You want her ridden, you need someone with experience. I'd consider that payment and chores may need to be negotiable for the right person.

Personally I'd shorten the advert, cut the waffle, and describe the type of person you are looking for rather than a long list of negatives.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I think your required contribution is very reasonable, considering you are open to sharer joining in on competing etc. (I paid around £150 for current share horse, and there are people paying more!)

Hacking issues may be a downfall unfortunately, but I think you need to cut some of the negatives out as it may put people off seeing her at all. Or perhaps just say 'prefers to hack in company' and leave it at that.

Other than that, she's a lovely wee horse!

Damnation

Visit site
You want her ridden, you need someone with experience. I'd consider that payment and chores may need to be negotiable for the right person.

Personally I'd shorten the advert, cut the waffle, and describe the type of person you are looking for rather than a long list of negatives.

Yep.

I'd shorten it to:

Sharer wanted for Smudge, to stay on small friendly yard near Fillongley / Maxstoke / Meriden with good facilities.

Prefers to hack in company and transport is available for off road hacks/sponsored rides.

She recently started competing at intro dressage after being restarted after injury but will be ready to SJ/XC school this year.

Smudge requires a confident rider but isn't silly. She is easy to handle in all ways.

I am looking for someone who can ride and do yard jobs 2 to 3 days a week and pay a small financial contribution. Negotiable to the right person.

Over 18s only please, own transport to the yard will be required.

Please get in touch if you think you might be the right sharer for my lovely girl, or if you have any questions.

SpringArising

Visit site
Personally I find the ad confusing. You say that she needs a confident rider as she can take the mick, but then say that she doesn't do anything silly and you've happily put your child nieces on her. What does she do that warrants a confident rider?

Like others have said I'd also cut the waffle. Re. the hacking part, just say "Smudge isn't good in traffic or to hack alone, so if this is what you want to do then she might not be the horse for you".

Being honest, she doesn't sound like the type of horse that the type of rider she needs (according to the ad) would want or enjoy riding, especially for money and chores. It sounds as though someone would be doing you a favour, so I'd either omit the money or the chores.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
So looking it at as someone keeping an eye out for a ride at the moment. If I am doing chores I do not expect to pay for helping someone else out to keep their horse fit and healthy if the horse needs it/owner is unable to rather than them putting themselves out to let me ride. They are getting someone with experience, happy to take sole charge, who would also be responsible if an issue occurred on their days. I know it is fairly normal in some circles to pay but I do think you limit your options a bit then.

Not being able to be hacked alone will put a fair few people off as it does mean you need to organise when you will do that with others on the yard, which until you know people on said yard and when you are only there intermittently can be tricky as a sharer too. I would certainly put the good stuff in the advert first rather than starting out with the hacking problem.

Myloubylou

Visit site
I'd agree with contribution & chores being bit too much to expect. I have had sharers paying between £15 and £40 a week for 2 days but with no chores as horse on full livery. Said horse is brill to hack out, school & jump. I'd say payment encourages reliability as something to lose if don't make it to yard. Is a weird line between paying someone to ride to keep fit verses someone paying to share!

JulesRules

Visit site
If you put a total novice on her she will happily plod round the school because she is not being asked to do anything much.

If you put some on her who is straight out of riding school and only ridden riding school horses, or doesn't ride positively forward she will do a bit of half arsed trot and canter and then start playing them up - planting, refusing to move, pretending to be scared of leaves or just plodding around without putting any effort in. Basically they just won't get anything decent out of her. I had a sharer once who said to a friend "oh there is a lot she can't do". My friend asked what is was she couldn't do and then proceeded to get on her and show that she could do those things.

If you put someone on her who is a half decent rider she will go like a dream. She has a lovely trot and bags of potential.

In terms of the hacking side of things, up until a year ago we were on yards with 100 acres off road hacking or with direct access to bridle paths so we rarely went on the roads. Personally I'm not a fan of road hacking as I always think it's only a matter of time until you have an incident and although most drivers are careful and patient there is always one idiot. I live in fear of her getting hurt by a car so I have to trust someone a lot before I let them hack her out although someone hacking her out regularly on the lanes would probably do her the world of good. If someone wants a happy hacker however, she isn't for them.

I'm not that fussed about the finances, but have found that asking for a contribution gets you someone more committed. I definitely need someone who can do jobs as my last sharer didn't ( he paid a bit extra to not) but with other commitments time is my main problem.

Anyway, I'll look at the ad again later and may edit a bit....

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The thing is you say that if someone wants a happy hacker she isn't for them, but you also say that she is almost ready to go prelim which says to me she isn't going to be any great shakes schooling wise if that is your thing either (if this isn't true you need to say different IMO) and that I will be working on and improving this horse, that is enjoyable in itself but you are aware you are going from the bottom. I trialled one last week that was older and would have been a lot of work to make an 'enjoyable' school though I suspect he would have been a fab hack (there were some other issues too). My concern over something that isn't easily hackable would be the planning side of things as I said, with people I don't know and won't see very often, and what would happen if the school was busy when I wanted to ride?- I understand that might not be an issue but it would be a concern for me reading your ad.

I have done it from the other way too, Frank had a sharer who did 2 days a week with most chores no charge because she was doing me a huge favour and made life a lot easier. She was just as dedicated as anyone paying (as have I and my sister been) and got a pony who was 100% to hack in traffic though we had lots of lovely off road too and schooling at medium, though she was interested in that side of things but because he was established I wouldn't have worried about someone being inconsistent with his work as she hadn't done much. She wasn't the most experienced and had to ask questions/I would leave instructions re. rugs etc or she would come ask me as I lived on site.

I think if you want someone that is half decent so you can guarantee won't spoil or confuse a horse that is less established and will also do all chores to a good standard without guidance you have to be prepared for them not to pay for it if that isn't so crucial to you.

Frumpoon

Visit site
I saw this one Facebook and tagged a very competent older teenager I know so hopefully she will be in touch with you

wingedhorse

Visit site

Your advert reads that you have no off road hacking. Mare not good in traffic. And horse is not yet cantering in balance in school. And has history of lameness. And is possibly nappy unless has assertive rider.

If any of the above are not accurate assumptions I'd re-write.

If they are accurate I'd rewrite advert to say help wanted with project horse no chores / costs but need someone experienced and reliable.

The middle picture (unridden) one makes her look very downhill. Suggest replacing it as looks better in other pictures.

JulesRules

Visit site
Thanks Frumpoon. Fingers crossed.

In terms of her ability, it's not that she isn't capable she has just lacked opportunity and consistency in her education.I bought her as a very fat green 7 year old who had been a field ornament. We had just started really making progress when due to a hock injury she had the best part of 2 years off so we had to restart at the beginning so maybe I should say that.

wingedhorse

Visit site

Your advert reads that you have no off road hacking. And horse is not yet cantering in balance in school. And has history of lameness. And is possibly nappy unless has assertive rider.

If any of the above are not accurate assumptions I'd re-write.

If they are accurate I'd rewrite advert to say help wanted with project horse no chores / costs but need someone experienced and reliable.

The middle picture (unridden) one makes her look very downhill. Suggest replacing it as looks better in other pictures.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Thanks Frumpoon. Fingers crossed.

In terms of her ability, it's not that she isn't capable she has just lacked opportunity and consistency in her education.I bought her as a very fat green 7 year old who had been a field ornament. We had just started really making progress when due to a hock injury she had the best part of 2 years off so we had to restart at the beginning so maybe I should say that.

That isn't relevant to someone looking to share a horse. They want to know what stage the horse is at, not what potential you think it has or your excuses (sorry that's what it sounds like) for why it hasn't realised that potential.

Horse is 13, you've owned since 7, with 2yrs off that still leaves 4yrs. The horse should have been schooled easily in that time to be capable of doing the basics. In a 13yr old, walk/trot/canter large round the arena and on a 20m circle, jumping 2'3" and hacking out with minimal fuss is the very least I'd expect. At 13, if a horse can't do those things, I'd assume it needs a lot of work to make it a decent ride, which as the sharer would be down to me (because if the owner was ever going to do it, why hasn't it already been done?). Or that for some physical reason the horse is incapable of doing those things/staying sound.

If the horse can do those basics, then don't mention all the negative points about what she doesn't do. Just advertise for the kind of rider you want. If she's not trouble just say she needs a competent rider. "Experienced rider/not novice ride" makes it sound like she's trouble in some way. You'll have to wade through timewasters who think they're competent but in reality can't even do rising trot well, but at least you won't be putting everybody else off replying.

wingedhorse

Visit site
Any better now?

Definitely better. Are you working on building her confidence and experience in traffic,yourself? As if so maybe put limited exposure to traffic, but gaining confidence each week she does hack out with me?

I'd be put off sharing a horse where the horse wasn't used to traffic , the owner wasn't working on solving this, and the only diret hacking straight from the yard hacking involved road work.

JulesRules

Visit site
Thanks to everyone who has given advice about the advert. Let's see if I get any more responses now I have tweaked it. As I said in my OP I know from experience it always takes time to find the right sharer but I know there are the right people out there and not everyone wants to hack. I'm just frustrated by everything as she has been going brilliantly and I just really want to maintain that.

For those of you who decided to give feedback on my horse, thanks but it wasn't required. I'm perfectly happy with her, quirks and all.

q105

Visit site
I'm a sharer myself. I saw an ad for two ex-racers who were desperate to just get out and about. My riding standard was nowhere near what the owner required, but I called anyway.

She was desperate. That's the long and short of it. I'm reliable (as far as I can be with a military career!) and dedicated. And although I'm certain there have been times when the owner has held her head in her hands and wondered how she can get rid of me, I'm still with her three years, two new yards, about 2-4hrs of lessons per week, over an hour drive to the yard later!

Her younger, less established TB is quirky, there's nothing novice about him! But the progress me and that ginger pig have made is nothing short of amazing. I'd only ridden old schoolies or riding school ponies before. Now I can literally get on anything. I persisted with him. Owner persisted with me. And we are competing. And having a great time!

My point is, if you really do need your horse exercised, make sure your advert allows little enough detail that people with even call. Sometimes perfect isn't what you expect.

PS. I know a lot of people here will be horrified at the blasé nature my circumstance came about under, but my owner now wouldn't survive without me. And both horses are fitter and happier than they've ever been.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thanks to everyone who has given advice about the advert. Let's see if I get any more responses now I have tweaked it. As I said in my OP I know from experience it always takes time to find the right sharer but I know there are the right people out there and not everyone wants to hack. I'm just frustrated by everything as she has been going brilliantly and I just really want to maintain that.

For those of you who decided to give feedback on my horse, thanks but it wasn't required. I'm perfectly happy with her, quirks and all.

I think the advert is better now and the thing is no horse is perfect I have a 13 year old gelding who is not great on the road if a car is going a little but too fast he will jump or spin round and for this reason I don't do busy roads, I have had him all his life and have tried to make him safer but his only ever got mildly better, I just think his never going to be happy around cars some horses are not, I just thought I would mention this as I thought the people saying you need to get her used to traffic were being a bit unfair it's not always that easy.