Sharer - would you consider someone under 18?

Jingleballs

Visit site
I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself as I've not met the girl yet and she's not met my horse but may as well think about the possible issues/considerations sooner rather than later.

I've advertised my horse for share and have a 16 year old coming to see him this weekend. She's a friend of a friends daughter, been riding for a few years and been sharing another horse for 2 years but that share has ended due to the horse being retired.

Firstly, there are practical concerns such as getting a contract in place (assume her parent would have to sign this), ensuring she has her own insurance - I need to read my own policy to see what the wording is around public liability if the horse is being ridden by someone other than me and if there are any restrictions around age or whether the other person needs to be insured.

Then there are concerns around how competent & reliable she is although I'm hopeful that if she's shared before she is pretty experienced but will need to find out more tomorrow.

Her age does worry me a bit in general - is a 16 year old responsbile enough to go out hacking on her own for example? We don't really have any facilities and I've advertised him as hacking only at the moment until we have an arena. There is plenty of company at our yard and I've known plenty of younger horse owners who were very responsible but I'm not sure if it's worth the risk? I'm not sharing him because I need the money but I don't have as much time these days and through it would do him good to get a bit more attention - I just don't know how much time I'd need to spend helping/watching this girl to feel comfortable leaving her to it on her own. My last sharer was older, more experience and also a vet and I didn't really have to spend much time to make sure she was competent on her own and trusted her judgment with things.

Does anyone else have a younger sharer and how does it work?

Orca

Visit site
I haven't had a young sharer but I did run my first yard at 16 (a small private hunting yard of six horses). I had been hacking my own horses on my own for many years before that. You will have to assess the individual, I think. Some 16 year olds might not be up to the job but others will and the fact that she's shared previously is encouraging, I would think :).

emmad96

Visit site
In terms of hacking out by herself - most likely. I know 13yos that hack out by themselves all the time.

As for the rest of it, I'm 20 and I still doubt myself all the time, but I don't have an awful lot of support, but my horses are happy and healthy and safe.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I would never EVER let anyone under 18 share my horses. Firstly the practicalities i.e. my mare is only a baby, she needs an experienced rider. A mistake with her now could ruin her. I just couldn't trust a child with this responsibility.
Secondly my own beautiful little gelding was nearly ruined beyond repair by a 14 year old sharer when his last owner had him.
I already knew the pony as his old owner used to keep at the same livery yard as I was on. He was a beautiful strong chestnut pony with the most adorable cheeky character when I knew him before. His owner then moved yards. A few month later I heard he was for sale and contacted her straight away to say I wanted him. When I went to collect him though he was a shadow of his old self. His coat dull, his eyes dead, and definitly on the thin side.
It came out that his old owner had bought another horse and got a sharer for him who had run the poor thing off his feet and pushing him beyond what he was capable of.
Thankfully 6 months with me, worming, and lots of TLC he was back to his old self.
Now obviously im not saying all under 18s are this irresponsible. Im sure there are some great ones but I would be very careful vetting them beforehand. I also would ask others on the yard to keep a close eye on them when youre not there until at least youre sure they can be trusted.

JulesRules

Visit site
I have had two younger sharers.

The first was 16 when she started and was a nightmare but I don't think it was her age so much as she just didn't have any concept of her surroundings - breaking a bridle after coming off due to allowing horse to put nose on electric fence was just one incident that springs to mind. I was about to give her notice when she gave me notice as she was off to college. Sweet girl, just a total liability.

Second was 17 when she started and was a dream. Again she left for uni but still comes to see us in the holidays

WandaMare

Visit site
Yes I would but I would need to be sure they were the right person. I would definitely trial them first. Some people are more sensible and mature at 16 than others at 40 :)

millikins

Visit site
As others, depends entirely on the girl herself. If she is a member of Pony Club or BHS she will have 3rd party insurance.

pennyturner

Visit site
I have 6 'sharers' who ride my ponies, aged 3 to 10. Some have horsey parents who help, (or lead, in the case of the 3 year old!). They all muck in catching, tacking and riding out, along with my kids. Sometimes I have a ride of 10 or 11, with just one adult!

It works for us, but then I'm not expecting them to do chores, and there is supervision - although they are expected to do things for themselves to the maximum of their ability, and the older kids are expected to help the younger ones.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Been there, done that a few times and never again! The ones that I've had, have been bone idle, unreliable and just generally useless!

However if this one has already been sharing for 2 years then thats a good sign! You dont keep a sharer for 2 years if they are any of the above :)

Auslander

Visit site
It would entirely depend on the kid. I wouldn't have a teenager hack Alf, because he is too big/strong/sharp - but tbh, I'm very careful about which adults I would allow to hack him, as he is more than capable of dropping someone, and would not wait around if someone fell off. I wouldn't want anyone but me to have it on their conscience if he cleared off home and met a car/knackered his already crocked legs.

If I hadn't met a lovely woman, who allowed to me to ride some fab horses, at the age of 13 - I doubt I would be the rider I am today, so if I have the opportunity to do the same for a youngster, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Spike had a teenage rider for a bit, and I was very happy to allow her to do whatever she wanted with him. They had a lot of fun

Shay

Visit site
All my sharers are under 18 (I have a 1st competition pony for share). The best one I ever had was a very slight 16yr old.

There are issues around sharing with those less experienced. Age doesn't really have so much to do with it as attitude and experience. I have known some very silly and dangerous 20yr old + sharers on yard. And some very competent and careful 12 yr olds.

As with anyone - get a contract (which her parents have to sign). Make sure she has insurance -rider only or through membership of the BHS or PC. And set very clear guidelines.

You could also get a reference from her previous sharer!

Clare85

Visit site
As others, it would depend on the individual in question. Some kids are a nightmare, some are more responsible and willing to learn than some adults.

I started sharing a horse at the age of 11. The owner had 4 horses and needed help exercising them all. My parents paid her a small monthly amount and Oliver was basically mine to ride as I pleased as no one else rode him. I was extremely shy but hard working, reliable and willing to learn. She brought me out of myself and taught me so much, as did the horse, and she used to ferry me around to pony club and shows with her. I feel so lucky, as without her, I would never have had a horsey childhood and wouldn't be half the horsewoman/rider I am now. She is one of my very best friends 19 years later - me at 30 and her at almost 45.

There are some kids out there who would be fabulous sharers, so don't write this girl off purely based on her age :)

AmberThePony

Visit site
I started sharing age 13 and I'm now loaning the two ponies, I hacked out on my own but I am quite a sensible/reliable person. I also did/do a lot of yard jobs for them. I do know other people my age who I certainly wouldn't trust with horses, but it really depends on the person.

Last edited:

rachk89

Visit site
Just depends on the 16 year old. At my last yard there was 3 young girls around the age of 16 that worked there. Two of them owned horses and one kind of loaned a horse and i would trust any of them with my boy. They knew how to handle him when he is being a little silly and would tell him off for bad behaviour. Some 16 year olds aren't trustworthy but others are just have to see what they are like. There is a young boy at my current yard around that age and he is brilliant with the horses and actually seems to know more at times than the yard manager. Again would trust him with my horse too. Get to know her and see what she is like first maybe test her knowledge a little?

ihatework

Visit site
Completely depends on the 16yo

At that age myself I had share/loan horses (didn't get my own until early 20's).
Had reasonably uninterested parents and completely non horsey.

But I'd like to think I was ultra reliable.
I was reliable enough that when the YO went on holiday I house sat and oversaw the running of the yard....
Adult Liveries on site offered me their horses to ride/share
YO legged me up on the babies and allowed me to hack her advanced horse out unaccompanied

I'm sure I did daft teenage things at times. Who didn't?

Last edited:

Jenni&Ditty

Visit site
I'm 16, and I know that it's pretty obvious to say that I would consider the person, but we're not all as irresponsible as you think! 'My' horse belongs to a lovely lady so it is kind of a share, she lets me ride her and the others, I ride on my own most of the time and I have done for years. I love the horse and I would never do anything to put her in danger, and I certainly wouldn't be where am I today without that ladys very kind generosity. As long as you get the right person that is committed enough to horses and their riding then they will be responsible

kassieg

Visit site
I rode for other people at 15/16 as well as owning my own since i was 11. I had a share a 9 & a full loan from 10 then we bought. My parents werent horsey & still arent. They gave me lifts & would help carry the water bucket but I did all of the mucking out & everything from the age of 9. I would hope someone at 16 would be mature enough to have a share. I think kids don't have as much responsibility these days but I would still hope that they would be fine. If I had an older horse I wouldn't hesitate providing them & the horse click of course :)

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Recent experiences - I have two girls coming to ride my mare. It was supposed to be 3 days each a week - I've seen one of them once since Christmas. Seems if their parents can't drop them off (which is more often than they can), the just don't come. So one thing to consider is how close to public transport you are and if she is prepared to use it. The last girl who was riding my mare was also had issues with her parents not dropping her off, was equally unwilling to use public transport and shanks pony - I ended up ferrying her around. Never again!

HashRouge

Visit site
I would meet her and, if you like her, maybe do some trial days to see how you get on and, if you decide to go ahead, you could always start with a 4 week trial period and ask other people on the yard to keep an eye on her. I had my own horse from the age of 11 and was left largely unsupervised, which I don't think was necessarily good idea for the first few years, but from the age of 14 onward I think I matured into a very responsible horse owner and my mare was treated like a queen. I think I was more responsible than a considerable number of adult owners I knew at the time!

skint1

Visit site
My daughter started sharing my friend's pony when she was 11 and went on to full loan him for about 7 years. I knew her brother (outside of horses) and although my daughter has well outgrown the pony (who is now in a lovely loan home) we are all still good friends.

I think the important thing is to ensure the parents are on board understand the level of commitment required, especially non-horsey parents. For example, the pony/horse has been ridden and requires cooling down, brush/wash off before being fed and turned out (or put in stable for night) but impatient parent is waiting in car so horse gets chucked in box with tack on, you can't strictly blame the kid, the will may be there, but ultimately the parent, through not understanding or something else, has prevented them from being a responsible carer for the pony

muckypony

Visit site
I wouldn't be concerned about the capabilities of someone at 16, when I was that age I certainly knew more than some adults... I would be more concerned about legalities etc of a child riding/handling your horse. No idea how it works so best to speak to BHS.

maxapple

Visit site
I had a 14 yr old sharer for my pony, but she always had her mum with her. (My pony was quite a wally so I wouldn't have wanted her hacking out on her own)

She was fantastic - had lessons, looked after him well and they were great together. She only gave up when she wanted to start jumping higher.

Teenagers are like adults - some are great, some aren't!

crabbymare

Visit site
all depends on the individual. you can have a good 16yr old sharer and can have a rubbish 30yr old sharer so see what you think when you meet her and go from there

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
Teenagers are like adults without transport.

Age 16 I had a moped so was able to get myself about and before that I had a bike and feet so providing it wasn't a million miles away I was capable of getting to where I needed to be. I wouldn't have taken on a share that was a pain to get to. Not all adults can drive, you could equally end up with a 30 year old who has a grumpy husband huffing in the car because she's taking to long with the bl**dy horse.

As others have said it depends on the person not their age, I know a number of teenagers that I would trust with my horse or my cat and a number of adults that I wouldn't.

rascal

Visit site
I wouldn't let anyone share our horses or ponies after the last one. We have had plenty of happy shares in the past but this lot were a nightmare. The girl was only 10 so had to be accompanied. Her mother was a liar and a thief, they still have some of the ponys tack. As we couldn't leave anything at the yard, they had to take it home with them. They used to leave the horses in the stables for many hours (although they live out) with no hay or water. When we asked them not to, they ignored us. The yard was on an extremely busy main road, and we provided hi viz for both pony and rider, but we often saw them without it. Eventually we got fed up with them, but they refused to give back tack or keys. They also used to sneak extra feeds to the pony, who had had laminitis, that's why we wanted someone to ride him, to keep his weight down and keep him fit as my girls had grown out of him.