Sharers... help me find a clone of me

Baileysno1

Visit site
I've just moved my horse to the Newark area as me and my partner are relocating, I'm expecting and am due early October. I'm still riding but this has been reduced to wednesdays and weekends as I'm commuting backwards and forwards to work now so hes on part livery.

My horse has 75BD points and with the right rider will do all the medium movements, all the lateral work is there and he does nice clean changes. He is excellent to hack in company and very easy to do, long term I think if I found someone like minded to share him who wanted to focus on dressage and schooling on a quality horse but had limited time, both the sharer and the horse would get allot out of it.

I'm just not sure where to advertise for that type of person, the new yard is private and someones home but has amazing facilities I don't want people trapsing in and out and I don't want to put Leonard through endless trials with unsuitable riders, or myself through too much stress - I basically want a clone of me!

I know its a tall order but I'm sure there is someone out there who would get allot out of riding him, I'd probably ask for a small contribution as theres no stable chores involved and maternity pay will only go so far
wink.gif
Maybe even another Mum who wants to ride again or someone who works full time too.

Enough rambling, how can I find this person, I though of advertising on the BD website or local dressage venues? How can I avoid any wierdos? I was thinking of having a pre-'meet the horse coffee' or something so I can suss people out and discuss everything fully before dragging them up to the yard would this put you off as a potential sharer?

bhpride

Visit site
Dear god I wish you were near me!!

Sharers - get them on to ride before the interview, so many people claim to be experienced riders but are not. You'll suss out whether they're going to be any good within 5 minutes trust me lol. But you're advertising in good places so I'm sure you'll be fine
smile.gif

UKa

community.webshots.com
I also would get them to ride first - I was suspicious once when I had a potential sharer come up just wanting to chat first. Personally I want to see them ride before anything else can be discussed.Good luck! and congrats to the pregnancy

Annagain

Visit site
If and when you do find somebody you think is suitable, have a trial for a few weeks just to make sure. With a horse as valuable and highly trained as yours you can't take any chances. Insist they have a lesson or two at the start, and go to watch those lessons / speak to the instructor afterwards, and have them up at the yard at the same time as you the first few times they go to make sure they are ok handling him etc. This doesn't need to be presented as a test, just as you helping them settle in, they'll probably feel better having someone there to answer questions about the horse as well.

Divasmum

Visit site
For a horse who is so established on the flat it may be worth putting an ad in the classifieds bit of the BD website. It costs £10 for members and £12 for non mmembers. It should attract someone with the right experience.

Baileysno1

Visit site
I think this is what I'll do, someone may see it and know another person who is looking, the rider need'nt be a world beater or anything, I'm certainly not, but next Spring I do hope to register him BD again and do a bit of course if the sharer was interested in competing that would be fine.