Sharers-How much do you pay?

sradusin

Visit site
Title says it all really.

I know there have been a few of these recently but I have just been quoted approx £170 per month for riding twice a week
crazy.gif
. This would include having to muck out on one day, groom, clean tack etc. (which doesn't bother me). Horse sounds a nice riding club type, but I just think this is pretty expensive.
I currently share a horse who is basically mine to do with as I please, ride as often as I want and pay £180 per month.

Does anyone have any opinions?

claireross

ccjack.co.uk
I don't have sharer's, but some people seem to charge an awfull lot, especially as usually it is helping them out as well. I suppose it depends how much they pay, but personally I think more than $20 a week seems alot for 1 or 2 days riding.

Tufty

Visit site
that is too much i think for two days riding and you having to muck out and clean the tack. what level of rider are you and what level of rider is the owner

10past6

Visit site
Yeah, i personaly think thats abit much if you just get to ride twice aweek. My ant used to loan a pony two to three days aweek, this included turning out in the morning all stable jobs, bringing in on a night and then riding. She paid i think it was £20 - £25 aweek, i thought that was a good price as it cover the womens stabling costs. But £170 and just getting to ride twice aweek, is this horse kept on a really expensive yard, then i can sort of see the reason for charging £170, but still alot of cash.

brightmount

Visit site
The going rate where I am is generally £10 per day. I charge a bit less for my horse who has a few restrictions on what she can do. I would offer a free share to anyone good enough to ride my youngster, but past loans have done more harm than good.

Baileysno1

Visit site
Wow £180 a month! I need to get some sharers!!!

Seriously though, I've been advertising for a sharer for Bailey, I said I'd be completely flexible about days / commitment as its hard working full time and doing 2 horses and I'd appreciate the help and the peace of mind that hes getting the attention and exercise, I did ask for a contribution but was thinking £15 for 2 days £20 for 3. so thats max £90 a month, I also said I'd muck out in the mornings so sharer would come up once a day. There would also be the possibility of lifts to the competitions I take Ryu to if they were interested. I worked out cost based on a riding lesson - I thought a lesson at a riding school would be around £15- £20 a week.

Anyway I've had some interest and a girls coming up at the weekend to meet Bails, shes v experienced but can't comit to a horse because shes working full time doing an OU degree and has just bought a new house, she also can't contribute at all financially but I figured I'd be mad to refuse any help. Another girl whos ridden mine before is going to do him a couple of days and pay £10 a week towards his shoes. I don't think I'd have gotten anyone who'd be willing to pay £180. Bails is a great little all rounder, great hack, well schooled etc and we have fab facilities at the yard (just to put it in context)

Tempi

Visit site
the sharer of my mare pays me £150 a month.

The girl who shares her is at boarding school (comes back at weekends) the mother takes my mare down for a lesson at the school for the girl once/twice a week. They have her as often/little as they want over school holidays. And whenever they want on weekends. They compete her BD, do BYRDs weekends/clinics with her, RC dressage training etc.

Including me letting them do what they want with her i also:

do everything with regards mucking out
i keep her clipped over the winter
trimmed/tidy
i keep her fit and well schooled (shes a elementary/medium level dressage horse)
i keep her back/tack checked and done regualry
her teeth done
i pay all vets bills
clean her tack before comps for them
they are (hopefully) downgrading her (which means i cant compete her anymore)
i pay insurance
yearly BD horse membership
shoes (every 5wks)

i basically do/pay for everything and they get a fit/ready to go competition horse.

sradusin

Visit site
I'd consider myself to be a fairly decent rider. The horse I currently ride has improved drastically to the point that people who haven't seen her in a while coment on how well she is going. I'm not sure what level the owner is though.

She is on pretty expensive livery but even so. It basically works out at over £20 each time I ride and if I have a lesson on top that bumps it up another £20/30! I might as well just have lessons.
The grooming, tack cleaning etc I enjoy as it's often the little things you miss when you don't have your own.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels it is a tad expensive!

sradusin

Visit site
Thats a similar sort of arrangement to what I currently have. Horse is basically on full livery and I can ride whenever I want. It has been like having my own but without any of the work, so I didn't mind paying £180 a month. But going from riding 5/6 times a week to twice for almost the same money just seems odd!
I appreciate the owner will want something worth while in return for me sharing their horse but £170 seems excessive!

gina2201

Visit site
I still think that is very expensive.
For just 2 riding days a week!

I paid £10 a week to be able to ride a horse, as many times as I wanted, typically 3-4 days a week, not a share agreement as such but I could do pretty much what I wanted him with her say so.

No chores either!

HeatherAda

Visit site
I pay my riding school £140 to share a horse... and as long as he isn't in lessons or booked on a hack he's mine to do as I please. Pretty good deal actually and i can do as much or as little as I want on the grooming / mucking out side - but I like to do as much as possible. Perfect arrangement for me at the mo because of work. I ride 3 mornings during the week, and hack out on saturdays and sundays, so I think I get value for money!

bikina

www.expeditionequus.com
I have just got a share - and have been asked to pay £35 per ride. I can ride for as long or as little as I like, but only once a week. Considering I'm in London and horses and shares are few and far between, its not a bad deal, though ideally I would like to pay far less!

Rupert2006

Visit site
I used to just pay for a set of shoes every six weeks when I shared a horse and he was mine to do with what i pleased - I didn't have to muck out but I did at the weekend to be helpful.

Parkranger

Visit site
mmm, I don't share but wanted to get a sharer. I know people who pay an extortionate amount to share a warmblood or similar - find it a bit mad myself!

I have a sharer on a saturday but she doesn't pay - just mucks out - that way I maintain full control! I suppose I'm lucky that I don't need to ask for it really.

She's a great rider aswell so I consider that she's doing me the favour!

Nels

Visit site
I have shared a couple of horses over the years and have paid £20-£25 a week as well as sometimes paying for half of shoes as well and doing some stable chores. The last two horses I have loaned the owners wanted me to concentrate on the riding and so basically I exercised the horses 5 times a week with no stable chores.... I personally think £170 a month is a bit steep for only 2 days riding... But sometimes it is worth the money to build a bond/have a horse you can treat as your own.

If you feel you are getting ripped off then I would personally look for another loan because the whole point is that it should be fun! Resentment from the start could be bad - it is essential to have a good relationship with the owner as well as the horse or loans never work out!

RLF

Visit site
I would love someone to share my horses, wouldn't charge a thing, just expect them to have decent riding/stable management capabilities.

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
wow all those seem high to me!

when i was loaning my old horse i was paying £80 month in summer and £100 per month in winter.... and the owner jad nothing to do with her... it was just on her private yard and id help her out with the horses in the evening and she put mine out in the morning

lexiedhb

Visit site
It depends on the reasons for sharing, if the owner wants a sharer as they are struggling to pay then they will surely ask for more, if its a time/care issue then they will be happy to share for the horses/their sake!! i had a girl reply to an ad I put up saying she had a horse she had berely ridden in three years that was totally unfit, and she wanted £200 a month...... I politely declined!!!

fruity

Visit site
I had a sharer she paid £25 a wk to ride 3 times,she didn't have to do any chores just come and ride.We are on a private estate with fantastic hacking.She learnt so much from my mare (she is a novice rider) that she ended up buying her own early this year,we're very good friends and are going to camp in August together so i also gained a friend from getting a sharer!

catembi

Visit site
I have 2 sharers for my elderly mare & no money changes hands - I'm just pleased for her to have some exercise. In return, they help me out if they feel like it, & buy the old horse various odds & ends.

Jellicle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
For 3 days riding and use for shows/lessons etc if they wish £100 PM which is half the costs as they are SHARING the horse even though I own it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ride 3 days a week and pay half the costs. I think this is fair. It comes to £135 a month.