sharers - how much would/do you pay?

ArabianGem78

Visit site
I've never had a sharer before so I have no idea how to pitch it.

If you are a sharer, how much do you pay and what do you get?

Or..... How much would you pay to share a 14.3 pba for unlimited riding? Hacking, schooling, local shows. Option to do endurance rides if you wanted? She's an advanced endurance horse. Absolute dream to do ANYTHING with. We're in the south west if that makes a difference?

JustKickOn

Visit site
I loan/share, get unlimited riding (everyday), am the only person to ride the horse, use of a private arena, go to shows, fun rides, outings and the such. But I also have to muck out everyday, poo pick every few days and a few other chores too.

I pay £60 every six weeks for shoes, £48 every four weeks for the arena, cover costs of her feed, physio visits, lessons (£15 every fortnight), any shampoo/lotions and potions and that sort of thing and saddle fitter costs (have also just bought a saddle for her), so a fair bit. Also bought buckets, lead ropes, a broom, all sorts! It is almost like having my own, but her owner still helps to care for her and pays insurance and vet bills!

In the Midlands if that helps?

Eta- I know a lot of people work out the costs for a sharer by working out their weekly costs on average, and then divide it by the days, so how every many days the person does, that's what they pay. Ie. £70 pw average, 3 days share = £30 pw.

Battytwoll

Visit site
I have two on share, one is £15 p/w and I can have unlimited riding but bizarrely, they don't really want me helping out on the husbandry/stable management side, the other share is "every day you ride, you muck out and groom" and that share is a nominal amount of £5 per week.

madmav

Visit site
I pay an exact percentage of horse's full livery and also of shoes for the days I ride. Owner covers all vet, tack etc costs.
If competing, I would expect to cover all costs of that.
In the past, I have shared where I have paid much less.
I do know of people who pay someone to ride their horses.
It depends so much on situation, what is on offer and, more importantly, who is around to do the share.

bexcy-bee

Visit site
I have a 15.2 KWPN on share, unlimited riding, I can literally do what I want, when I want with her, hacking, schooling, jumping, hunting, competing, I join their daughter sometimes to compete or my mum takes me with their trailer. She's out 24/7, and likely to stay that way (fingers crossed!) so only poo picking, which I don't do as regularly as I should really, oops. She's a fab mare, but is mareish when in season! She lives at the owners house, so I never have to do early mornings, or set feeds, and because of my job I can do whatever days and times I am able to. I pay £100pcm, and were in Berkshire :)

Bexcy-bee x

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Thanks all. I was thinking of somewhere around the £100 pcm mark (just about covers the livery).

Just got to find the right person now....!

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Thanks all. I was thinking of somewhere around the £100 pcm mark (just about covers the livery).

Just got to find the right person now....!

biggingerpony

Visit site
If I was looking to become a sharer I wouldn't be willing to contribute X amount a week as it would invalidate my insurance.

However I would be willing to pay for shoes/trim and feed and other things directly. As well as petrol costs etc for being transported to shows. Just bear that in mind if they say they have insurance!

Charmel

Visit site
I own 8 horses and 3 are shared /part loaned out I charge £100 per month plus they pay for all competition fees. Riding 3-4 days a week no stable duties unless they want to help out.... Two horses and one pony are are all fit healthy well schooled sane and safe. One is mainly a happy hacker with a few local unaffiliated shows and the other two jumping BSJA and showing at county level. The cost of £100 is constant regardless how much it costs me. I do provide the transport to most shows as going anyway with my daughters.

hnmisty

Visit site
I paid £95 for 2 days a week on a rarely used riding school pony. I had to muck out if he was in (which he wasn't for 95% of the time I had him as they kept taking more liveries so he lost his stable and had to live out). Never had to pay extra for lost shoes etc.

ETA: £95 a month, that is!

Biska

Visit site
I am trying out a share horse right now. I wanted part-time but there is no one else to share with so I have been asked if I want full time. he stays his at owner's yard which suits me. This is a very nice well schooled horse and I have been asked for £10 a day to include everything (so £300 a month). No extra for back, dentist, vet, shoes or insurance. I am not obliged to do anything other than turn up, groom him, tack up and ride so he is "full livery" in effect. I think this is reasonable for such a nice horse who is exclusively for my use. It seems more than others are paying much less, but I am happy that I am getting a fair deal. I looked at several other horses locally and didn't enjoy them nearly as much. One owner wanted £20-25 every time I rode so 2 days a week would cost £200 a month.

JustKickOn

Visit site
If I was looking to become a sharer I wouldn't be willing to contribute X amount a week as it would invalidate my insurance.

However I would be willing to pay for shoes/trim and feed and other things directly. As well as petrol costs etc for being transported to shows. Just bear that in mind if they say they have insurance!

It depends on your insurance. BHS gold is void if there is any kind of financial contribution, be that £5 for petrol or 50% of shoeing costs.

I think it's NFU mutual and Petplan who do insurance for people that share and loanhich isn't invalidated by financial contributions.

kc100

Visit site
It depends on the chores involved - less if you want them to muck out, bring in/turn out, feed etc, maybe a little more if they are on full livery. Also factor in facilities - if you dont have any school or no floodlights then you wont attract people that work full time (9-5 sort of jobs) as they want to ride in the evenings and through winter you have the dark to contend with.

I'm a sharer, have unlimited riding on a WB dressage horse with good facilities at the yard (outdoor floodlit school) and can compete with her as well. I pay £150pcm and half her shoes every 6 weeks - but all vets bills, physio, tack, equipment etc is covered by her owner. If I think she needs something new then her owner will buy it (within reason obviously).

If you have facilities and chores are not too much (i.e. not mucking out - I dont mind bringing in/turnout, feeding etc but mucking out is a fairly big task especially after work in the evening), then £100pcm would be fine. But if you dont have lights or a school and require a lot of chores then £100 might be a bit much.