Sharers what do you do/enjoy?

pistolpete

Visit site
I’m hopeful I’ve found a share pony to ride as mine is lame and I don’t want another yet. Hopefully would have him two or three days a week. 19 year old been there done it type. What do you do with your shares and what chores if any do you do? Any hints and tips about sharing please? Thanks.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I’m not a sharer but I have one. Sharer voluntarily poo picks for me three times a week but other than that there no chores and I don’t expect her to do anything else. Activity wise we go on fun rides, clinics, RC day camp, I take her to stressage as it’s not my thing but she enjoys it, the gallops and she has been having lessons with next door yards instructor. We either hack together or she goes out alone.

scruffyponies

Visit site
My sharers include: 3yo child whose mum takes out the pony for her to fuss, brush and be led about on.
Teenage friends who gallop about lots, no intention of doing more.
Family with pre-teen children, mostly hacking with the odd fun ride or children's hunt.
Older teen with more experience and a very patient mum - she takes her pony off to PC, XC, dressage, and is has her first ODE lined up.

No chores, but they help me keep an eye on them, muck in with repairs to fences etc, and generally take shared responsibility for them.
Depends on the owner (I'm quite laid back) as to what they're comfortable with you doing, but IMO a good sharer acts like an owner, thinking about the horse's welfare and improvement first and foremost. Soundness permitting, the more you do with them the better.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
When I did it I mucked out or poo picked if he had been out, did feeds for evening and morning, haynets for evening (if out he would have hay in field) then sometimes rode. Unfortunately I didn't get to do much riding but I would have loved to have hacked. Hacking was my favourite with all my horses :)

Durhamchance

Visit site
I'm a sharer

I don't do set days in the conventional way a sharer would. Instead I'm one of a team of 5 that look after 4 horses. We're on a DIY private yard so we do everything from mucking out to paddock maintenance so I'm at the yard at least 5 days out of 7. I pay a set amount each month and am welcome to ride 'my horse' as often as I like.
His owner encourages us to have lessons, go to local club shows, take part in clinics etc.
I always ask permission before I do anything, I don't trim/pull/cut anything without his owner present. I wouldn't change any of his tack or feed him anything new without discussing it first. I'm his 'auntie', not his 'mum'.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I had a sharer for one of my 2 ponies. I asked for no financial contribution and a minimum of 2 days with as many days as she wanted.
On her days she had to fill the water buckets in the field (there was a water container close by), poo pick the field (it was done daily so easy to do), feed the ponies (they were made up so just a case of adding water and putting them in field).
In return she got to do what she wanted with the ridden pony - hack (alone or in company), school (big school with jumps available), groundwork/lunge.

Odyssey

Visit site
When I was a sharer I mucked out etc, and brought in in winter, and poo picked in summer. I also paid a contribution. I'm just a happy hacker and rode hacking horses, not horses that also competed. I was always very aware of the responsibility of looking after and riding someone elses precious horse, and did my utmost to keep them comfortable, safe and healthy. I was lucky enough to be involved with some lovely horses, that I was very grateful to be entrusted with. How I miss those days.

Lexi_

Visit site
I did M’s jobs on my days, so that was muck out, waters, hay, feed and a quick field poo pick in winter, then in summer just poo picking, checking field water and checking the stable in case he’d been in for a snooze during the hot part of the day. One turn out or bring in was covered by someone else, and I did the other.

As for riding, pretty much whatever I wanted within reason - hacking either off site or mostly around the farm ride on site, schooling or jumping in the arena. His owner has another horse, R, but no transport, but occasionally we’d split the cost of a hired box and go to the beach, gallops, bigger farm rides etc.

Alas he was sold last year so I just go up one day a week now to do R’s jobs (same routine as above) and have some pony cuddles. I can lunge, do in hand work etc if I want to but I don’t ride him as I’m too fat and feel too big on him.

You should all have a friend like me, I love poo picking ?

View

Visit site
When I had a share, on my days I did evening chores and made up feeds and nets for next day. Mucked out and poo picked. Tack cleaned once in week.

hacked if enough light. Poulticed when needed, took him out to hand graze.

respected him and looked at the whole picture, offered suggestions when asked.

Stayed out of yard gossip and cliques - I was there to spend time with a nice natured horse.

Skib

sites.google.com
I do nothing. Both my shares have been on full livery. I groom and tack up. I know how to take off and put on their rugs.

Most important thing about sharing is to find out everything you can about the horse - its age, health and capabilities. My current share is a hack and doesnt do lateral work. But before hacking any horse, I like to ride them in the school. And before hacking solo, I would rather go out in company. All this takes time. It isnt instant.

Next important thing is to get to know the horse itself. My lovely old share would nap and bite but I knew her for years and knew how to deal with that. Present share seems to have no faults at all. She loved me before Covid came, (YM told me) but now she doesnt seem to know who I am. I fear the reason may be that when we first met I was old and timorous and went a very short way. Now we wander for miles and we canter so I am a bog standard sharer unworthy of her special attention. But I have only been back two months so there is time.
If you are sharing an old horse - one needs to understand the limits. Like not doing canters unless the horse was up to it. Doing what suited the old horse on that day.

The third important thing is to be trusted by the owner. Which very luckilly I always have been. I have never been interrogated or criticised even when I know I have made mistakes. (I dont mean I am horrid to the horse, just that my ridng is not 100% perfect 100% of a hack.)

And the benefit is mutual. I pay the money, the horse gets exercised and I get my ride. The business side of it works out.

How I miss those days.

Your info is private Odyssey. I assume there is good reason why you cant resume? And I am so sorry. It was pretty awful for me getting back in the saddle after lock down. But young yard staff were very patient and I am having the rides that you miss.