sharing a field help!

Miss_Dior

Visit site
My horse shares a field with 3 other horses. All of the horses don't seem to get on with the fencing so after a month of two of constantly having to mend it I invested in an electric fence. I keep finding it unclipped and today it was turned off and my fence had been dragged across by another horse (mine was in last night) tape was snapped and the poles bent :( . I don't want to fall out with the other people I share with, I already pay for all the hay but they all moan about being skint when ever I mention it but Im getting fed up.
Any advice?

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
Is this on a livery yard or are you renting a field, if at livery you should speak to the YO about them damaging your property, they are effectively allowing it to be damaged by leaving it off and are putting their own horses at risk as well as yours, as a YO I would be having words with them to get things sorted out before a horse is seriously hurt.

On the matter of hay why on earth are you feeding their horses, if they are skint that is not your problem no wonder you are fed up as we get further into the winter feeding 3 horses that are not yours will be very expensive, you may not want to fall out with them but they are taking the p*** and it will get worse, if the YO will not act to sort out this and the fencing issues then look for somewhere else to go before you are skint yourself from either feeding their horses or paying a huge vets bill because of their negligence.

If you are just renting the field between you and are not on a yard then whoever pays the rent/ holds the contract is in control, if that is you give them notice and find better people to share with.

Miss_Dior

Visit site
Thank you be positive :)! its a yard, I put hay down for my horse and the other horses eat it too (obviously you can't control) but because my horse is bottom of pecking order I put 4 piles out to stop fighting! will have a word with yard owner tomorrow! xx