Sharing a horse and pregnant

camilla a

New User
Visit site
Hiya!
I am currently sharing a very nice mare that I adore. I just found out I am pregnant. Experience on what to do when you’re sharing? Would you continue to pay? I treat her like my own and no one else rides her besides me. I’d hate to lose her in a year or so...but I wouldn’t want her to be kept in the field either.
Very confused, any advice would help thank you :)

Lintel

Visit site
Congratulations!!

Do you intend to not ride during pregnancy?
I think it's something you would need to discuss with the owner and yourself in order to achieve the best outcome for everyone.

FairWeather

Visit site
You need to think about if you wish to ride whilst pregnant. Due to health reasons I was told not too. However I own the horse and have found a lovely loaner who will continue after my daughter is here.

Sit down and discuss it with the owner over a cup of tea.

Congratulations btw

Bambelina

Visit site
Congratulations!!
I am currently in 2nd trimester of pregnancy, and have decided not to ride throughout. Would the horse have plenty of access to turnout? Luckily mine does, but as I own her I can also allow other people to ride her as and when, to keep her ticking over. But having unlimited turnout has been a lifesaver, it means if she’s not ridden for 3 weeks she’s been perfectly happy.
Before I got her I was loaning a horse. If I’d have still been doing so, I would’ve continued the loan I think, as I really liked the horse, although obviously wouldn’t have ridden. I suppose it depends on the share scenario. Do you pay a set amount and have to do yard duties in the days you go up? Only asking as you might find there’s a couple of things you struggle with (pushing heavy barrows etc), so may require the yard to provide extra services...as others have suggested defo talk it through with the owner and try comes to an arrangement, sounds like you really like the horse and therefore I assume get on with the owner reasonably well?!

taraj

Visit site
Congratulations. My lovely sharer rode my boy up until a week before she gave birth, mainly steady hacks. She has been riding him for a couple of years so, although he is cheeky, she knows him pretty well. I left it up to her to tell me when she felt it was too much but she said it helped her relax. She was poo picking up until the end, which I told her not to do! I still ride him a couple of times a week to keep him ticking over and she knows he will be here ready whenever she is, they have such a good relationship, so a little differant than your situation.

FairWeather

Visit site
Every pregnancy is different and of course it also depends on the horse and your own health. I've had friends ride the day before they went into labour. There are worst things then a bit of time off! My 6 year old had a few months off for covid with my trainer riding him once a week just to keep his brain in gear. Its done him the world of good and he's come back stronger then ever!

I rode to about 8 weeks but I had intermittent bleeding and bloating so the saddle was really uncomfortable for me.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Congratulations! I am 25 weeks pregnant and also shared. I did give up, I didn't feel confident riding him and was struggling with morning sickness bad so was struggling just to do my jobs, I also couldn't afford to pay as my maternity pay is not great. I had a long chat with the owner and I stopped the share, although I have seen him a few times since as I do miss him. She has another sharer now so I am not sure what the future holds for me in terms of sharing again at a later date, but I also didn't expect her to wait around for me (which I made clear)

Lacuna

Visit site
Congratulations

It very much depends on your pregnancy as everyone is obs different. I had a very small bump when pregnant but ended my share after two months or so due to financial reasons. However I kept riding my friend s hunter up to about 5.5/6 months until it became too uncomfortable. She really looked after me and we pottered very happily.