Sharing a horse

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Hi, so I have made the decision to share my horse as she needs work and I'm unable to ride due to health.
It will be yard duties only, no money contribution and I've found a contract.

What questions/what to do with potential sharers?

Thanks - first time sharing and finding it a bit overwhelming.

Shay

Visit site
You want to be sure you you and the sharer fit well together (its a bit like an arranged marriage in some ways!) and also that the horse and the sharer fit well. That their level, standard and approach to riding suits you. Be very clear about how you want things done on the yard and what work you want - or more importantly don't want - the horse to do. If you have a regular instructor you might want to insist that they have a lesson with them.

Do think about the financial contribution aspect - folk are more likely to take this seriously and actually come up and do what is needed if they are paying for it. Free shares can attract the wrong attitude. Not always of course - but it does happen.

Cross posted with Michen. Yes rider insurance but if you do not already have third party cover that is an absolute must.

redapple

Visit site
Agree with the above but to add a perspective from someone who currently shares and is looking for another share at the moment I think what you put in the ad will usually get you most the way to having a suitable sharer. Be really clear about what the horse is like and what you are expecting. If they are coming out the field and you want only ground work for a while state that. It's frustrating to see a great ad, go visit and realise that the ad was basically written about the horse when it was five years younger and despite beautiful jumping pictures the horse now has arthritis and can only hack....! If you're clear about what you're after, what the horse can do and what it can't you're much more likely to avoid getting a bad partnership.

Also there are good sharers out there...! I think we get a bad name sometimes but (and I'm definitely bias here) I always show up, pay on time, have never done anything the owner didn't want (I hear some owners have sharers who let other people ride so make it clear if you just want sharer to ride) and treat pony with the same care if not more than I would my own. So good luck finding the perfect sharer for you, they'll be out there!

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Rider insurance
An excellent point and will ensure any sharer has this. Thank you.

You want to be sure you you and the sharer fit well together (its a bit like an arranged marriage in some ways!) and also that the horse and the sharer fit well. That their level, standard and approach to riding suits you. Be very clear about how you want things done on the yard and what work you want - or more importantly don't want - the horse to do. If you have a regular instructor you might want to insist that they have a lesson with them.

Do think about the financial contribution aspect - folk are more likely to take this seriously and actually come up and do what is needed if they are paying for it. Free shares can attract the wrong attitude. Not always of course - but it does happen.

Cross posted with Michen. Yes rider insurance but if you do not already have third party cover that is an absolute must.
Thank you as there are lots of excellent points here to consider and the financial aspect = attitude is something I hadn't thought of.

Agree with the above but to add a perspective from someone who currently shares and is looking for another share at the moment I think what you put in the ad will usually get you most the way to having a suitable sharer. Be really clear about what the horse is like and what you are expecting. If they are coming out the field and you want only ground work for a while state that. It's frustrating to see a great ad, go visit and realise that the ad was basically written about the horse when it was five years younger and despite beautiful jumping pictures the horse now has arthritis and can only hack....! If you're clear about what you're after, what the horse can do and what it can't you're much more likely to avoid getting a bad partnership.

Also there are good sharers out there...! I think we get a bad name sometimes but (and I'm definitely bias here) I always show up, pay on time, have never done anything the owner didn't want (I hear some owners have sharers who let other people ride so make it clear if you just want sharer to ride) and treat pony with the same care if not more than I would my own. So good luck finding the perfect sharer for you, they'll be out there!
Thank you as the sharer point of view is very valid as I want the right sharer so my horse is happy. Thankfully although pony is late teens she is still fully active so right sharer will be able to do anything I have done in the past with her and she's been kept ticking over. I will definitely think about any serious dos and don'ts that I have.

Appreciate any and all advice as it is a massive curveball for me after being the only carer for my horse for 10+ years but I'll be focusing on my other pony as and when I can. So glad I'm not as OCD as I once was with them.

Cazolime

Visit site
I am also a sharer, for almost 3 years now! I have seen other shares end badly so my one bit of advice would be make sure they know what's expected of them. Fortunately, the owner of my share is very hands off when i'm there, she respects that I will only do as much as the horse is capable off and if she's having a bad day with her stiffness then i'll take it steady etc.

My friend shared and the owner blew hot and cold all the time, she'd say she didn't want to interfere but then show up at the yard as we'd get back from a ride, or expect a detailed text after every ride detailing what had happened almost minute by minute! As long as you're consistently hands off or hands on, at least they'll know what to expect!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Communication is key. Tell the sharer what you want, be very clear. I have the most fabulous sharer, but there are always going to be niggles or stuff that I forgot to mention eg use of supplements, flymask, things that I thought were obvious. Writing up a list is handy as long as it isn't massive and over-prescriptive.

I'm hands off because I can be, my sharer is very experienced and knowledgable.

HashRouge

Visit site
Communication is key. Tell the sharer what you want, be very clear. I have the most fabulous sharer, but there are always going to be niggles or stuff that I forgot to mention eg use of supplements, flymask, things that I thought were obvious. Writing up a list is handy as long as it isn't massive and over-prescriptive.

I'm hands off because I can be, my sharer is very experienced and knowledgable.
I would agree with this. If there is anything that you are OCD about or like doing in a specific way, make sure you tell your sharer, don't expect them to be psychic.

I love sharing and am lucky that my owner is pretty laid back about how I do things. But there is nothing worse than doing something "wrong" because you didn't know what the "right" way (in the owner's view) was!