Sharing, buying, loaning - possible nervous breakdown

fruit_fly

Visit site
Hi, this is my first post on here but I could do with some wise advice from strangers!

I've ridden on and off since I was about 8, but never had the luxury of my own horse as a child or the means to buy my own, until now......

i've been sharing and having decent lessons for a couple of years since coming back to regular riding, and was planning to buy next year as a 35th birthday present to myself :)

unfortunately my share pony has been diagnosed with some major problems, putting an abrupt end to riding for the rest of the year although I'm so fond of him now I can't seem to stop going up the yard and helping out. But a potential full loan came up, and then I started looking around, and am all in a dilemma.

Would it be mad to take on my first full time horse as a loan at the beginning of the cold season? I work full time so it's a big deal that requires some routine or part livery. really as I'm not 20 now I imagined I'd find an 8-10 year old that I could buy and spend at least the next ten years with, a forever horse, not one i'd have to give back, although I know to expect the unexpected!

Thanks for any advice, particularly from people who got their first gg later in life x

Jola

Visit site
Hi
I got my first one at 32. Completely inexperienced but the YM (where I had had 10 lessons or so!) thought it would be ok. Looking back on it I was mad coz I didn't know anything about horses - at that time the phase you don't know what you don't know was apt! Fast forward 3 years I have have another one on full loan who is a complete mental case and took me right back to square one! However I ride nearly every day and we are getting there. I also work full time as well as a very busy life but you just get on with it. Its weird but it just becomes part of your routine. Winter is hard but also you tend to have less time to ride due to the darkness so the work replaces it a bit. I would say owning for me feels like a lot more responsibility which is why I loan. My loaner has been great and we wrote everything down so we both know what to expect.
The biggest bit of advice I can give is to find something you click with. My first one, I didn't click with at all and it felt like a chore riding. This one is brilliant fun and we have a fab bond!

hnmisty

Visit site
I got my first neddy at the age of 11, but whilst I was at school, we kept them at home. My old lady stayed living at home, with me coming back all the time to see her, until she died in 2011 at the age of 35. After that, I got a pony on loan for 2 days a week. It worked really well for me for about 10 months (he was a riding school pony, but not a typical one- very forward going and a bit of a bum head at times. I never had to pay extra for anything). Then I decided that I wanted my own again.

So, at 25, I've just bought my first horse (other two were ponies :p) who I have on livery in Sheffield, where I now live. I pay someone £2/day to feed and turn him out in the morning (he's on 24/7 turnout now, so it's just feeding him). There are 8 of us in our block, and I'm the only one who doesn't have back-up. The others either have a parent/s or partner to help them if they are busy with work etc.

Yes, winter is harder than summer... but there's no reason not to get one now. And no reason that you couldn't look for
one to buy, as long as you can give the owner of the horse on loan enough notice (whatever is stipulated in your contract). With a loan, just make sure you get a decent contract (BHS website has an example one, I think) stipulating who will pay for what, and who would be responsible for vets bills etc if, say, you had an accident out riding and he needed the vet.

Good luck :)

Antw23uk

Visit site
I got back into riding two years ago after a 20 something year break. I started helping at a yard and riding occasionally and things seemed to fall back into place rather quickly. I was going to take on the ownership of an old lad I had been helping with but sadly he was pts in October due to cancer.

I then took on a loan with view to buy horse the week before Xmas. Everyone said i was mad at that time of the year but I soldiered on and reckoned that if i could cope with a horse and a full time job in the winter then i could definatley cope for the rest of the year :p
The loan didnt go well at all, the mare was unhinged and mental so was sent back to her owner a few months later who was actually missing her and was going to tell me she wasnt going through with the view to buy bit ... Lucky me.

After her I looked at a horse that sadly failed his vetting and within the week of that happening I found out about a big bay thoroughbred for sale. I went and viewed him, brougth him and keep him at the same yard he was moved to for selling. That was four months ago and although I'm still asking questions I see myself as a knowledgable horse owner and a good rider.
I think as long as you find the right yard and the right horse and not be afraid to ask if you are unsure then I say go for it.

Personally to keep my horse on the yard he is at I need assisted livery so he is fed and turned out for me in the mornings because I just couldnt do that and get to work. I've also taken on a sharer who is just awesome with him. She doesnt pay anything towards the share, she cant afford it but she is perfect for Gizmo and money was never the reason I wanted a sharer anyway. That one night a week when i go straight home is a real relationship saver, lol :eek: