Sharing Considerations

Wishfilly

Visit site
Well I've been to view and thought it went quite well. I'm feeling a bit apprehensive but I think probably because it's new to me and feels like a big step from only riding in lessons!

That said it sounds like I wouldn't ever be on my own at the yard and one of the people there does lessons if I wanted them. The horse was really lovely, responsive when asked, and forward but seemed to have good brakes. It sounds like the sort that will give more when asked but otherwise look after a novice rider. I was really honest about not wanting reactive/spooky as this just gets 'the fear' into me quite quickly and I want something that's going to build my confidence. Owner seemed happy to go ahead based on watching me ride and from me explaining my past and recent experience, so would be trusting they know their horse fits what I described in terms of confidence building. They are looking for two sharers and the other person I think is also a novice and the one they had before was a younger teen, so it feels like probably they are quite chilled and so is the horse.

Am going to have a think about it and chat to my instructor tomorrow but it feels worth doing a trial and taking things from there. How exciting! And also terrifying at the same time (is that normal?!)

This sounds really promising! Definitely chat to your instructor, but if the set up suits you, then do a trial and take things from there. In general, notice on a share is usually only one month max, so if you ever did feel like it wasn't working, you could always stop the share. But it could be a really good experience for you?

Evie91

Visit site
Pet plan equine have a rider policy. I share a horse and have this- cover public liability and vets fees at the scene (owners policy should cover from there on), covers tack and various others bits but I’d wanted it for the public liability and emergency vet fees. May be worth a look.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
This sounds really promising! Definitely chat to your instructor, but if the set up suits you, then do a trial and take things from there. In general, notice on a share is usually only one month max, so if you ever did feel like it wasn't working, you could always stop the share. But it could be a really good experience for you?

Yes I think it would be good experience and really a dream come true (it was the subject of many an argument with my parents when I was growing up!). Hoping the owner doesn't change their mind and go with someone else, but if I miss out on this one I'll feel more confident viewing again in the future. I like that they want things taken slowly which will benefit me and the horse (in the school only to begin with before attempting hacking, sticking with walk/trot work to get confidence up).

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
For you, at this moment, or whenever you want to start looking, the very best bet would be to find some one with two horses who needs a rider to accompany them to get both exercised. You might find one of these when the hunters are first brought up and need lots of walking exercise. Riding out with an owner will give you a good insight into the horse/s and hopefully lead onto you feeling confident and happy on your own. I echo getting insurance, BHS Gold does cover you to ride other peoples horses, or WHW is a little cheaper.

This is what I have a sharer for. They only pay a minimal amount towards shoes and help me with chores. They ride my oldie and I ride the younger one. Sometimes I’ve swapped and let them ride the younger one when I know he’s in good behaviour mode. It suits me because they are there when I am so I don’t have to worry about what is happening when I’m not there. Over the last couple of years I’ve had two great sharers and a couple who were ok but not really committed. It doesn’t matter if they’re lacking some experience because I’m there to oversee and train them how I like things done. What matters to me is that they’re kind to my horses, reliable and willing to learn.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Yes I think it would be good experience and really a dream come true (it was the subject of many an argument with my parents when I was growing up!). Hoping the owner doesn't change their mind and go with someone else, but if I miss out on this one I'll feel more confident viewing again in the future. I like that they want things taken slowly which will benefit me and the horse (in the school only to begin with before attempting hacking, sticking with walk/trot work to get confidence up).

That sounds really sensible, although if hacking is important to you I'd ask to see their hacking and ideally ride out with them before committing (unless you know the area really well, and know the hacking is good). If this one does fall through, there will be other shares out there, so you just have to keep looking and be patient! The right opportunity will be out there!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
As well as sharing, another option can be getting a part-loan through a riding school. Some of these are a bit of a con (charging lots of money for not very much riding), but some are reasonable value and you get the benefit of having supportive staff around to help you with the stable management side of things, and often a discount on lessons.

I'm glad you have mentioned this because I think someone has responded to my ad with a share which will be something along these lines. They haven't initially said that but from a bit of searching that does seem to the set up. What sort of thing would you be looking at to evaluate whether it's a good 'deal'?

Linked to that I'm wondering about multiple sharer set ups and what to look out for here. I can understand if a sharer is limited in what days they can do so an owner might take on a second but I have come across people searching for multiple sharers at the same time which I don't quite understand - i.e. if one sharer is able to do the desired number of days, why would it be beneficial to take on two sharers?

I'm also wondering about the word 'green' as that has come up a couple of times now. In general I'm thinking me + 'green' is not likely to be a good match for a first share but more than one person now has approached me where 'green' is a feature in some way (e.g. green at schooling but otherwise sounding suitable and not a youngster, or green at jumping which I don't mind about because I'm not bothered if I can't jump). Another sounded lovely but was 5/6 years old and I just thought even with a good temperament I'm not sure I'd be the right rider for a horse early in its ridden life.

Last edited:

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Be warned if you ou out an ad on gumtree I have had some very suspect/hilarious responses.
Someone emailed to ask if they could clean my dirty boots.
Someone emailed to say they had a powerful stallion I could ride (that was all the info given). Something told me there wasn't an actual horse ?.

Blimey! I'll stick with Facebook for now and see how that goes!

Wishfilly

Visit site
I'm glad you have mentioned this because I think someone has responded to my ad with a share which will be something along these lines. They haven't initially said that but from a bit of searching that does seem to the set up. What sort of thing would you be looking at to evaluate whether it's a good 'deal'?

If they aren't being upfront about it, then I would be wary.

Basically, for these set ups you just need to decide if it would be good value for money for you. Some places charge what to me seems like a lot, when you're very limited on when/how you can ride. E.g. they may say you can ride 3 days a week, but you may limited to only jumping on one day, or you may find that the horse is to be used in lessons on "your" day, so you can't go out hacking for several hours. Even if there aren't official limitations in place, it may be difficult to use the school. However, equally, due to coronavirus, there are riding schools/former riding schools who have started doing this and it can be a good way to get started. In general, I would expect more "rules" in place than with a private owner.

It's also important to check the horse/pony is happy to hack out alone if that's something you want to do, as they may be used to only going out in a group.

If you like the sound of the horse, then I'd go and view, but ask LOTS of questions about what restrictions are in place and exactly what you'd be allowed to do on your days.

I'm also wondering about the word 'green' as that has come up a couple of times now. In general I'm thinking me + 'green' is not likely to be a good match for a first share but more than one person now has approached me where 'green' is a feature in some way (e.g. green at schooling but otherwise sounding suitable and not a youngster, or green at jumping which I don't mind about because I'm not bothered if I can't jump). Another sounded lovely but was 5/6 years old and I just thought even with a good temperament I'm not sure I'd be the right rider for a horse early in its ridden life.

In general, I'm sceptical about people who want sharers for horses they describe as green. I might just be cynical, but I think often they are hoping someone will school/bring on the horse for them- which really, IMO, they should be paying a professional for. If it's just something that's safe to hack but not experienced in the school, that's a bit different and if you mainly want to hack, then it may be worth going to view!

I wouldn't write a 6yo off because of age, necessarily. 6yos can vary a lot, and it could have been in steady work for two years at least. However, equally, if you don't feel confident, or you feel anxious because of the age, then it probably wouldn't be the right set up for you.

It's worth bearing in mind that unless you are very lucky, there will always be compromises to be made when finding a share horse!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Thank you, that's really helpful. I'm not clear what the arrangement is for the one who has contacted me but I'll find out a bit more about what they would be looking for and offering. I don't think they are being upfront about it (unless I have completely misunderstood) and I'm not sure what the gain in that would be - especially as you say there could be benefits for someone like me who is starting out.

I think I'd previously understood 'green' to be a more general thing rather than that a horse can be green in some areas but not others. That makes a bit more sense now as I was getting confused by suitable for novice but green in x, y, or z.

I suppose I am wary of horses at the younger end of the scale because I know I'm not the bravest of riders, and perhaps a younger horse needs a rider who is confident to help them develop. I won't add the detail here but there were other factors that meant I didn't think it would work for this particular horse, it was just that the age was something I noticed and wanted to query.

I agree around compromises, especially as a novice rider I realise my choices are more limited so kind of prepared to be waiting a while. I'm not sure if the riding school I'm at is taking on helpers at the moment, in part due to Covid, but I thought about looking in to doing that again for a while or maybe volunteering with a charity. I am probably being a bit impatient too because I have just been enjoying getting back in to riding so much and it's exciting to be in a position time/money wise to be able to start looking!

Wishfilly

Visit site
Thank you, that's really helpful. I'm not clear what the arrangement is for the one who has contacted me but I'll find out a bit more about what they would be looking for and offering. I don't think they are being upfront about it (unless I have completely misunderstood) and I'm not sure what the gain in that would be - especially as you say there could be benefits for someone like me who is starting out.

I think I'd previously understood 'green' to be a more general thing rather than that a horse can be green in some areas but not others. That makes a bit more sense now as I was getting confused by suitable for novice but green in x, y, or z.

I suppose I am wary of horses at the younger end of the scale because I know I'm not the bravest of riders, and perhaps a younger horse needs a rider who is confident to help them develop. I won't add the detail here but there were other factors that meant I didn't think it would work for this particular horse, it was just that the age was something I noticed and wanted to query.

I agree around compromises, especially as a novice rider I realise my choices are more limited so kind of prepared to be waiting a while. I'm not sure if the riding school I'm at is taking on helpers at the moment, in part due to Covid, but I thought about looking in to doing that again for a while or maybe volunteering with a charity. I am probably being a bit impatient too because I have just been enjoying getting back in to riding so much and it's exciting to be in a position time/money wise to be able to start looking!

I'd ask the people with the first arrangement for some more details. It may be they are new to doing part-loans/shares due to covid, and that's why they haven't explained things clearly. But if you feel they are trying to hide something at any stage, I wouldn't proceed!

Green is used in lots of different ways, but I don't think it's that unusual for someone to describe something as "green in the school" etc. The problem for me is it's a bit vague. It could mean something completely unbalanced and can't pick up the correct canter lead, something that's never really been in a school, or something that isn't schooled much but can do all the basics. It could also be code for spooky/difficult in the school, so I would possibly ask more questions if you're interested in schooling.

I don't think every young horse needs a confident rider- yes when they have first been backed/early in their education, but not necessarily by 6. I have known 6yos I would happily put a novice on and know they wouldn't be likely to get into trouble. But if it makes you feel anxious then it's probably not the right horse for you, and that's fine!

It is really tricky at the moment. I would speak to your riding school- the worst they can say is no! I'd also continue looking for a share and visiting everything you feel is a possible- some people don't always explain themselves well in writing/over the phone and it is sometimes easier to just go and see the horse and meet the owner!

Firefly9410

Visit site
People who are looking for two sharing at once is generally because the owner does not want to ride and does not want to full loan their horse. It could be due to work commitments childcare issues or a yard with limited turnout and a horse needing more exercise than the owner can give. People full loaning usually want to move the horse to a yard of their choice. Which can be a problem for the owner if the loan does not work out and their horse is returned but there are no spaces at their preferred yard so they end up having to go elsewhere. With sharing the horse stays where it is. The owner can keep a closer eye on things this way too.

CobletOfFire

New User
Visit site
I think you've had some great advice here and how exciting for you!
The only thing I would add is that I had far more luck putting a detailed WANTED advert out with pictures of me riding in the local FB groups than I did just looking out for adverts of owners advertising for a sharer.
My reason for not wanting to put an advert out was that I didn't want to sift through the numptys - the amazing owner who contacted me after I put my wanted ad out had not put an advert up for exactly the same reason.
Also it's worth some FB stalking if you see an advert you like... I quite often see the same horse being advertised for share a few times a year at least and always advertised as a safe hack alone and in groups. I know for a fact it wasn't (reared with me several times - small rears but enough that I did not want to hack it) so I dread to think who else has tried to hack it alone completely unaware.
Maybe not so relevant if all goes well with this horse though, good luck. Let us know how you get on!

Courbette

Visit site

Linked to that I'm wondering about multiple sharer set ups and what to look out for here. I can understand if a sharer is limited in what days they can do so an owner might take on a second but I have come across people searching for multiple sharers at the same time which I don't quite understand - i.e. if one sharer is able to do the desired number of days, why would it be beneficial to take on two sharers?

As said two sharers is usually because the owner doesn't ride at all or may have preferred a full loan but hadn't been able to find a loaner. I'm always a bit wary about this as you don't know who the other person is or what they are doing with the horse and it can get complicated when fun outings like trips and shows come up. A one owner, two horse set-up is probably the ideal share but that said you may get on with the other sharer and make good friend. I shared a horse for 18 months and saw the other sharer twice.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I think you've had some great advice here and how exciting for you!
The only thing I would add is that I had far more luck putting a detailed WANTED advert out with pictures of me riding in the local FB groups than I did just looking out for adverts of owners advertising for a sharer.
My reason for not wanting to put an advert out was that I didn't want to sift through the numptys - the amazing owner who contacted me after I put my wanted ad out had not put an advert up for exactly the same reason.
Also it's worth some FB stalking if you see an advert you like... I quite often see the same horse being advertised for share a few times a year at least and always advertised as a safe hack alone and in groups. I know for a fact it wasn't (reared with me several times - small rears but enough that I did not want to hack it) so I dread to think who else has tried to hack it alone completely unaware.
Maybe not so relevant if all goes well with this horse though, good luck. Let us know how you get on!

I've done a wanted ad and this does seem to be the better way to do it - I've had a few people get in touch from this in a short space of time. Two were unfortunately too far away, one I've got a bit of a weird feeling about from my background research so probably won't pursue, and one I had a great conversation with the owner about and am going to view this weekend - I really hope we're a good fit because it just sounded like an absolute dream come true!

One I'd approached before I did my ad had someone else interested before me and they decided to go ahead with a trial so missed out on that one, and the first one I viewed just never got back to me which I thought was a bit rubbish (even just to say they'd gone with someone else or they didn't think I was suitable would have been absolutely fine).

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Popping back to this thread with an update because I am just so excited! I went to my second viewing today and it looks like I've got myself a horse to share :)

The owner seemed very nice and happy to help me get back into things under her supervision to begin with, and was really empathetic when I said I was a bit nervous heading out on a hack (I felt silly saying it but thought best to be honest and the owner was so understanding). We had a chat while doing the chores and a short ride out for me to start getting to know the horse and the area around the yard - he was a star and I think it hopefully won't take me too long to build my confidence with him. I hope it won't take too much to get me up to speed on everything, and to build a good relationship with the horse (and to be a good sharer to his owner!)

Good feeling on it to begin with anyway which is positive, a childhood dream come true if it works out :)