Sharing - your experiences please?

StarFell

Visit site
I'm struggling a bit with my lad time-wise at the minute, and I'm thinking about looking for a sharer, but I can't make my mind up. Do you have / have you ever had a sharer? Was it a good or bad experience? Would you do it again? How did your sharing agreement work, and did the sharer also contribute financially? Sorry for all the questions
tongue.gif

Snowysadude

Visit site
I have a sharer and have had sharers for other horses before, they contribute £15 to £25 a week depening on the horse and what they do with it (for 2 or 3 days). I would sometimes let them compete in a different class to me if i was out and they could do what they liked within reason on their days (as in hack, school, jump, have a lesson on etc). I would do it again and it was a good experience. I have an agreement with them which is signed by me and them with a witness or 2 witnesses - if you want any more help/a copy of my agreement (with all our personal details taken out hehe!! I will happily send you one just pm me (But NOT right now - the pms r playing up and everyone keeps reciving each others haha)
smile.gif

Twizzel

Visit site
I shared a horse once, I was the sharer. We had a written contract (we fiddled about with the BHS loan contract) which stated what both the sharer and owner were expected to do, who was to call vet if something happened and whose responsibility it was if horse got injured, tack the horse was ridden in etc.

I paid £110/month for 4 days per week but gave the share up due to not being able to afford it, and the horse was invariably not able to be ridden due to owner not getting farrier and horse losing shoes, saddle problems, owner not pulling their weight and leaving mucking out to me, horse went stale jumping and blew its mind out hunting with the owner which meant it was a total nut job!!

In theory shares should work well if both parties abide to the contract, however my experience wasn't great. I now help out a lovely couple with their horses and am getting on fab with them, absolutely love it. Horses are gorgeous, couple are lovely and we are all on the same wavelength which IMO is v important. I didn't gel with the share horse's owner which didn't help the situation
smile.gif

Cample19

Visit site
I have sharers for both of mine and its been completely positive for me - other than searching for them where all sorts of complete beginners came to try them out and could barely manage rising trot yet told me they were the best thing since sliced bread! I have had the same loaners for quite some time and they are brilliant they pay £100per month for 2 days and then now and again have extra days for lessons etc - i have a nice rest and get the shoes and a few extra bits paid for - lovely! I have never had a written agreement but was VERY upfront about what was and wasnt acceptable so there was no confusion later on.

marmalade76

Visit site
I too had a someone come to try who was less experienced than she claimed; she could not even put the tack on properly!

I have recently shared with someone I met on here, she was great; experienced and trustworthy. We did not have a written agreement (although I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't), I did not ask for a financial contribution, but did not turn down anything that was offered. There was no work to do as my horse lived out and I could only ride once a week myself, so the sharer more or less had the horse to herself. Sadly, this arrangement came to an end when my horse was diagnosed with a heart problem.
frown.gif

It can work really well if you find the right person, but you must be fair with them, IMO if you want someone to look after and exercise your horse without the chance of doing any of the fun things too, like competing, etc, then you should be paying a groom.

Tharg

Visit site
I'm a sharer!

Communication is key.

If I was an owner I would be more inclined to ask for less if the person is more experienced than I am. A reliable person is worth their weight in gold!

RolyPolyPony

Visit site
My first share i thought was going great until the owners moved the horses without telling me, said i was welcome to still ride them but ignored my calls or made excuses why i couldn't ride. Tbh i felt completely used as i lived a 5 min drive from horses and could get down when they couldn't. 2nd share was ok but didn't bond with horse. Now i ride the most amazing little mare. We clicked straight away, her owner is really understanding about my awful work shifts meaning with the dark evenings i'm not able to ride some days. I can do what i want with horse (within reason!) and pay nothing. I'm happiest with this share than i was with either of the others!

Kat

Visit site
KirstyLou, your first share sounds almost identical to my last share!

I was giving the owner time off and helping her out as she couldn't sell him and didn't have time for him. I suggested that I would be willing to have him on full loan for a year too.

I rode him every time it was my day, improved his schooling and helped keep him fit, YO thought I was doing a great job, instructor thought so too.

I went on holiday, having given her plenty of notice and came home to find he had been moved, same thing, said they'd still appreciate my help but then ignored my calls etc.

I was especially gutted as I was considering buying him (he was advertised) she changed her mind about selling him but then put him on the market again six months later without giving me a heads up.

louisevictoria

Visit site
I have a sharer for my boy to keep his fitness up through the winter. We recently had a little blip as she kept turning up late/not at all and communications seemed to be failing but we had a little chat and have sorted things out now. Which is great as during the week I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark and don't have a school.

She pays nothing and doesn't have to do any stable chores if she doesn't want to - but if she wants to muck out I am not going top say no LOL

Suzie86

Visit site
I have a sharer, she has the weekends as they are the only days she can do - it means all i can do over the winter is school and lunge but i put up with it as she pays me £150 pm which covers my livery bill. I could ride at the weekends i guess as theres no harm in 2 light rides a day but to be honest with this weather i dont want to! She hacks out at the weekend and i do the hard work in the week. it does help me out a great deal financially and they do him if i want to go away. i will still compete every few weeks though so she just does a class if theres an appropriate one for her
smile.gif
go for it its a big help!