Sharp, Sensitive Cobs.

Feival

Visit site
Winifred is a proper leg at each corner type cob, although not overly hairy. She is off Bodmin moor and is as brave as a lion, however she is quirky, sensitive and can be super sharp. If I didn't know better I'd think she had a hefty dose of Welsh in her. She's set to be a super little all rounder and I love her to bits. Anyone else got a chunky little pocket rocket? Win is 14.1 1/2hh

Leo Walker

Visit site
Yup, he wasnt, he was a proper kick along cob till he hit 5yr old. He can still be a bone idle lazy git in the school if he thinks he can get away with it! But hes very sensitive and very forward, well unless he throws his toys out of the pram and doesn't want to be :lol: Hes super intelligent and very quickly susses out people and situations. His favourite thing is a huge medium trot that would put a lot of sports horses to shame! He also knows if I'm feeling under par, or the exact moment I take my focus off him. I adore him but he also drives me mad sometimes! Hes a proper traditional hairy lump as well, so anyone who rides him is always gobsmacked!

mudmonkey17

Visit site
I ride a 14.2 cob x appy (we think) and he is the quirkiest thing I have ever riden. Definately not boring. My semi retired cob was no picnic either :)

fishy

Visit site
My daughter has a traditional cob who is sharp and sensitive. She has had him for 4 years so knows his quirks. He easily out scalloped ish and thinks he is a showjumper. He has a great character and is tremendous fun!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Yes, sort of. I'd say mine was a sporty cob - I believe he's a Connemara x ID but I can't see the ID myself, just the connie and I think he's connie x cobX, something like that.

He's 15hh and just wonderful in every way, turns his hoof to anything you ask. He never runs out of energy and I've done everything with him. He has lovely manners, he's a fantastic person to be around, he would jump the moon if you asked. He is brave jumping as long as you are, but he's very sensitive so if he senses you're not 100% with him then he might have a look but he never stops - he'll always do his best to help you out. I've evented him (BE80/90 and he'll school around a BE100 course like it's not there), team chased, SJ, hunted... he hacks, he does DR. I recently started lessons with a pro DR rider who tells me she loves him as he moves well, has a wonderful, trainable attitude with great work ethic, and that "he could go a very long way in DR with the right work".

He's awesome and he makes me v proud! Had him since a 5yo and he's 9 now. Doesn't look like much but he's transformed with someone riding him.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My traddie is Jeckyll and Hyde. One minute dope on a rope, easily a novice ride, looks like he'd be a rocking-horse to ride, no probs. Next minute deffo NOT novice ride: quirky and wanting his own way and willing to do anything to get it!

You just couldn't ever invent a horse like him.

But I love him to bits (I think.......... :) )

pansymouse

Visit site
In my view if a cob is not overweight and is properly ridden it can be as sharp and athletic as most horses. My friend has one and he's on the button and has a reasonable turn of speed. I wouldn't have one personally but know you can have more fun with them that a lot of people think.

BeingKate

Visit site
Our lovely Thomas is a pocket rocket. He came to us feathery, hairy, mitey and terrified, now he is clipped out and bold as brass. He is working at Medium dressage and has gone from having a cobby choppy trot to the most beautiful flowing elastic paces, and jumps 3'6 with ease. However he is bloomin' sharp and can spin on a sixpence but he is getting soooo much better. And his favourite thing in the world is a mega blast up the hill. Because he's really fit it also means we can keep him on ad-lib hay and decent grazing as he doesn't really get fat, though due to his type we are careful he doesn't get too much sugar in the diet.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Our lovely Thomas is a pocket rocket. He came to us feathery, hairy, mitey and terrified, now he is clipped out and bold as brass. He is working at Medium dressage and has gone from having a cobby choppy trot to the most beautiful flowing elastic paces, and jumps 3'6 with ease. However he is bloomin' sharp and can spin on a sixpence but he is getting soooo much better. And his favourite thing in the world is a mega blast up the hill. Because he's really fit it also means we can keep him on ad-lib hay and decent grazing as he doesn't really get fat, though due to his type we are careful he doesn't get too much sugar in the diet.

Kate - Thomas sounds lovely, you have to show us a photo! :)

godfreyy

Visit site
I have a 15.1 "Irish Cob" (not really sure what he is, just that he's a cob and from Ireland!), and he's an absolute tank! It's comical how fast his legs go, he doesn't really understand the words "Slow" or "Stop". Wish I had the excuse that he was in shape and well trained! He's currently fat off air and he's an absolute nightmare to school as he just wants to go go go!

ShadowHunter

Visit site
Mines an Irish cob, very honest and will put her best foot forward. We're still getting used to each other but i have come to realise that even though she's sharp and often very forward, there is remarkable brakes. Pretty sure she could give a tb a run for its money :D My confidence with her grows everyday and she's teaching me loads. Even on Saturday the trees had been cut at the side of the road, which freaked her out massively, spun and was about to bolt off when i stopped her in her tracks.

_OC_

Visit site
Oh....I have one , 15.1 cob who currently is full on .......he certainly a rocket pocket.....moved yards last week,has to be taken to the field in a bridle......and when he squeals like a pig and leaps 6 foot in the year I know there will be trouble........he is a chunky hogged and soon to be fully clipped out.....but,binding my time until he settles down.........and every one that sees him tell me he is lovely stamp of a cob......but,due to his behavior at the moment I would love to batter him........my arms feel dead due to being dragged to the field :(

Merrymoles

Visit site
I have a 15.1 "Irish Cob" (not really sure what he is, just that he's a cob and from Ireland!), and he's an absolute tank! It's comical how fast his legs go, he doesn't really understand the words "Slow" or "Stop". Wish I had the excuse that he was in shape and well trained! He's currently fat off air and he's an absolute nightmare to school as he just wants to go go go!

Ha ha ha - I've got his twin! Everything you have said is true of mine. Love him to bit but he does think he should be a racehorse and always wants to go at least one pace faster than I do!

BeingKate

Visit site
Kate - Thomas sounds lovely, you have to show us a photo! :)

Thank you, he really is a dude! Hehe I Shall try and sort that out tomorrow. I have an amazing one of him demonstrating hid spinability with my other half on board hehehe :) today I went to put my boots on and the sneaky little man untied himself and started eating the eggs I'd collected from the hen coop and accidentally left on the mounting block... whoops...

RaYandFinn

Visit site
Me! I have my very own affectionately nicknamed 'turbocob' will out walk anything on the yard, trots so fast his legs are a blur and pulls like a train- even with arthritic hocks.

He is also the sweetest pony I know, soft as grease to do and loves his kisses. I wouldn't swap him for the world :)

McFluff

Visit site
Yup, mine are both 'pocket Rockets'. Irish cobs according to their passports. The gelding is 19 going on 5 - likes being in front and goes really well for experienced riders. My mare is turning into a nice wee dressage pony - great work ethic and learns so fast - think she is a TB stuck in cob body!

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Yep, the Bouncing Bog Trotter's other nickname is Cob on Crack. Woe betide the person who mistakes her copious bone and thick set body to be attached to a brain that thinks in slow motion. She is the most forward thinking, responsive horse I have had the pleasure to own, is very special and knows it. Now she just needs to come back from injury and surgery and the fun will commence again.

sasquatch

Visit site
I have my 15hh cob thing.
He's possibly part welsh, possibly full welsh, possibly connemara, possibly something chunky.

He is 14 going on 5.

He's a very clever boy, can open stable doors and undo knots and occasionally get out of a headcollar. He also can do a few tricks, and he likes to chase ponies.
He is so fast, so responsive to your leg and when he was in work was jumping 90cm really nicely.

He also has jumped a 5 bar gate out of turnout before because he wanted the grass on the other side, as well as letting himself out of turnout to try and get to his field and untying himself and going on a walk outside for the grass.

He is just very very very naughty, and give him a course of jumps he can keep up with the pony times round the clock and really is in it to win it. Schooling and dressage is a bit of a nope though.

Just don't let him chase ponies, or give him the chance to think he's in a 'race'. He has to show that he is the fastest and show off to those around him.

flirtygerty

Visit site
My traddie is Jeckyll and Hyde. One minute dope on a rope, easily a novice ride, looks like he'd be a rocking-horse to ride, no probs. Next minute deffo NOT novice ride: quirky and wanting his own way and willing to do anything to get it!

You just couldn't ever invent a horse like him.

But I love him to bits (I think.......... :) )

My 5yr old is like this, has discovered he can buck a rider off and thinks it's ok, all checks done, all ok, taking the beggar back to basics, have lunged, longreined and worked from the ground, no problems, this weekend I'm taking him out, getting tough if needed and take it from there, my gut tells me he's just pushing boundaries, so watch this space