Sharpening clipper blades??

Zippydoodles

Visit site
Some advice please everyone - how often would you recommend sharpening clipper blades?? I have Liveryman Harmony clippers, they were new last winter and have done 2 trace clips on a 15.2 'fluffy' (he is quite furry but it is very short soft fluff rather than coarse winter hair) I want to go for a hunter clip this year but not sure whether I need to have my blades sharpened first, or if they will manage one more clip. They are standard blades. Would appreciate feedback as cant put off the evil moment much longer!

skewby

Visit site
My lad blunts a set in one clip! So I am not much help lol. A friend clips tbs and moans if her blades don't last 3 goes!!

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
i sharpen mine when they go blunt!! but i got loads of blades, i can get between one dirty coarse haired cob to about 6 clean normal coats out of one set before sharpening!

DollyDolls

Visit site
Please get them sharpened before trying "just one more clip".
I didn't & ended up with half horse done very badly (tram lines everywhere) and then having to rush out (to 4 different places as everywhere had run out) & buy new ones to finish off later that day.

I then used the people below to sharpen them. Fantastic service.
http://www.sharpedgesussex.co.uk/

Steeleydan

Visit site
I can get 4 full clips out of a set of Lister blades, but Iam extremley fussy and bath the day before I clip, it saves the blades and you get a much much better job. Hence why now I have really stopped going round doing clipping sick of arriving to dirty, greasy horses that blunt a set of blades in one clip.
I have mine sharpened at clippersharp.

Firehorse

Visit site
hey guys, i run a pet grooming parlour and my dog blades can last a year between sharpening, and i'm using them every day. mainly because most the pet's coats are bathed and squeaky clean before i clip them. however, what you can do is get some Blade Majik cleaning fluid and as you clip, dip your blade into it to clean them. this will remove the dirt that blunts the blades and keep them shrper for longer. make sure you wipe the liquid off the blade before clipping the horse again or it will leave a greasy mark.