Shavings- large flakes or small flakes? Difference?

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Just deciding whether to change to large flaked shavings or stick to small flakes?

My horse is kept on very small flakes (almost like hemp) ATM but the new yard offers a very large flakes type shaving and I'm unsure if this would be more/less absorbent/clean.

Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks

lhotse

Visit site
I use Bedmax which are the large flakes with Megazorb underneath. I used to use small shavings but much prefer the larger ones as they don't break up so easily and stay cleaner. I usually use about 2 Megazorb a month as I put it down just where she pees.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I have mine on small shavings - they are variable as we get them free from a joiners. I like the small ones as they are really absorbent, but I think the large ones actually look nicer....

mini-eventer

Visit site
I have to say I found the large ones didnt go very far and seamed to turn black!!!! yeuck! never again.

I like small shavings
Woodpellets
or a chopped straw type bedding

dumpling

Visit site
I use whatever my feed merchant had in which usually varies! I like small ones for absorbency and the bigger ones for going round the banks. All big ones don't soak up well- I tried bedmax, and all small ones can get a bit dusty.

EnduroRider

Visit site
I found a mix of small and large worked best. The small ones are more absorbent but the large add a bit of bounce to the bed and bind it together.

erin82

Visit site
We have tried both and have settled on a bit of both, big flakes for bulk and the small ones as they seem to be more absorbant. Seems to work for our wet/messy mare