Shavings Shortage (Staffordshire)

lamborea

Visit site
Is anyone else in the Midlands, Staffordshire area having problems getting hold of reasonably priced shavings?? I have a pony on box rest and im trying to find somewhere where I can get shavings that dont cost the earth, my local supplier has put his prices up to £7.50!!! Can anyone get cheaper ??????

perfect11s

Visit site
not good here( cheshire) thats about the price unless someone knows different, the waste wood ones are in very short supply and the others arent much beter everyone is struggling to get stocks
shocked.gif

qwertyuiop

Visit site
We are really struggling and have had to change suppliers again. Their prices keep going up, at the same time as their quality goes down. Just switched to Bedmax.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Don't think our YO is having trouble getting them because she buys in bulk (huge amounts) so I guess anyone would want to supply her who had them as she's guaranteed to buy a lot, but I know the prices have just gone up.

lamborea

Visit site
shaving pellets??? are they the ones you add water to ?? someone has said something to me about bedding which you add water to, doesnt sound right !!

lauraanddolly

Visit site
Haven't had a huge problem down south yet, in fact my shavings have just gone down in price, only by 10p a bale compared with the £1.50 they gone up its hardly noticeable!
I'm obviously ok for now but If the price starts going up again - I will switch to another bedding, could you find out what is available in your area and consider a switch? I was considering a move from shavings to hemp, if it becomes cheaper than shavings of course!

jnb

Visit site
We are in Shropshire but not far from Staffs, I managed to get 25 bales (the humungous 120 litre bales) from Countrywide @£7.29 a bale (this was the Market Drayton branch).
The bales really are about 1/3 as big again as a normal one -definitely recommend. Try giving them a ring.

Blaise

Visit site
Where abouts in staffs are you? Where i live is classed as staffs but got my horse just over the worcs border and i can still get them for about £7 a bale there. I've recently gone back onto straw as shavings were getting too expensive at the rate i get through them.

alison_oliver

Visit site
my friend was struggling in warks (near staffs border) my lad went straight back onto straw, she managed to get her mare some easibed cheap from our local countrywide (they do have some good offers on at times)

gemmahodgkinson

Visit site
argh! JNB - I went to Market Drayton Countrywide last week to buy shavings to put my mare's bed down at her new place and they had none left, queue mad panic at shavings shortage and now on straw bed! Now I know where they all went!
grin.gif

townfieldlass

Visit site
We are struggling with the shavings shortage!!

If we do see them we've been buying 2 or 3 at a time just to tide us over at £8.50 a bale (ouch). Ive swapped my boy onto straw but my old mare has dust allegies so I may be tempted to try the Wood Pellets - does anyone use them? Are they good? She is currently on Shavings and rubber matting semi-deep bedded (i know thats not ideal on rubber matting but its just to add thickness and warmth until we overcome the shavings shortage). I need a thick bed for the old girl.....will they work as a good alternative and how much does it work out a week when topping the bed up? (I topup usually 1 bale of shavings a week)
confused.gif
<font color="blue"> </font>