Shavings V straw

LIL PJ

Visit site
ive always had my horses and ponies stabled on shavings, but the yard im looking at only takes straw. Im not too bothered about him eating it, as he will always have haylage available to him. Anyone any views on straw, apart from it being a lot cheaper (£1.50 a bale!) thanks guys, im probably just being a soppy owner x

Rambo

Visit site
I think shavings are cleaner than straw but mine are currently on straw as the YO views the cost of shavings as prohibitive. I'm not prepared to pay extra so they get what they get
blush.gif

brightmount

Visit site
Our yard used to have straw available but doesn't any more and we're not allowed to buy in our own so we all had to revert to shavings.

I loved straw, it was so easy to chuck out all the soiled section every day and replace it with fresh straw. A nice inviting bed for neddy, quick and easy for me
smile.gif

Shavings are nasty, unwelcoming, expensive, messy things that can't compare with a nice straw bed. Lucky you!

dressagespain

Visit site
I had straw in UK, much warmer, looks nice and easy to muck out. Shavings also but much preferred straw.

Out here, too hot for big beds, gets smelly so I have rubber mats and use rice husks as the bedding - cheap and dust free
grin.gif

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
If I could I would be on just straw... I started off like that but he eats it and to wet and churns the whole bed. Now on both... Straw banks but shaving middle asorbing wee so i only have to muck out every other day... takes ages to muck out shavings well unlike when i was on straw.

Its proven horse perfer straw and relax more bed-ed on it.

I don't see how people can say shavings are cleaner. If you do choose shaving atleast use bedmax *about 50p extra* and lovely big shavings.

If you can muck out well, i would take straw, have a lovely clean deep comfortable bed!
grin.gif

horsegirl

Visit site
I much prefer straw, horses are happier on it I believe. It is cheaper too. Almost eveyone else where I am use shavings and keep saying I should move to straw but I think a straw bed looks lovely and clean whereas a shavings bed always looks grubby to me.

emerald2006

Visit site
i am on a straw bed and really like it however when i gett he money i am moving to rubber matting and shavings as it is so much easier to muck out espcailly when they are in during the day and i muck out in the evening

KrashnBurn

Visit site
I much prefer straw. Lovely big banks and a good thick "pad" in the middle like a chesterfield sofa!! IMHO they are easier to keep and it takes less time to do. Plus straw is lovely and warm. **Reminisces back to the good old days**

Am on shavings at the moment as it is all YO will allow.
frown.gif

Jay89

Visit site
Ours are all on straw as its cheap and easy to muck out!! I like shavings but don't think they work very well with VERY messy hores e.g. archie!!

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I love big straw beds! but unfortunatley my girl has to be on rubber matting and shavings as she likes to eat straw too much. I would put a bale down, go up the next day and all that would be left was the wet and poo patch's and a horse with tummy ache!

kick_On

Visit site
i always think it depends on how mucky your gg is. I went onto shaving for summer and mine were even cleaner on shaving than straw plus extra bonus of no wee smell, BUT you do have to pay for it via your purse.........
I perfer straw, and i use a deep bed and i personnel think its warmer in winter
but i'm very lucky i do have two very clean horses

PoppyPony

Visit site
Everybody seems to be raving about straw - but I prefer shavings! The pony I used to loan was on straw and although it looked lovely it was smelly and he had an awful cough. My horse is on shavings + rubber mats and it is clean, plus I feel that I can breathe when I go in the stable!

However if your yard only allows straw make up a lovely thick bed and gg will love it.

_Jazz_

Visit site
Hi
If he has any history of breathing problems tell them he will remain on shavings! If you prefer shavings tell them he will remain on shavings !

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
When i moved to the yard i was on previously it was only shavings allowed so i had to change from straw to shavings, and initially it was weird, but i got right into it, along with my rubber matting, and now i am a real convert and wouldnt go back in a hurry, i do love matting and shavings, but to be honest the best part is the rubber matting,great stuff. I dont have anything against straw personally, it can make a lovely bed
grin.gif

eekmon

Visit site
Straw all the way for me! Cheap, easy to muck out, warm, rots down quicker than shavings and wheelbarrows are lighter to empty
smile.gif
If you can leave bed up each day and allow floor to dry I find stables don't smell either!

evsj

Visit site
A good straw bed is warmer, better for their feet and provided it is well-managed it can be much cleaner. I swapped from straw to shavings last summer and despite careful management, I was still having to empty nearly a barrow-load out every day. She's back on straw again and for only 2 bales per week (3 quid) she has a lovely deep, dry bed.
Get a fork with prongs at least 1 inch apart - this makes it much easier to muck out.

mrsbloggett

Visit site
I much prefer straw, but I am having to bed my pony on shavings as she has laminitis and would eat her whole bed if on straw. Its really annoying as I could have free straw form my farm livery, but I'm having to pay £6 per bale of shavings!

lusty

Visit site
One of my horses is on straw and the other shavings and i prefer straw any day, its easier to muck out and looks nicer. I use barley straw and i find my shavings bed is more dusty than my straw bed!
smile.gif

debbielinder

Visit site
i prefer shavings as straw has that amonia smell dont think horsey is to bothered but chances are she'd try and eat the straw any way tho ive always had shavings and find it so easy to muck out and love doing my bed! shes on rubber matting plus a huge bed and theres nothing better than bringing horsey in to a nice big bed loads of fresh shavings and a huge haynet, i know sad!

bandit

Visit site
i'm on straw and love it. was on shavings for a while but when moved to yard i'm on now only would allow straw or paper...

my mare is quite mucky but I only need to use 1 or 2 bales / week (she does have a massive courtyard
grin.gif
she can access all the time so no doubt that helps keep her bed clean)

i love the beds I make and everyone on the yard always comment on them - sounds like i don't use much straw but they are deep enough!

Bx