Shavings

Wan2bEventer

sacramenta-z.blogspot.com
Having to switch from paper bedding to shavings (muchly disgruntled
mad.gif
!). Used to use Bedmax which I quite liked, but wondered what everyone else recommended?
confused.gif

Ideally I want a bedding that I can just poo-pick during the week, and dig up the wet at the weekend. I find that normal shavings have bever allowed me to do this - a full muck out every day is the only way! Ideally I want to not have to spend too much, but wouldn't mind a more expencive bale if it meant I only topped up one a week for example.

Anyone heard of Megazorb?

xx

Jenfa

Visit site
Apparentely Rape Straw is very good for managing a bed as you want to. It doesn't move very much so the wet stays in place.

It is not like straw as we no it - finely chopped, it's dust free etc.

Might be worth investigating.

I haven;t used it personally but a few people on my yard are trying it.

appylass

Visit site
I love using megazorb, have never found anything as absorbent! It is pricey to put down but cheap to maintain. I have used it deep littered and fully mucked out, both were good.

Last year I used flax which I also liked (it was easier to get hold of than the megazorb and cheaper to set up)

hellspells

Visit site
Don't use easibed!! My YO use to use it and it took me 2 hours to muck out her two its horrible if the horses is messy (back down to 15mins on normal shavings).

Wan2bEventer

sacramenta-z.blogspot.com
Which shavings do you use though kazs? My old mare's bed used to be an absolute mess every day - wet shavings all stirred in with clean. There was a lot of waste and I just had to do a full muck out every day as the wet was on the top. Although my new mare is a bit cleaner, I still think I need a different bedding strategy this time around!

kazs

Visit site
not a branded name, i dont take slight wet out, only the very wet, but take all wet out once a week, i find if he has a lot of clean shavings he gets absolutly covered in them, by keeping some slight wet in stops him getting covered.

davidoricardo

Visit site
Hello, you may want to try Aquamax, very easy to manage and very absorbant. You only cherry pick very wet areas and can do it when you want. Do a websearch for horsezz Ta