sheath cleaning

Visit site
I know I've posted about this before but last time my horse's sheath sorted itself out and so didn't need cleaning but this time it has come back (the dicharge I mean) and is worse. We have bought some sheath cleaner but how do we go about doing it?
crazy.gif
I've never done it before. Also will my gelding need sedating?

Any tips/advice much appreciated. x

Salcey

Visit site
Have only ever done it twice and this is what we did:
Don Rubber Gloves
Make rubber gloves nice and soapy
Then begin to gently rub around the top of the sheath to check the horse is ok with it.
Then begin to delve a bit further
etc. etc, etc
We we staggered as to how high up you can go (felt like James Herriet (sp))
Our gelding really really enoyed it, he use to lift one of his back legs up to the side!! Definately no sedation for him.. I wouldn't like to say for any other gelding though.
Best of luck

JaneSteventon

Visit site
I use ky jelly for this as you don't have to rinse it off. I had no problem cleaning it with general sheath cleaners but couldn't rinse around properly. Echo above it's amazing how high up it is.

fizzer

Visit site
had horrendous probs with my geldings sheath, got a yeast infection right up where you couldnt really see, to cut story short after a few months of tests, swabs antibiotics and creams and a broth solution we were told by the vet to use a mild soap to throughly wash every 6 months so far so good

Tia

Visit site
I do not start sheath-cleaning therefore mine never need doing. Have you thought about using Baby Oil? It is very easy to use - you just squirt it up there and it lubricates and help clear out any smegma.

Biggest problem with sheath cleaning is once you start you have to continue.

runaway

Visit site
Baring in mind that this is your horses delicate area only use products made specifically for the area
wink.gif
or as suggested, KY. Warm water and a soft cloth is good too. You just need to soften the area if he has "crusty" smegma or if your removing "runny" stuff then it'll come away on a soft cloth well. Once you've washed him don't forget to dry him off gently. Basically treat him as you would your beloved
blush.gif

Please do be very careful how far up you venture! I tend to only go the length of my hand and no further. You can make them sore if you go too far! I once had a lady come into the vets where I worked saying her horse was sore after she'd cleaned him- she'd used hibiscrub and gone as far as she could
crazy.gif
- eg practically her forearm length included!!

If your horse is ticklish or objects then it will be a slow process of acclimatisation.
smile.gif

Lynz25

Visit site
My youngster had an infected sheath last year horrid smelly discharge. I rang the vet and they gave me something to clean it out with. When I was doing it I found that he had some how got a rotting piece of grass up there (about 15cm in length). I now keep him clean using Red Rum Sheath Cleaner - works really well.

To clean I use luke warm water and a soft sponge which isn't too big. Then I either use warm water to rinse with a clean sponge or my 3 geldings actually allow me to place the end of a hose pipe on the edge of the sheath (only used in summer mind).

Personally I wouldn't use something like baby oil as if you read the label its only for external use. Something like KY would be better for lubrication as its designed for internal use.

runaway

Visit site
Not that I have any information myself or professional opinion, but on gut reaction and personal thought I too would not be inclined to use Baby oil. But then if a vet recommend it who am I to disagree!! Possibly if it is used in the appropriate way its good.

ruscara

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Personally I wouldn't use something like baby oil as if you read the label its only for external use. Something like KY would be better for lubrication as its designed for internal use.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought internal use meant that you could eat/drink it, and external use meant that you couldn't. Therefore 'for external use only' means 'do not consume'. A sheath is not internal, IMO.
I use baby oil. It works fine for me.
smile.gif