Sheath cleaning

Cliqmo

Visit site
Sorry in advance to anyone with a sensitive disposition!

I noticed a week or so ago (
blush.gif
) that my gelding was holding his man tackle awkwardly, not always tucking it away properly when he had finished having a tinkleberry. I dutifully looked up old threads on HHO regarding geldings bits and realised he probably had a 'bean' that was making him uncomfortable
frown.gif

I'm horrified to say that I've (subconsciously) been finding reasons to delay with this procedure, and by today I still hadn't got round to it
blush.gif

However I noticed this evening that close to the offending article was a big black nodule (about the size of a Malteser
shocked.gif
frown.gif
) and his man tackle was back in its normal place.

I feel terrible for not helping him with this sooner, poor chap! and am I safe to assume that this is the problem over with now?
confused.gif

Cookies for reading and thanks for your advice
smile.gif

Berkeley

Visit site
I learnt the best way to clean their privates was to wait until they are 'happy' get a bottle of baby oil at the ready and squirt! It self cleans their bits and works a treat.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The 'Penis' sometimes needs some attention - and I find applying baby oil to it every couple of weeks or so does the trick in keeping it gunk free. Just pop some on your hand, and gently apply it to his penis when it's down and relaxed.

Thumper often drops his when i'm grooming him - which is the ideal opportunity to check it and pop some baby oil on it it's needed.

Eaglestone

Visit site
Motor had a big 'bean' a couple of years ago, which was removed, when he was sedated to have his teeth done ..... poor boy was sore for a couple of days, but then absolutely fine
smile.gif

It was the first time in the 16 years I had owned him, at that time, that a bean had formed ......

I can show you a pic of his 'bean' if you like, saddo I am LOL

Cliqmo

Visit site
I have tried to have a good look at it but I think he is a bit shy/has trust issues with me, as he soon tucks it away again when I start poking and prodding! Thank you for your help.

hellybelly6

Visit site
Luckily my horse loves having his bits cleaned and even raises/cocks a back leg during the process for easy access. His eyes glaze over and he tries to groom whatever is in front of him and snaps his teeth.

I know when he needs a clean, because he kicks at his sheath and turns to look at me to make sure I get the message.

He is an unusual lad!

I use baby oil, rubber gloves and jay cloths. He gets a bean every 2-3 months.

Muckmeister

Visit site
I find baby oil attracts dirt so have started using lubricant instead. Stuff is called 'vet lube' and is actually quite cheap.

welshied

Visit site
One of my horse has absoloutely loads of these and needs his washing once a week to stop it from swelling you get about 5 pieces malteaser shaped off him its minging

silverbreeze

Visit site
ha ha.. I have one of those too!! If you touch his bottom anywhere he cocks his leg to be scratched
blush.gif
He too glazes over and tries to groom anything in the vacinity; in fact, he gets himself into such a state he almost topples over! I think that should be a pic thread all by itself!
I find a really soft sock is very good for cleaning them, put it over you hand and away you go. Make sure it is made of soft material though. I just use warm water or sheath cleaning gel if it has been a while.

Perissa

Visit site
A great method for getting baby or olive oil high up inside the sheath is to put it in a syringe and squirt it up the sheath.

hellybelly6

Visit site
Silver breeze, thats exactly what he does and he nearly falls over! Its weird but funny.

Whatever you use for the cleaning, put on a rubber glove! Nothing worse than black smelly stuff up your arm and under your finger nails - yuck