sheath cleaning?

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
prob stupid question but how do you clean your horses sheath? does he have to get his knob out for this or is it ok to keep the hairy bit clean. mine isn't too keen on being poked around as has very tickly tum but i remove any mud attached to the hair. he doesn't ever get his knob out except for a wee so haven't seen much of it
confused.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Have never done it. Used to have the odd pick if Freddy's was hanging out, but apart from that just left it alone.

I think that it's one of those things that people feel they have to do - but there isn't really any need to.

dressagespain

Visit site
Bucket of warm water, a pair of gloves and some soap!!!

There is nothing other way except to put your hand in it!!
blush.gif

If he doesn't like it, get someone to hold up his front leg, then at least he can't kick you!
grin.gif

SarahNZ

Visit site
Only use a VERY mild detergent, as soap can irritate the skin. Prefer to actually use one of the products specifically designed for the 'job'.

LouiseL88

Visit site
If he gets it out - spray baby oil on it and then leave it and check it the following day it will moisturise it and the dry flaky bits will fall off - makes em look lovely!!(If that is truly appropriate!! lol )

Tia

Visit site
Does he need his sheath cleaning? Why would you just clean it for the sake of cleaning it?

I don't know how many geldings I have but quite a few and although I always check once in a while to make sure there is no bean there, there never has been hence absolutely no need to interfere with the balance of natural oils within.

Once you start doing this, you will have to continue and remember you could actually do serious damage to the balance of oils on his skin.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I stick the hose up in summer when they are being hosed down. Cairo gets his inspected twice a year and I tend to brush off any lumps - occasionally I will put a little sheath cleaner on my hand if he is really dirty.

Chancer - do the same but he is the sort that needs his willy cleaned frequently - either by rubbing off dirt or using water as he rolls and rubs in the mud.

Luckily they both enjoy this and often show me their todges.