Shedding hoof wall

Surbie

Visit site
I had my farrier in a week early as Arch's fronts sounded hollow & odd. Both had some hoof wall that was coming away on the lower part near the shoe - the one in the pic is the worst and that whole section came off when the shoe did. Underneath was wet and the hoof is a bit spongey. He's in a field with long grass and fairly heavy dew, and the farrier could only guess that his feet never dry at the bottom. He doesn't move differently but it looks weird.

Am keeping an eye on it but, being new to horses I've not seen this before - any tips/pointers? Is it just a wet field spring thing?

He's fed a little bit of speedibeet, forageplus balancer, 1/2 mug micronised linseed & magnesium oxide, otherwise grass & hay.

hoof pic.jpg

Surbie

Visit site
It was a bit wider than the hinds, but I am kicking myself for not taking pictures while there wasn't a shoe on. The hoof wall is flexible at the base on the off fore and just appears a bit soggy. The hinds have a tight white line and were unshod. Am just a bit concerned I've made the problem worse by reshoing.

He's had very strong feet for nearly a year, and this has just happened in the last 2 weeks, which might mean I've taken my eye off the ball.

Is there anything I could be doing?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If that bit has come away so it means you do have an accessible area I'd wonder if it were worth doing a cleantrax soak even with the shoe on.
If not I'd be getting to the bits I could with red horse sole cleanse.

Surbie

Visit site
Thanks - will do - I have both at the yard. Totally forgot about the tiny bottle of Cleantrax!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
and hopefully some more dry weather :), F's WL has not been great this winter (probably as a result of white line stretch last summer) and needed keeping on top of but unshod and does seem to have grown out now.