Shedding mane & laminitis?

mrsbloggett

Visit site
My NF mare, Maisie suffered a bad attack of laminitis last year and has been on a fairly strict diet since November last year. Her weight has gone from a chubby 430kg to her current weight of 365kg (she's 14hh).

I have noticed over the last few week her mane has been falling out - its far more than the usual spring moult. I know people who diet hard can loose their hair, can the same happen in equines?

I am feeding her Formula 4 Feet, HiFi lite, soaked hay and she is now out in a well grazed paddock with a bit of grass to nibble on during the day. Do you think she could be malnourished?

Vet coming out to vaccinate next week so will run it by him then, but in the meantime I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this with their neddies following dieting and/ or laminitis.

mrsbloggett

Visit site
No sign of rubbing - her mane comes out in handsful when I groom her. I fear if this continues she'll looked 'hogged' in a couple of weeks

MagicMelon

Visit site
Never heard of it happening with laminitics. What about putting her on an all round vit & min supplement, high in B vitamins. Just in case she was very low on something?

wonkey_donkey

Visit site
Don't wish to scare you at all but our pony (albeit he was old) had lami, then his mane fell out in handfuls, then he was diagnosed with cushings. This all happened within a few weeks though. Unfortunately, he was that bad he had to be PTS soon after. Good idea to have the vet give yours a good check-over.