Shedding winter coat already

Bramblebear

Visit site
Are anyone else's horse shedding their coats already? Mine is shedding big time and although I realise that it is probably due to the weather being so mild, no one else's on my yard have shown any sign of shedding!

Enfys

Visit site
LMAO looks out of window at horizontally falling snow :D

Nope, mine are hanging on to every hair, probably until well into March :) Winter has only just started, we've only had snow on the ground since Christmas.

Luci07

Visit site
I wanted to tidy up my clip (1 side is perfect and the other a little hacked as I did it in my box..and the light wasn't good on the other side!)

However, today when grooming in daylight, I realised his summer coat is actually starting to come through..

staffylover

Visit site
Definitely a few white hairs being shed a couple of days ago. Couldn't see any more yesterday. Does Nutmeg know something about the weather I don't?

Pen

Visit site
My hairy, un-rugged, un-stabled, cob is shedding much to my amazement. I suppose if we have bulbs in flower in winter we can expect other unseasonal happenings

Rafie

Visit site
Clipped horse has patches of summer coat and the hairy one has been shedding a few hairs for about a week. Winter hasn't really happened in the south....yet!

JulesRules

Visit site
Yep, mins is shedding like a good un.

It's to do with the light more than the temperature ....as soon as those days start to get longer off comes the hair!

On another note does anyone else get a horse with a 3D coat in winter? Mine has white hair which is much thicker than her dark sploges and so we get a lovely pattern and it's mostly the white that moults

Enfys

Visit site
On another note does anyone else get a horse with a 3D coat in winter?

Mine has white hair which is much thicker than her dark sploges and so we get a lovely pattern and it's mostly the white that moults[/QUOTE]

I noticed that with all the paints, coloured hair seemed coarser than the white hair.

Equi

Visit site
Yes mine. But he had a heavier rug on and was in basically two weeks due to weather, so was probably too warm.

Bramblebear

Visit site
Glad to hear that mine is not the only one, but I wanted to get a full clip in before she started shedding. Only because I can't stand all the white hairs! I had to give up on that idea.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The earliest mine has started moulting is Boxing Day, she was a couple of days later this year but she has a very thick winter coat and it is coming out in handfuls. Poor girl has had a fungal infection from being too hot and damp under her tum.

JLav

Visit site
All the horses I've ever known start shedding their winter coats in January every year. Some more noticeably than others but both my youngsters who are out 24/7 and the stabled horses have started.

JLav

Visit site
No its not too late to clip!! I clip right up to May and the horses have amazing summer coats. Clip whenever you like.