Sheep and horses

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
We inherited two elderly sheep as tenants on our horses field. Sadly they have passed on. Having them convinced us of the value of sheep to manage the pasture. So now we are thinking of getting some. Any advice?

We don’t want to breed or eat them. So I’m thinking a pair / trio of wethers? Saw some soay sheep advertised which look easy to keep - any thoughts? Or for looks am quite attracted to the herdwicks...

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We have taken on a trio of "orphan" lambs in the past, they are tame and easier to move around if necessary. Obviously they will only be available in spring. We hae had Ryelands and currently have texles

AlinFaolan

Visit site
If you want sheep that graze, but don't eat trees you need Shropshire sheep. My lad is out with Hill Radnors, which are also lovely sheep, and easily tamed.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Don't get Herdwicks unless you have the best fencing in the world. Had some at our place one year and they wouldn't stay in anywhere! Fetched them back from a different place every day. They were cute though

Oh dear, that rules herwicks out. This is just the info I need :).

Leam_Carrie

Visit site

Those valais blacknose are the most adorable looking sheep... but too expensive :(.

Soays looked good as they eat weeds and don’t need shearing. The ones advertised come to a bucket. Silly question, but what issues does that not flocking together cause?

AlinFaolan

Visit site
They are lovely, you want something that will stick in a flock to move them, and if you bucket train them it makes it easy to move them about. At home we have a few that were cades, so very easy, to get to follow you when needed.

Tonto_

Visit site
Those valais blacknose are the most adorable looking sheep... but too expensive :(.

Soays looked good as they eat weeds and don’t need shearing. The ones advertised come to a bucket. Silly question, but what issues does that not flocking together cause?
Soays don't tend to like staying in fences either!

I really like Charolais, South Downs or any sort of cross of them. Ryelands aren't too bad either although not my favourite

Tonto_

Visit site
Dorpers or Wiltshire horns are good if you want something self shedding.
Easy care sheep are just that, but tend to be a bit wild as they know they can do it all themselves and don't want any human intervention

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I keep Zwartbles. I worked on the theory that I needed sheep that I liked the look of so that there would not be something I hated when they misbehaved. I fell in love and now seriously breed them.

They are large sheep so they can be handled much like a pony for feet ect. I halter train so they can be tied up and they are really food orientated. Mine have never attempted to jump out either but some will ignore a single electric tape. They are a breed that can require feeding but if you have three wethers then hay will be ample otherwise they can get fat.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
if you get Soays, get good fencing-like really good, little blighters can jump stock fencing easily.

^^^ We spent a whole weekend here chasing around the countryside looking for a local smallholder's Soay's!! They're a bleddi nightmare! I'd think twice, I really would.

Best is if you can find a local smallholder or farmer who could put their sheep in your field occasionally, rather than you actually OWN the darn things as then they'll have all the bother of shearing, foot trimming and faffing around, also the DEFRA regs won't be your problem either whereas if you own then they will.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I keep Zwartbles. I worked on the theory that I needed sheep that I liked the look of so that there would not be something I hated when they misbehaved. I fell in love and now seriously breed them.

They are large sheep so they can be handled much like a pony for feet ect. I halter train so they can be tied up and they are really food orientated. Mine have never attempted to jump out either but some will ignore a single electric tape. They are a breed that can require feeding but if you have three wethers then hay will be ample otherwise they can get fat.
We had a Zwartble tup used to come and stay with the ponies when the farmer wasn't using him. He was great, really tame and friendly.

dominobrown

Visit site
I have hebrideans. They are bit wild, but are tough little things. Not had much escaping antics as they love their current field. Only had it once whennsome tw@t left the gate on the footpath open!
I want herdwicks next, but the OH wont let me get rid of any. If pursuaded I may have some castrated lambs looking for a home.

D66

Visit site
Ask around. We have a local farmer who breeds rare breeds - he has put 29 mixed a flock of 29 various types on our fields for a couple of months or so, (we don't have horses any more). He comes daily to check them but we keep an eye on them too, and we do occasionally put one back in the correct field. It hasn't been the soays getting out. Best bit is when the grass has gone he takes them away.

pansymouse

Visit site
We have eight Shetland sheep in with ours - they are bucket trained and show no inclination to escape; remarkably easy to do.

In my experience it's best to avoid hill sheep and small natives; they can and will get out of a maximum security prison.

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
I have a mix of rarebreed sheep in with mine. Norfolks, whiteface woodlands, lincoln longwool and greyface dartmoor. None of them are particularly escapey. All are bucket trained. The longwools take a bit more care with flies but everyone else is easy

SlinkyMinxy

Visit site
I have a mix of rarebreed sheep in with mine. Norfolks, whiteface woodlands, lincoln longwool and greyface dartmoor. None of them are particularly escapey. All are bucket trained. The longwools take a bit more care with flies but everyone else is easy

You must have particularly well-behaved Dartmoors then! I did grass keep for the neighbouring farmer's Dartmoor sheep when I first moved here and they were forever escaping. They perfected the art of climbing the bank between the fields and then diving between the top of the stock netting and the upper strand of plain wire in order to escape, I used to watch them do it. One morning I came out and found about 6 of them up in a tree..... Someone later told me that Dartmoor sheep come with their own grappling irons!

canteron

Visit site
Sheep are great aren’t they - I have a couple that were forced on me and now I love them .... they make me laugh every day with their antics - they come for walks with us, and chase dogs (if the dog tried to chase them hence few surprised visiting dogs)!!

on choice of breed ...
1. No horns
2. Big ones can’t get through 3 bar fencing (small ones can)
3. Consider orphan lambs you bottle feed, hard work but then you can have really friendly sheep

And the more the merrier!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I went on a wildlife cruise to see the puffins earlier this year. There were lots of lovely puffins.

There were also some sheep on the wrong side of the cliff top fence on Duncansby Head.

That was special.

Fortunately none actually fell off while we were passing.