sheep

MillionDollar

Visit site
If the ewes have lambs at foot they will stand there ground which is when horses will go for them. We've got 600 lambing ewes at the moment and i don't like the newborn lambs going in with the horses.

One of our pet ewes had our first lamb this year (well just before Xmas). I put my 2 mares in the field with them when the lamb was about a month old. The field was 8 acres but the next morning i went sheperding and there was little Molly in the middle of the field foaming at the mouth and kicking around on her side in pain. She died 10 mins later
frown.gif
im positive it was a result of a horse kick, she was so healthy and full of life.

Also lambs will eat tails! Stupid as it sounds my NF pony let some lambs eat her tail, not once BUT twice!
mad.gif
Right up to her dock as well! I was not amused.

That said i haven't had much trouble over 10 years and they are EXCELLENT for the grazing. I've never had any raggwort or anything.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Ours mostly co-exist quite happily, with my riggy "herd leader" Welshy protecting them from dogs and men with guns(!) like he does his more conventional herd. If we leave the Section A with no equine companions she just joins in with the sheep. It has been known for the PBA mare to chase them and "play" with them - but she does that with the Section A too. We do make sure that when the lambs are babies they are kept in an electric fenced enclosure.

kibob

Visit site
I have a 15.2hh mare who thinks that anything smaller than her should not exist. She has been found suspiciously close to a dead sheep on a few ocassions. This was in her younger years however and she "tolorates" them now as long as they keep out of her way. Ewes with lambs will stand their ground though and this is when my mare feels the need to go stomping.

In fact, yesterday the neighbours sheep were escaping and grazing one of our fields (a field that I have been resting for some time and they were quickly eating my precious grass). My solution - put my daughters ponies in there, 9hh shettie and 12hh ponio. Ponio chased them all out and they haven't been back since!!

Just keep an eye on your pony, you'll find out pretty quickly if he is a sheep killer or not lol.

I will add that I run a small livery yard and it's only my mare that has ever done this.

Lucys

Visit site
We graze April with sheep and out other ponies have as well... no problems! There again when April got out she joined a herd of cows! lol

juliebrewer

Visit site
I was riding a mare in season once in the schooling paddack where the ram was and the ram would'nt leave me alone, it was defenetly interest in the mare!! cranky ram!!
blush.gif
o: