Sheepskin Anatomical Girth

emily_selby

New User
Visit site
I am looking for a anatomical girth (preferably leather) that has sheepskin already attached or one I can buy a sheepskin cover to go with. Thanks :)

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I like the horsedreams/Christ lammfelle girths. I've got a plain one and the quality is amazing. They are backec onto nylon not leather but i prefer that as it makes them softer and also means you can just chuck them in the washing machine on a wool wash.

emily_selby

New User
Visit site
I have just looked they are all for a dressage or mono flap saddle. I have a standard dual flap so wont work unfortunately. Thank you though x

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Mattes, not only in long and short sizes (and a wide range of sizes) but the best sheepskin there is, detachable and washable (use their own Melp leather wash). but they also have different shapes so the ergonomics are right for your particular horse.

Last edited:

saddlesore

Visit site
I have a passier blu wave 30” with sheepskin sleeve I’m selling if that would be any good? All brand new.

Ignore me- I assumed dressage girth for some reason 🤦‍♀️

criso

Visit site
I have just looked they are all for a dressage or mono flap saddle. I have a standard dual flap so wont work unfortunately. Thank you though x
I have a long one for a GP saddle so it's probably just that site that doesn't stock them. Google Christ lammfelle. Of you're really lucky you'll pick one up on eBay like I did

Mattes, not only in long and short sizes (and a wide range of sizes) but the best sheepskin there is

My saddle fitter showed me the Mattes saddle pad after admiring my Christ girth ( she particularly liked that is was wide and soft) and it felt a bit rough next to my Christ one.

criso

Visit site
If anyone's looking there's a straight GP one on eBay brand new. . I will say though that 12 years on, my black one doesn't look as jet black as it did but still as soft.

sbloom

I have a long one for a GP saddle so it's probably just that site that doesn't stock them. Google Christ lammfelle. Of you're really lucky you'll pick one up on eBay like I did

My saddle fitter showed me the Mattes saddle pad after admiring my Christ girth ( she particularly liked that is was wide and soft) and it felt a bit rough next to my Christ one.

The odd one comes through that isn't quite as soft but having stocked them for 13 years I find they're at least as good as CL and sometimes even softer, though to be fair they don't need to be super soft to be super functional for the horse.

Reacher

Visit site
Anatomical long girth here

You are a bad influence 😂.

I have just taken delivery of a Lemieux wool cover for my long girth- I like the quality of the wool - seems better than on my nuumed numnahs, I’m just trying to decide whether the wrinkles in the fabric would be an issue
IMG_6506.jpeg

criso

Visit site
The odd one comes through that isn't quite as soft but having stocked them for 13 years I find they're at least as good as CL and sometimes even softer, though to be fair they don't need to be super soft to be super functional for the horse.

We'll have to agree they are both great quality.

What the Mattes does have over the Christ is more sizes/styles in the saddlecloth. My Christ one is just about ok on an 18" event saddle, but they don't do a more forward cut or XL so it wouldn't work on a jump saddle.

criso

Visit site

I have just taken delivery of a Lemieux wool cover for my long girth- I like the quality of the wool - seems better than on my nuumed numnahs, I’m just trying to decide whether the wrinkles in the fabric would be an issue
View attachment 115908

Personally I prefer a integrated girth and sheepskin as nothing to move or slip or wrinkle especially for contoured but if you've already got the girth, you don't want to buy another.

I've seen Christ girth covers too but can't see any shaped ones at the moment.

Smooshy

Visit site
I buy sheepskin or wool liners for mine. I have nuumed (wool), le mieux (lambskin), and will be ordering a bespoke courtlea liner- basically anything good quality I can get in brown. I have the prolite narrow gauge girths and le mieux gel-tek girths in different sizes for different saddles. That way I always have something clean to line a girth with.

Last edited:

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I use a Prolite with a Shires supafleece sleeve over it. It's a straight sleeve but will go over the girth. Washes very well and is lovely and soft despite being synthetic.

emily_selby

New User
Visit site
I buy sheepskin or wool covers for mine. I have nuumed (wool), le mieux (lambskin), and will be ordering a bespoke courtlea liner- basically anything good quality I can get in brown. I have the prolite narrow gauge girths and le mieux gel-tek girths in different sizes for different saddles. That way I always have something clean to line a girth with.
Do you put the LeMieux anatomical covers over your prolite?

Reacher

Visit site
Personally I prefer a integrated girth and sheepskin as nothing to move or slip or wrinkle especially for contoured but if you've already got the girth, you don't want to buy another.

I've seen Christ girth covers too but can't see any shaped ones at the moment.
Yes I’d prefer an integrated one , it’s just whether I can justify buying one as I already have a leather anatomical girth. The one you linked to looks very nice!

Reacher

Visit site
I use a Prolite with a Shires supafleece sleeve over it. It's a straight sleeve but will go over the girth. Washes very well and is lovely and soft despite being synthetic.
Does it absorb sweat?
I’ve seen the supafleece girths recommended on here but wondered about the sweat issue

sbloom

Nuumed is wool not sheepkin, it loses the structural integrity of the wool when it's short and sewn into a knitted backing which is why it's seldom as soft.

Smooshy

Visit site
Sorry, think I worded it incorrectly- trying to mulitask. I have liners, they don't fit exactly, so close to edges on one side of the curve, a little showing on the inside. Same with the nuumed. But even with pony being sensitive and prob to rubbing, has never rubbed and it doesn't bother him.

criso

Visit site
Yes I’d prefer an integrated one , it’s just whether I can justify buying one as I already have a leather anatomical girth. The one you linked to looks very nice!

Not anatomical but the ebay one is great value if the size is right, they may even accept a lower offer.

I'd be tempted if i didn't have the exact same one.

Reacher

Visit site
Nuumed is wool not sheepkin, it loses the structural integrity of the wool when it's short and sewn into a knitted backing which is why it's seldom as soft.
The Lemieux also appears to be wool on a woven backing? I wasn’t sure from the description before I bought it.

Reacher

Visit site
I was thinking of doing this as well. Does it fit well?
Apologies, I missed your query.
The fit is ok, I’ve not yet tried it on the horse as I’m undecided whether to keep it. I’m not sure how much it will move/slip. I guess the fit will vary with make of girth - mine is a Total Saddle Fit leather girth.
The middle 2 fastenings are Velcro and quite snug but the 2 fastenings at the ends are elastic and not that snug
IMG_6509.jpeg

IMG_6510.jpeg

Last edited:

sbloom

Anatomical long girth here

Bless the retailer, one does wonder how it's "for dressage".
The Lemieux also appears to be wool on a woven backing? I wasn’t sure from the description before I bought it.

Ahh okay, assumed it was sheepskin. LeMieux is probably pure merino, NuuMed is probably British wool which won't be Merino, hence not as soft, possibly more hardwearing but as NuuMed pads fill with horsehair in a few years then it probably matters not! Mattes is half merino crosses, best of both worlds.

Reacher

Visit site
I was thinking of doing this as well. Does it fit well?
In case you are interested , I kept the girth liner, am am pleased with it so far. Worn doing flat work, poles and a xc training. It hasn’t slipped or rubbed. Photo after an hours lesson.IMG_6522.jpegIMG_6524.jpeg