Sheepskin - how to wash it?

jesterfaerie

Visit site
I have just bought a sheepskin half pad and with it being creme and white I could really do with knowing how to wash it!
And any tips onhow to keep it as lovely as it is now?

Thanks sorry I am asking on here because the website advertised on it doesn't appear to be working or exsist
crazy.gif

Thanks

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You can get special sheepskin wash (have a look at the stephens website). Or you can use a wool wash (bought from the supermarket). I also cover mine in hair conditioner prior to washing - and it's always come up really nicely.

Cool wool wash is always my preference.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Mine are cottage craft half sheepskin saddle cloths. I dont do anything special when washing them, just chuck them in the machine with normal washing powder on a wool cycle. I dont dry them with direct heat, they are left to air dry which can take a bit of time, do sometimes put them in the airing cupboard. So far they have all come out absolutely fine. I suspect that putting them on a radiator would make them go crispy.

jesterfaerie

Visit site
Do you work the condition into it at all?
I am assuming a cheap brand will work the same as any other brand for this?

Thanks a lot AmyMay very helpful, I was rather worried about putting it into the washing machine.

MrsT how long do yours usualy take to dry? Sorry never actually had anything sheepskin before and if radiators may make it crispy then it will just have to dry naturally.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I just sort of massage the conditioner in a bit - and yes cheap and chearful is fine. To dry it I put it on a drying horse (you know those metal dryer things).

CBAnglo

Visit site
I normally use the Bartl Biosol soap or if I have run out, human hair conditioner. I put both directly onto the wool and massage in. I wash mine after 2-3 rides and they are all fine except for one Bartl pad which was a bit odd to begin with (quite coarse in comparison to my other Bartls). The cottage craft ones are the best.

I put them in the washing machine on (I think) a 40 degree wool wash - it should say on the tag. I also just dry them at the yard or on a drying horse - never on a radiator. The only one that went a bit funny drying was the John Whitaker one that I bought - still soft but the quilting shrunk a bit.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
In the airing cupboard probably, I guess, about 12 hours. Would say approximately double that if on a clothes airer in the corner of the kitchen. You will need to plan ahead a little if you want to wash and have a clean dry numnah for a show.

jesterfaerie

Visit site
Sorry I am very late but wanted to thank everyone for their replies.

CBAnglo mine is also a Bartl one, I bought it from my saddler who took the tag off before giving it to me so I had no idea what the washing instructions are and their website won't work for me.