Sheikh Mohammad To Sponsor Endurance Race At WEG

skydy

Visit site
The FEI has lost its mind.

http://www.horse-canada.com/horse-n...nsor-2014-alltech-fei-world-equestrian-games/

For this IMPORTANT sponsor who has been sanctioned by the FEI in the past for drug violations in his endurance horses to be allowed by the FEI to sponsor the WEG is unfortunate.

The questionable practices in endurance racing in the region for which he is an influential member have been be the cause of an FEI "Endurance Conference". http://www.horsesportinternational....guest-blog-from-the-fei-endurance-conference/

Nothing seems to have come of that, and now the husband of the President of the FEI has the endurance race at WEG named for him and his "love of the horse". :rolleyes3:

Last edited:

dianeholmes

Visit site
I have to say my heart sank when I saw that announcement. Nothing will change I fear. This could lead to the demise of the FEI, in Endurance terms any way. I see you are from the USA - your national federation has already raised this possibility, more courage than ours who are almost silent on the topic - shameful..........

Alec Swan

Visit site
All those who compete in any sport, should distance themselves from their governing body, threaten and then carry out, the setting up of a secondary sport-body, and they should do that when there is ANY Mohammad influence or participation.

How such blatant corruption, cheating and dishonesty, can be apparently nullified, because of proffered bribery, and how such behaviour can be countenanced, is a mystery to all..............

......... But STILL it continues.

Alec.

skydy

Visit site
I have to say my heart sank when I saw that announcement. Nothing will change I fear. This could lead to the demise of the FEI, in Endurance terms any way. I see you are from the USA - your national federation has already raised this possibility, more courage than ours who are almost silent on the topic - shameful..........

I do wish that this ridiculous charade would have consequences for the FEI , but I doubt very much that it will.

Worldwide horse sport is addicted to UAE money and the FEI member nations will probably change the rules at the next session, allowing Mme. Haya to be elected to another term as President.

The entire situation is ugly and disappointing.

It is obvious that whatever autonomy Haya enjoys due to her royal status, she cannot defy her husband. She isn't stupid. She does seem a bit out of the loop as far as the general (horse person) population is concerned, not her fault I suppose. As long as federations bow to the UAE and Saudi money, why should she not continue in her husband's best interest?

No one but our own federation is to blame if they allow themselves to be seduced by the money.
I do hope that she will turn down another term as FEI president, especially since she campaigned for the position by advocating term limits, but I am not holding my breath.

Last edited:

skydy

Visit site
Yet again it is blood money that is involved with our wonderful sport. When will we be rid of such and be allowed to compete on a level plane.

I'm afraid that even a complete refusal by ethical endurance nations to participate in the WEG races would not stop region VII from competing against themselves and rejoicing in the result.

It would however send a message that could not be ignored by the press, if the WEG endurance competition was contested solely by region VII riding against one another.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Worldwide horse sport is addicted to UAE money and the FEI member nations will probably change the rules at the next session, allowing Mme. Haya to be elected to another term as President.

This. The money from the UAE is just insane. I guess the FEI just can't afford to cut these certain people out of the sport. On a different (but related) note, having just ridden in Dubai a few days ago - they do ride their horses faster / harder in general than we do here. My hack was basically fast cantering for a good 15 mins at a time (often in deep sand), walk for 5 mins then back cantering again (for 2 hours). The horses were clearly very fit, but I think in general those in the UAE do work their horses harder than we perhaps would.

pip6

Visit site
And it was absolutely unbiased of course even though he paid for it.

His tribe aren't horsemen by tradition, they were sailors apparently.

Pale Rider

Visit site
All those who compete in any sport, should distance themselves from their governing body, threaten and then carry out, the setting up of a secondary sport-body, and they should do that when there is ANY Mohammad influence or participation.

How such blatant corruption, cheating and dishonesty, can be apparently nullified, because of proffered bribery, and how such behaviour can be countenanced, is a mystery to all..............

......... But STILL it continues.

Alec.

Agree with every word of this, this corrupt, dishonorable man should be banned from all equestrian sport. His influence is bad for all the sports he comes in contact with and especially the unfortunate horses. He may have set up and paid for an enquiry by Stevens who exonerated Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, which proves that you get what you pay for.

pip6

Visit site
This is what BEF should be doing!!!!!!

Inreality they authorise a Bahrahini paid for ride to be held at Royal Windsor Horse Show this year with entrants from the corrupt Group VII countries! Of which Bahrain is one! Even worse from that there will be GB riders entering (or asking to enter as entries are by 'invitation' only. Not long ago some of our top riderws were on another forum vehmently slating these countries & there corruption, now suddenly they think it's fine to enter one of their races just because they want to do an FEI race. Their excuse? Trying to beat them clean. Well sorry I don't think pushing a horse hard enough in training to beat a horse that has been trained/competed on drugs is fair on the horse. They keep citing an 'inspirational' talk by a swimmer who did this, but he was a human making a personal choice, these horses have no choice in being trained to these levels. Does this mean we are going to see the incidence of stress fractures & deaths rise as we decend to the cheats level? Suddenly the same riders were saying it was fine to compete in their rides as they wanted to do Windsor (used to be EGB ride there, always quickly booked out, not been allowed to run last two years - coincidence???? Have grassroots members fun been put second to allowing cheating riders & limited number of GB riders to have a hooley around the park? One wonders.) Absolute silence from EGB management regarding their part in the FEI ride & now riders likely to enter are running silent after their team training weekend a couple of months ago. Told to keep mum?

Surely it's up to them to prove they've cleaned up their act & not being allowed to compete internationally until it is beyond question as they have desended so deep into this digusting cheating mire. BEF & FEI have no balls, I'd love to see if they or any of their officials are receiving payments for attending the ride. I remember the rides by Sheik Mo at Euston, all the officals were paid generously to attend, some will sell their souls cheap to do this now their dirty practices are known.

There was a wonderful piece by Cornelius Lysat on Radio 5 regarding the Fenton horses running at Chelters. Roughly he said that this country claims a zero tolerance towards drug cheating, but whilst we allow the horses of a known drug cheat to compete we obviously do not have a zero tolerance policy. Here, here, so right! This should be applied to ALL international competitions regarding group VII countries until they can prove they are clean in & out of training (& not switching horses etc). The Americans have got the response right, the Swiss are doing something about it, silence froom the BEF, here come run one in our country. Absolutely disgusting, they should be ashamed. Maybe some brown envelopes being wafted about again. By the way the Bahrainis are sponsoring ALL of windsor horse show (through manangement company H-power, who I emailed regarding my concerns but they have not responded). Serious mistake in taking dirty money for such a wonderful show. I bet the Queen doesn't know about their horse abuse.

Last edited:

pip6

Visit site
Skydy,

If you have any contact with american endurance riding forum please post that grassroots rides overhere are overwhelmingly against these cheats & their horse abuse. Ironically it seems our governing bodies, BEF & EGB will not take a stand like the US is so rightly doing. So much industry in Europe, especially racing is dependant on the oil dollar they've totally lost their independance, even allowing the 'special priviledges' when sponsoring rides (look into last years Euopean championship debacle on belgium endurance website). Funnily enough the only riders who are willing to look the other way are our FEI riders who are willing to enter the races these cheats pay for under the pretence of it's okay to enter a dirty race as they are clean. To my mind they may as well just be paid a bribe to enter & provide false competition. Many of us would not enter a race paid for by these cheats & are disgusted BEF/EGB are allowing a race to be paid for by them & entered by group VII countries to be held in the uk.

skydy

Visit site
pip6,

I visit the Chronicle of the Horse Forum and have posted the information there about the FEI endurance
scandal. I believe there are a few Brits that frequent the forum and have made their views known.

Here is one thread;

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?429433-FEI-quot-Endurance-Conference-quot

and here is another; http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/s...ammad-to-Sponsor-Endurance-race-at-WEG-Update

Post#10 is from a member of the BOD of the AERC.

I do hope that you will complain to your governing bodies. There is nothing like pressure from the membership to make them see that they are not in step with their members.

In the U.S. the pubic discussion on COTH and other forums is not ignored by the powers that be. I do realize that the U.S. isn't quite so enamored or as dependent on the UAE or Saudi money in endurance racing as is Britain, however I wouldn't be surprised (I will be very disappointed) if our vote goes to Haya being elected again.

USEF loves the UAE money as well...

Most of our endurance riders are not FEI riders either but are concerned about the damage to endurance racing as a whole, if this abuse of horses and cheating continue to be tolerated by the FEI.

Last edited:

pip6

Visit site
Our management, despite extensive discussion on our forum, remains silent. Since their last international team training weekend, our international riders are now silent as well. Makes you wonder if something was said. From my experience at one of these weekends, unless you are a 'yes' person, your face will never fit or gain selection.

Interesting posts on that forum, but a lack of uk comments. We really need to differentiate, those from group VII want to race, they do not want to do an endurance race (what is now becoming called 'classic endurance'). We don't have the space you have Skydy, but we do have some stunning countryside. Here's some photos from the proposed route of a ride I am co-organising in Devon, or come do golden horseshoe, our iconic ride (definately not a race).

Last edited:

skydy

Visit site
Lovely photos!

I AM sorry about the lack of concern by your management for the opinions of it's membership..

Shame on them! By god, my grandmother was British, I know all verses of God Save the Queen , and I tell you I'm disappointed as hell. My grandmother, dead 2 years now, had more balls than your equestrian organizations seem to have.. I have always admired my GM's no nonsense attitude coupled with her wicked sense of humor.

Where is that pony club kick when it's needed?
My best wishes to you. I do hope that if Britain can't effect change, that perhaps the U.S. can create an organization that you would prefer to join, one that is unaffiliated with the FEI.

A word from your grassroots members to the AERC wouldn't be amiss..

skydy

Visit site
Last edited:

Lamb-Ski

Visit site
You raise an interesting point there Skydy! Other than the prominent faces we would never know at an EGB FEI ride which rider was riding which horse. Who would check if the rider was even eligible to compete or even the horse for that matter? I have also wondered how many horses carry the same rider round a 160km race ride. I have timed out of the vet gate and into the vet hold on many an FEI endurance event and other than all our British riders I would never know if the rider leaving the vet hold was the one that rode that horse in (sure you get my drift) Generally, any lack of observation on my part at these events I put down to the chaos that this group always cause as the arrive en-masse with a flurry of sloshing etc as they pass the time keeper, all shouting for there cards!!!! I'm done with EGB, have not renewed my membership and do not intend to give them any of my money or time until they stand up to their mission statement.