Shergar

dancingkris

Visit site
Just seen on the news that its 30 years since Shergar was kidnapped.

Apart from the fact it makes me feel very old....I wonder if the truth will ever come out about what happened to this beautiful horse?

Visit site
There were many claims from various people to have been the ones to have taken him but the most general belief is that it was the IRA.

No matter who took him it is pretty much certain than he was dead within 48hours as he was a notoriously highly strung and hard to deal with horse.

dancingkris

Visit site
Heartbreaking to see his old groom just being interviewed. I think its given that it was the IRA that took him. So sad though that they could never say what happened or where they buried him. He was such a beautiful looking horse - tragic that he's notorious for what he didn't achieve (i.e a long and illustrious stud career) than what he did achieve.

Louise12

Visit site
There were many claims from various people to have been the ones to have taken him but the most general belief is that it was the IRA.

No matter who took him it is pretty much certain than he was dead within 48hours as he was a notoriously highly strung and hard to deal with horse.

On the contrary, he was a notoriously kind and easy horse to deal with, although obviously as a stallion he would require a certain amount of expertise to deal with.

sallyf

Visit site
On the contrary, he was a notoriously kind and easy horse to deal with, although obviously as a stallion he would require a certain amount of expertise to deal with.

Completely agree with this,
We owned one of his sons who was also an absolute saint as are the grand daughters and sons.
Couldnt find better natured horses

Vintage

Visit site
Wow, time has flown!

I remember reading online somewhere about an account of what happened (I cannot remember how genuine it was) about him being hard to handle for the IRA kidnappers and he was shot to pieces with a machine gun. I remember the "The horse would just not die" It paints such a horrible image. :(

DebbieCG

Visit site
This Sunday Telegraph article was published 5 years ago with the headline:

'The truth about Shergar racehorse kidnapping'

It's very hard-hitting and particularly upsetting to hear of Shergar's most probably demise, especially for his old groom and horse caring people acriss the country.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1576718/The-truth-about-Shergar-racehorse-kidnapping.html

In 1981 my own horse Ballymoss was stolen (organised/calculated crime), so I understand about the trauma and ordeal when your horse disappears and you do not know what has happened to them.

Pale Rider

Visit site
I think the loss of any horse in such circumstances is tragic, whether it's a well known valuble horse or not.

The IRA hero's who did this are just common criminals, nothing more.

A terrible time in all our pasts, I for one am happy to leave it there, too many memories.

CatStew

Visit site
It must have been horrible for his owners, trainers, grooms and jockey etc for him to just disappear and not know what happened to him. Must still be terribly upsetting for them all.

I remember watching a film years ago about Shergar, don't really remember it all that well, but there was a young lad riding him bareback (groom maybe) and there was a group of 'baddies' (maybe portraying the IRA) chasing them and he jumped off a cliff to get away from them I think. Does anybody else remember that? Horrible!